The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Practice Locks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kandrew
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
9 Posts

Profile of kandrew
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can purchase 'practice' locks in the UK? Basically, they're normal locks but with visible insides, allowing you to practice picking whilst viewing the workings.

Thanks,

...KAndrew
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Hi Andrew,

Being a locksmith for many years taught me that feel is more important than sight when it comes to picking locks.

Get yourself some picks and pick every lock you come across, soon you will have the feel for it!

best of luck!
Tony Chapparo
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi kandrew,

Tony is right, "feel" is more important than "sight" in being successful with picking open a lock.

If you are wanting some information on how different locks work, how to pick them open, and purchase some to practice with, then you may want to order the Locksmithing course from http://www.foley-belsaw.com . Great info on various types of locks and they send you lots of hands-on work to help you learn.

If you want a pair of cuffs that are cut-away to see what you are doing as you pick them, go to http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.net and look for their handcuff manipulation kit.

Hope that was of some help.

Joe Marotta
kandrew
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
9 Posts

Profile of kandrew
Thanks for the tips.

I'll take your advice and not use a practice lock. Instead, I'll buy a number of different locks.

Thanks again.

KAndrew
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Kandrew, I would recommend getting familar with the inner workings of a lock, know how it operates and what interaction each part has on another. Lock picking is a hand skill which must be fully understood and a CUTAWAY will allow you to see what effect the lock picks are having on each part in turn as you pick the lock. You really need to know what the picks are doing within the lock and this is a short term teaching aid. To further your lockpicking, purchase a cylinder (not a padlock) so you can pull it apart and remove all but two pin tumblers, learn what it feels like to pick these, many times over and by turning the barrel( plug ) to the left and then the right. Add a third pin and prcatice as above, then the four and then the fifth.

Swap the combination of pins around and start again with two pins.

Try to learn more from those who pick locks as a living, there is a lot of misunderstanding on this skill and much misinformation.

best wishes

Ian
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Um......Ian? Is this the Ian I think it is? If it is, listen to anything he has to say on locks and lockpicking....well, just listen to him!!
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Margarette

Have you looked at his profile? I think he might well be the Ian you think he is Smile

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
WOW!! Welcome Ian! Glad your here, your words of wisdom are always valued.

Matter of fact I gotta go to read your 2 new manuscripts.

Care
X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Ian, great to have you here. Unfortuantely, we did not contact you before we toured Australia. We were there performing at the Summer Olympics. We did get down to Melbourne, we won't let that happen again, we hope to be there again soon. We are great fans of your work and use them quite often.

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions
http://www.livingillusions.com
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Ian

Welcome from me too. I have only just been introduced to your work but, well, it looks VERY impressive. I look foward to your wise words here at the cafe.

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi everyone, yes it is that Ian. Richard Jones has just been visiting me for the last three weeks and I have finally found this site with his help.
Thank you all for your warmest greetings. Hi especially to "southern bell" ;-)You know who you are. I will offer assistance when and only if I have the answers.
I prefer that personal conection with inquiries so if you have a special question contact me at imccoll@sympac.com.au but I will drop in from time to time.

Thanks again from all of you whom I haven't met as yet (if only via the net) I am truly touched by the response.
all the best
Ian (jimmy C )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Practice Locks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL