The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Q & A Routine (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
drewslee1994
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of drewslee1994
Hey guys. Just wanting to get your opinion on my Q & A routine.

Starts off as a normal Q & A, revealing questions that have been sealed in an envelope in full view and answering them. Then I reveal dirty little secrets that the audience have been keeping from everyone (e.g, I wet myself during class time). Then I get someone who has a loved one passed on. And without them saying a word, I give them a dog tag with their loved ones name actually ENGRAVED into the metal tag.

Your thoughts?
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2014, drewslee1994 wrote:
Hey guys. Just wanting to get your opinion on my Q & A routine.

Starts off as a normal Q & A, revealing questions that have been sealed in an envelope in full view and answering them. Then I reveal dirty little secrets that the audience have been keeping from everyone (e.g, I wet myself during class time). Then I get someone who has a loved one passed on. And without them saying a word, I give them a dog tag with their loved ones name actually ENGRAVED into the metal tag.

Your thoughts?

Several. Starts with "revealing questions" while in a Q&A act you should reveal answers - otherwise it's simply not a Q&A act.
On the other hand I think it is symptomatic for many performers that they limit themselves in revealing the questions rather than provinding appropriate answers.

And your 'final kicker' - well, ... this has nothing to do with Q&A - and from my point of view it isn't even mentalism ... but magic. And by this you countermine your position as a legit Q&A Performer ... but expose yourself as a magician.

... just to start with, ...

Cheers
Th.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult

Dis gon' be gud!
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Drewslee1994,
I have to agree with Thomas on this. The dog tag bit isn't for a Q&A act. I just have to ask, what is the reasoning on having a person's name on a dog tag?
I would be hurt to have the name of my loved one on a darn stupid dog tag. There is no reason for it.

Ray
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
You're all over the place with this, Drew. It is NOT a Q & A, rather it can be perceived as an insensitive puzzle! You are presenting yourself as a mentalist, but you then jump into being a Magician/Medium.

I am not trying to be hurtful, but you did ask for opinions. In a word, I think this is, horrible.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Troll.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
If there loved one is a dog I guess it's OK.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
John C, I'm still laughing at your comment Smile Smile
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Can we ignore and move on please? The while thing is utter crap if I may speak freely
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
This is a joke, right?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Agreed.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Oh no, I just bought a job lot of dog tags ! :-( :-[
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:

Then I reveal dirty little secrets that the audience have been keeping from everyone (e.g, I wet myself during class time).

Click here to view attached image.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Anyone who would intentionally reveal embarrassing personal information about people who've come to see his show, belongs on the receiving end of a lawsuit and not on a stage. Subjecting someone to public humiliation and ridicule is an actionable offense in most countries. Including, I'm sure, in Australia.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
Then I get someone who has a loved one passed on. And without them saying a word, I give them a dog tag with their loved ones name actually ENGRAVED into the metal tag.

I hope he's joking, nobody deserves that.
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
The dog tag is a nice touch, but I think a tattoo would be better.

That's the ultimate answer. I would be deeply moved if it were me.

What's Next?

-Alex
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
...and the edition is limited to.....?

Sorry bud, but it sounds too similar to something that is almost about to be maybe released soon.

However, if it's six buck on Lulu, count me in!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Yeah have to agree with others this doesn't come across to me as a Q&A routine to me also I think there is a very fine line you walk when you start revealing peoples secrets I seem to remember Derren Brown doing a very similar thing on one of his TV specials and recall it being a very awkward thing to watch, I think going about this I. A way that won't make the spectator feel awkward is very hard. As for the dog tag finale I don't think it really fits into a Q&A routine also as an overall note your job as a performer is to make sure your audience has a GOOD time and leave feeling happy, not embarrassed about some private secret you revealed about them or depressed about the sensitive memory they have of a love one that you brought up. As always that's just my opinion take it how you want.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
I don't know if the OP is a troll or not. Perhaps he is just truly naive and honestly thinks his idea is good and simply wants some feedback. Now, having read all our comments and seeing how we are all unanimous in our dislike of his idea, I wonder if he will post again?

Drewslee, we have shared our thoughts.. have you any response?
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Unless you're looking for serious trouble, you simply don't reveal "dirty little secrets" about people in public. PERIOD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Q & A Routine (19 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL