The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A little help to find tricks to teach kid's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Yes, I did search and I am still looking, I am working the Children's hospital in DE. And I stroll thru the entire facility. Recently, I have found many kids wanting to genuinely learn. I don't mean the kids who scream out "How did you do that". I don’t mind having to purchase large quantities or make them.
I would like 3 or 4 things to show and teach, if a prop is involved. I would like to give it to them.
Ages run from 6 or 7 on up.
Thanks for reading my plea for help and offering any advice.

Dave
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
---How about Afghan Bands made from strips of newspaper; to make the loops, the kids can use those little blunt end scissors used in primary grades and that white paste that is used in the schools.
---School supply stores have sets of alphabet or number cards that you can break up into packets for the 21-card trick. (If you do some experimenting, the 21-card trick can be re-worked as the 18 or 15 or any multiple of 3 card trick. This could also be done with superhero cards from comic book shops)
---Many "Dollar Tree" type stores have versions of magic tricks like the Ball Vase.
---Linking Paper Clips with strips of paper instead of dollar bills. Use large paperclips, though, for the little kids.(You could put your advertising on the strips.)
---Vanishing Card a la "Tree Card Monte"; use old decks of cards to make them up
---See my "Doorway to Happiness" routine written up here
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=161
and go to a copy center to make up a bunch of doorways on 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheets of colored paper. You can find clipart of doors on the web
http://www.clipartlord.com/wp-content/up......oor2.png
or draw a simple door yourself. But again, use the blunt, rounded edge scissors for safety.

I would actually limit the number of tricks you teach to three. Tell them they can learn a lot more tricks on their own by checking out magic books from the public and school library. Which brings us to...

Last but not least, go to your public library and get a print out of all the magic books in the Children's Book Section. Make enough copies of the list to give to the kids. In my library shows, I often did a couple of tricks that came out of those books and instead of a magic word to make the magic happen whenever I did a trick, I used a magic number--793.8

There are a lot of great tricks in those kids' magic books. What makes them great is that the tricks in those books are easy for young minds to follow.

I hope this gives you a few ideas to brainstorm from.

----- Sonny
P.S. When doing "The Afghan Bands" I often preface it with this commentary:
Sometimes people ask me whether there is any real magic in the world.
What I'm about to show you is as close to real magic as anything I know.
It's a mystery to me why it works!
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A little help to find tricks to teach kid's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL