We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Mirror idea (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Hey guys,
I will sometimes use a mirror (black) lying in the center of the table for a seance.

Do you think that it would be too much to place an item on the mirror such as a finger ring or locket and during the seance have it jump/move on the mirror? Overkill?

Ray
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
751 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Could you devise a way to have the mirror fog up around the area where you place the object? It might be more subtle and just as spooky.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 21, 2014, Lo Pan wrote:
Could you devise a way to have the mirror fog up around the area where you place the object? It might be more subtle and just as spooky.

Mmmmmmm, I never thought of that idea....... Sound cool.

The mirror is used to just look into it as the sitter's imagination takes over. I just thought that it would be nice to place the ring or locket of whom I am trying to connect with on the mirror. This would be done to help the spirit come up to the surface/face of the mirror. And having the item jump would enhance the overall affect of staring into the black mirror.

Ray
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2252 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
A mirror would be appropriate to a séance . People used to cover them so the soul of the deceased would not be stolen by them.

The connection to the dead is built into its history.
Perhaps a mirror covered with a black veil over the ring could create a Hyrams Hank style rising effect?

Or movement or levitation of a PK ring could be provided by a strong PKM below the table.

I.T is yet another means to cause movement.

Kotah
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Or the persons ring on the mirror, covered by hank, which then rises.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17538 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I used to gaze into my mirror at home when a small child .. Mirrors are spooky all by themselves!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 21, 2014, KOTAH wrote:
A mirror would be appropriate to a séance . People used to cover them so the soul of the deceased would not be stolen by them.

The connection to the dead is built into its history.
Perhaps a mirror covered with a black veil over the ring could create a Hyrams Hank style rising effect?

Or movement or levitation of a PK ring could be provided by a strong PKM below the table.

I.T is yet another means to cause movement.

Kotah

I agree with what you have written and have already thought of those great ideas. As far as having the item jump and or move, I was thinking of making the mirror so that I didn't have to be near it. Sort of ....remote control.

I do have the black mirror covered at the start of the act to cause more attention to it. Once uncovered I talk about the beings that are on the other side of the glass. I called them Silverings. I also mention "When you brush your teeth or comb your hair at night before climbing into bed, and as you lay there under the safety of the covers, have you ever wondered if your reflection was still standing in the mirror ....... Watching.......... Watching you as you laid in bed?

Ray
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you start off with it covered, and then removing the veil during the seance - could you not use the usual liquids to create some kind of reveal/face when the mirror is fogged up/breathed upon? then rub it away subtly with the cloth as you put the veil back on it...

"closing the portal" as it were...
I've asked to be banned
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
That's a great idea Iain, a sort of grandads glasses type of thing. Another thought would be to scratch a message on the back on the silvered side then place the mirror on a surface that has a small area the same colour. When you move the mirror off that area the message would become visible, you would only have to move it a fraction.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 21, 2014, george1953 wrote:
That's a great idea Iain, a sort of grandads glasses type of thing. Another thought would be to scratch a message on the back on the silvered side then place the mirror on a surface that has a small area the same colour. When you move the mirror off that area the message would become visible, you would only have to move it a fraction.

Yes, all good ideas Iain and George.

I have also played with the idea of having a red light appear from the mirror as I reached to pick up the finger ring. This looks really great but may be a little on the magic side. but .... Wow ..... It does look good in a darken room.

Ray
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2252 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I like the idea of the scratched and shifting mirror George has suggested.

It could be a self contained unit.

back of scrathed mirror cpvered with a sheath of black construction paper.

inside if this sheath a piece of half white, half black cardboard.
Depending upon how the morror is tipped, the writing appears or vanishes.

Kotah
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
We have a method we're playing with that allows an image or words to appear on a black mirror. The words or images can be changed for different presentations.

It uses the high tech material used to instantly change your car windows to black. The nice thing is the default on this stuff is black and when you run a charge through it, it turns clear.

We took an oval piece of clear plexi. Behind it we put the electronic tint. Behind the tint we put black card stock with the image on it.

Hit the charge and the tint goes clear but the mirror still looks black because the tint goes clear in 1/300th of a second, so now you see the black matching card stock with the face on it.

Hit the charge and it disapears.

This mirror (mini traveling vanity) appears to "always be black" Smile

Should have something to see late Sept.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Quote:

These are some great ideas! I was thinking about the possibility of using a hidden humidifier which could either increase the humidity in the room or blow a very fine mist across the mirror from a secret vent close by - then have a device below to make a small area of the mirror very cool and therefore attract condensation or a foggy breath from beyond.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
PMed you, Ray.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Quote:

Possibly have a mirror cut thin so that when it sits within a frame it fills the visible area but can be slid to the right to reveal the message below the scratches while still filling the visible area.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2252 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
In either the low tech or high tech version of the back scratch mirror message,
By employing a resupinated ambigram you kill two birds for the price of one.

Kotah
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It would be hugely angle-y, and would probably only work in your head...

however!

if you stood a set distance away from someone who was sat in a chair, and they could see their reflection in the black mirror, with the liquid stuff that you would usually use to draw on glass to create a reveal (when breathed upon) - you instead used a paintbrush and toothpick to draw on a humanish face, but with extra lines and so on, maybe at the right distance this would overlay their own reflection and they'd be able to see their own self contained imaginary demon/monster/whatever? or just an aged version of themself...

or, do without the liquid, and just have someone kiss the mirror before anyone gets there...show it briefly front and back, and in the seance reveal that one person would receive a kiss from the devil (or whatever)...hold the mirror up very close to them and ask them to whisper a name or talk...and their breath will naturally manifest the kissing lips to appear...
I've asked to be banned
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2014, Slim King wrote:
I used to gaze into my mirror at home when a small child .. Mirrors are spooky all by themselves!!! Smile

Best, reply yet ! Smile
Let things happen in the minds of the sitters, without a gaffed mirror.
I use a Brush and Hand Mirror set (trigger items), the mirror is used by a participant to catch a flash or something that is unseen by the Human eye.
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Mirrors, so creepy.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you don't mind pk'ing a small hand mirror, or just p**ming one, you can create something odd with a Higley eye...

stick a little label on top of the container saying "the most vain man in the world", and whenever you pass the mirror across the eye, it'll gaze at its own reflection on command...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Mirror idea (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL