We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane in Full Light (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1860 Posts

Profile of Anatole
This link will take you to a jpg with some screen shots of my dancing cane routine "The Enchanted Walkingstick."
http://tinyurl.com/lu8r9zp
The jpegs are from a lecture I did for IBM Ring 103's Golden Anniversary celebration.

One of the comments I see often about the dancing cane is that it is too often done with the lights dimmed. This routine was performed at an afternoon lecture for IBM Ring 103 in Norfolk with full house lights and a bright blue backdrop. I am using a Creekmore classic black-and-white cane. Note how far away from my hands the cane floats in the last frame.

A complete write-up of this routine was published most recently in the "Earl Edwards Ring 103 Parade" in the June 2012 issue of _Linking Ring_. It is the same routine I presented at my lecture at Denny and Lee Magic in 2006.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Looks believable to me.
Keith
SHAZAM!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6991 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Tha absolute shame about this classic, beautiful effect is, I walked into a novelty store downtown here, and the teenage girl that works there was doing the Dancing Cane with a visible black thread! All the moves. I asked where she got it. "We sell them!" She pointed to a wall full of them! "They sell like crazy!" Yeah. I imagine they do...

Doug
Brian Soto
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Brian Soto
Victor Voitko have an nice conference over lights and thread.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Even in the juggling store you can find a variation of a fire torch, complete with a black thread. people don't see it as a magic trick it is a form of juggling.
kbmagic201
View Profile
New user
Peoria Illinois
3 Posts

Profile of kbmagic201
Ya from what I learned in my study of veriant styles performance arts, there is a large community of poi artists, hoopers, and people who dance canes lol. It has kind of hit like fire amongst these art forms. Since it dose incorporate dance and mystery, I't makes a perfect fit. Whats next? The Zombie Ball? or Floating table? If so, I'm out of a job lol. =D
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6991 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Welcome to the Café, kbmagic!

If I ever see the Zombie done exposed like that, I will quit magic for good...

Doug
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I've seen cops on the street do cane moves with their nightsticks on a leather cord. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Sadly, the aforementioned crowds have virtually killed the effect completely. I still do it, but I *always* get at least one person who just has to say "it's on a string"- even when I know they can't see it. I've been doing it for years now and have a beautiful routine, use the proper string, background, ect...

But as a result of the 'flow wand' proliferation I've had to relegate it more as a 'performance art piece' than an effect.

However, all that said... I still enjoy hearing the exclamations of wonder, delight, and the proliferation of four letter words from people who have never seen it before.

Mixed bag for certain. I think, like most things, it will eventually drop off the radar and back into our realm where it rightfully belongs.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1860 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Lay people will enjoy a _well-performed dancing cane routine_ whether they know the modus or not. It's like an audience enjoying the performance of a song even though they know all the lyrics. I think any intelligent person will deduce that a thread is involved. When I saw Christopher Fair do the dancing cane back in the 1950's on The Mickey Mouse Club Talent Roundup Show, I knew it had to be a thread, but I assumed it was a horizontal thread like used for the floating ball and I wondered why he didn't get tangled up in it when he performed some of the movies like it went around his body. And yes, Ekuth is right when he says that in time the exposure will drop off the radar, just as the Camel cigarette exposure of the Sawing in Half illusion dropped off the radar. It's been said before that many adults watching a good linking ring routine will say, "I had a set of rings like that when I was a kid, but mine didn't work like yours."

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1860 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Pete, when you wrote that you've seen cops on the street do cane moves with their nightsticks on a leather cord, were you referring to moves like the ones shown in the video "whats up with police twirling their night sticks all the time"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRl1TqSLpFU
The only thing I see resembling a dancing cane move is the way the nightstick spins at around 0:14

The instructions that come with Wack-o-Magic's Ultimate Dancing Cane
http://wack-o-magic.com/dancingcane.html
recommend that the performer _not_ do that move for two reasons:
1) it puts stress on the ultra-lightweight cane
2) it leaves the gimmick motionless, whereas constant motion of the cane helps to make the th---- invisible, which is of course a valid point.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane in Full Light (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL