We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tommy James - Birthday Party Business 3 REVIEW (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
REVIEW: BIRTHDAY PARTY BUSINESS 3 (Tommy James)

By Kimmo

Tommy James is an interesting phenomenon. A few years ago , he seemed to explode on the magic scene from nowhere and instantly become a firm favourite among kids' entertainers everywhere for his entertaining, practical and extremely workable routines, prompting many to wonder where he had been hiding for all these years!
However, it is clear just from watching Tommy perform that he took no shortcuts on his journey and must have worked very hard for many years to become an 'overnight sensation'.
Birthday Party Business 3 completes a planned trilogy of DVD releases from Tommy ( you can probably guess the titles of the other two) . It comes as a two disc set, comprising of the show itself and the explanations.
Disc One really made me nostalgic for the home birthday party show that is all but extinct in the UK, but still thriving across the pond. The performance takes place in a cosy, intimate living room setting and runs for about 45 minutes.
Tommy is instantly likeable. His frenetic pace and hilariously exaggerated reactions keep the children engaged and laughing throughout and his witty asides and wisecracks add extra entertainment value for the adults, but never at the expense of the kids.
From the word go, Tommy is relentlessly fast and funny and the children are with him all the way. Not so much light and shade here - just non stop laughter!
Those looking for new tricks to add to their show will find plenty to consider here. Tommy does use a LOT of props, but for those who prefer to travel light and pack flat, there is the excellent 'Flash Card Opener', a great sponge ball routine, an update to his modern classic - the 'Measle Wand', a couple of very funny rope routines and the wonderful ‘Comeback Bee’ - a version of ‘Homing Card’, which in Tommy’s hands is a comedy masterpiece.
I’ve never cared much for the 'ABC Blocks' trick, but Tommy’s routine and handling are a lot of fun and bring new life to this prop. I may even venture into the attic to dust down my old set!
Other routines of note include ‘Blooming Wands’, in which the birthday girl repeatedly turns poor Tommy’s wand into bouquets of flowers and 'Rainbow Production Panels’ - his handling of which is a great way to add comedy to a silk streamer production.
Disc Two contains explanations of all the effects in the show, complete with advice on routining and handling. Tommy is a great teacher and assumes no prior knowledge, so every move is clearly explained. Whether you are a newcomer to children’s magic or a seasoned pro, you will find something of value here.
Picture and sound quality are great throughout.
Highly recommended.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2215 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Thanks for the Review Kimmo..Looking forward to getting this dvd set soon.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
My apologies to Tommy James - His excellent DVD is, of course, called BIRTHDAY PARTY MANIA 3, and not Birthday Party Business!

The rest of my review still stands.

Sorry to Tommy and to anyone else who was confused!
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
No problem Kimmo and thank you for the great review!

What frustrates me are people currently looking for my new DVD in the selling/for sale section of the Café', so they can buy it cheap, watch it, make a copy for themselves, then sell it, basically getting the information for free. Gee, we just need more people in the world like that.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tommy James - Birthday Party Business 3 REVIEW (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL