We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Q & A Routine (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Given the fact he has 4 total posts I'm not to optimistic lol.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1457 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Unless you're looking for serious trouble, you simply don't reveal "dirty little secrets" about people in public. PERIOD.

It depends on how it's presented. It could be done well and made to play entertainingly. Depends on the performer and their routine and scripting. Reveal the funny dirty little secrets, and keep the inappropriate ones secret.

I wouldn't use the dog tags though, but instead try to find something relevant to the person whose name will appear. For instance, if they were a smoker who enjoyed a nice cigar after work, perhaps you could pull out an engraved cigar cutter and offer that as a gift to the person. Not my cup of tea, personally, but with a little tweaking you may be able to get a strong routine out of it. I'd stick to standard Q&A and then a living and dead test though.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually embarrassing someone as suggested in the OP is NOT entertaining- at least not to the person on the receiving end.

But it is a really good way of insuring that no one else will want to be a participant in the show.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1457 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
What is or isn't entertaining is up to the people being entertained to decide. There are a good number of things I personally don't find entertaining, like watching golf or tap dancing, yet others do. It's not a black and white thing, nothing is set in stone. It also doesn't have to always lead to hesitant participants, if framed and presented in a light-hearted way, it could be fun. Just look at Derren Brown's Svengali. Looked like the audience was entertained and that it didn't really effect his audience participation too much.

Like I said, it depends on how it's presented, the performer, scripting, and all that jazz but it certainly can be done entertainingly, and has been.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

What it comes down to is having respect for the people who came to see your show. Yes, framed in a lighthearted and bantering way you can get away with a lot more than if you were working seriously. But to suddenly switch from lighthearted banter to producing a dog tag, of all things, with someones loved ones name engraved on it is more than a bit jarring. It seems almost like a conflict in persona to me.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1457 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Yeah, I don't like the dog tag idea either.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
The lack of a response from the op leads me to believe its just some troll.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
He has introduced himself in the appropriate place: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......562180#0

He also has a website. Looks like he's from my local area. And has an impressive performance history. See for yourself...
http://www.drewslee.com/#!live/c11rf

I especially like his little "tribute" to Derren Brown. Much like his suggestion, which was just rolling three Derren routines into one.

Smile Smile Smile
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The guy uses Derren Brown's disclaimer on his main homepage? Wow.
drewslee1994
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of drewslee1994
Okay. I can see this JOKE really got out of hand. This was a stab at people who think they have the right to embarrass their audience members. Also at people who think its okay to rip off other people and think that if they change little bits it's okay to do so.

This was a JOKE
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I actually just searched his name on YouTube. He appears to be a younger kid who is in need of a ton of guidance. I absolutely feel like making claims like "master mind reader" is a terrible business move for this guy or anyone who hasn't paid their dues/performed an exhaustive amount of shows with the same material. I consider DB, Cassidy, Osterlind, etc. master mind readers. From the two videos I watched, (which I know isn't a lot) I had a terrible first impression. I'm sure that potential clients had that same impression. I'm not trying to be negative, but honest. Drew, you're new here. Why don't you introduce yourself and tell us more about you?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

"Master Mind Reader" Where have I heard that before? Smile
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, drewslee1994 wrote:
Okay. I can see this JOKE really got out of hand. This was a stab at people who think they have the right to embarrass their audience members. Also at people who think its okay to rip off other people and think that if they change little bits it's okay to do so.

This was a JOKE

Thanks for finally writing back. Who are you kidding? This wasn't a joke.

You really did want our feed back on your misguided Q&A or you wouldn't have asked.....

Now that we have offered our opinions, you now want to come back and save face by pretending that it was all just a joke. You just didn't like what we had to say and is the real reason that you all of a sudden want to change the facts by saying it was just a joke...HA,HA,HA.

Just take your lumps and learn from it. That is what men do when they ask for the opinions of others.

Ray
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
Smile Smile ;-)
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10434 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Ugh. Another cocky young performer. Is it the age of YouTube and theory11 that mediocre people feel they are in the same level as a mastermind reader?

I was hoping this thread was going into obscurity and I'll bet the op was too. Ya what a joke.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
Here here !
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Sorry guys. To me it seems that prople have been coming down hard on this young man, not just on what he said, but on assumptions about the guy.

I guess this will teach people to ask questions here. How dare they?

:(
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10434 Posts

Profile of saysold1
He said it was a joke tony. Was it a joke or was if a legit but off putting question?

Those with legit questions are ore often than not treated with respect. Those that are trolls or play childish jokes can and should get flushed IMO.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Yes, he said it was a joke, after 3 days of being torn apart.
He also posted an introduction post where he said he was 20 years old.

As a 20 year-old, he may have said it was a joke to avoid humiliation (as Ray pointed out).

I know when I was 20, I had some brilliant(?) ideas that make me quiver now.

It is threads like this that give this area such a bad (and deserved) reputation.

I know I'm as guilty as everyone else, but there comes a time when we should grow up and act like adults and leave the school yard mentality and bullying behind.

Just my thoughts.

Tony
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18030 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its online
he's not continued to feed the thread to wind people up (so no real trolling)
it was silly, but most of us have made silly posts
at 20, you're allowed to be full of ego and ideas
we all start off somewhere

but no need to bully the kid just cos he did something silly...
NEW - ECCE LOQUOR - how to read anything
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/ecce-loquor/paperback/product-24204371.html

BIG SALE ON...no code needed...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Q & A Routine (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL