The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dream Prediction Elite- Paul Romhany (53 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Ooh, probably from the same place as the good ones.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I could see this being useful for more impromptu situations such as "can you show us something?" since this happens frequently. I could see it losing credibility if someone were hopping tables with it. It becomes- show us that trick again.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9672 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I understand your point but still disagree. This is another example of taking something that plays big (huge actually) on stage and reducing it, downsizing it, making it play SMALLER, thus reducing it's impact. This seems to be a trend in magic and now mentaism. It used to be there were effects for stage and there were effects for closeup. Each respected the other, now it all gets lumped together into a mishmosh of low impact downsized for the lowest common denominator. Truly sad, of course the guys that do closeup or walkaround fail to see this and disagree.

The effect was created as a stage effect to play big. Why mess with what it was intended for?
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I think that a great routine using billets is more appropriate than a close up confabulation routine. Plus, nobody carries a leather wallet with a notepad in it while doing walkaround. The only justification I can see for the prop is that it's the pad waiters use to take orders. Do you want people associating the mentalist with the waiter?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9672 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Maybe they'll get better tips? I agree.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I think your points made above are good ones, Mindpro, but I would say that not all walkabout and close up magicians disagree with you.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
I understand your point but still disagree. This is another example of taking something that plays big (huge actually) on stage and reducing it, downsizing it, making it play SMALLER, thus reducing it's impact. This seems to be a trend in magic and now mentaism. It used to be there were effects for stage and there were effects for closeup. Each respected the other, now it all gets lumped together into a mishmosh of low impact downsized for the lowest common denominator. Truly sad, of course the guys that do closeup or walkaround fail to see this and disagree.

The effect was created as a stage effect to play big. Why mess with what it was intended for?

There is nothing inherently "stage" about a prediction like this. In fact, talking about dreams, and predictions, and a connection between two people is an inherently intimate effect which I think probably loses its impact for each person you add. I do a similar effect which is devastating one on one.

You're letting the size of the envelope dictate to you the environment an effect should be performed in rather than the content and context of a routine. So I disagree that this is "a stage effect."

I do agree that doing it from table to table would lessen the impact of this effect, because this is something you can very much play up as being a genuine connection, but not so much if you do it with every table. Of course, most stage magicians don't usually create a really interesting or resonant moment with this effect either, for them it's just another clumsy goofy prediction.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9672 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
If you're looking at Confabulation as merely a prediction effect and think the only things that makes it play big is the size of the envelope, you are missing the entire premise behind the presentation. It's many things on many levels that culminates with the prediction. It's not the prediction or size of the prediction that makes it play big, it's the process that makes it play big and creates the impact. This is what is being diminished.

Closeup, tableside, to me they're the same in the context of my points.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I find myself in agreement with both Joe AND Mindpro. I think a confabulation effect like this can play close up but the nature of the prop that appears to be provided seems to suggest this release is geared at table-hopping which I think is entirely the wrong environment for mentalism effects.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
If you're looking at Confabulation as merely a prediction effect and think the only things that makes it play big is the size of the envelope, you are missing the entire premise behind the presentation. It's many things on many levels that culminates with the prediction. It's not the prediction or size of the prediction that makes it play big, it's the process that makes it play big and creates the impact. This is what is being diminished.

Closeup, tableside, to me they're the same in the context of my points.

Maybe if you were to perform it close-up it wouldn't work, but I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. This effect and presentation is ideal for a small crowd. It is one of the most powerful things you can do one-on-one. It definitely gets a polite round of applause on stage. But doing this sort of thing in an intimate setting brings chills and tears and is truly unsettling.

I don't really like this particular wallet set-up. But to imply this effect won't work close-up is nonsense. It kills. And it can still be "many things on many levels that culminates with the prediction" whatever that may mean.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9672 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I never said it wouldn't work closeup. You are missing my point. You may have also never seen it play properly on stage as it gets much more than polite applause. I've seen it bring the house down and be a closer to a standing ove6tion - regularly.

Also, as I said, you must be a closeup performer.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
I never said it wouldn't work closeup. You are missing my point. You may have also never seen it play properly on stage as it gets much more than polite applause. I've seen it bring the house down and be a closer to a standing ove6tion - regularly.

Also, as I said, you must be a closeup performer.

I'm not missing your point. You said performing it close up "trivializes" it. You seem to be one of these people who thinks the trick defines the performer. This is, unfortunately, all too common and completely not a surprise to me. This is why we have 100s of stage-magicians performing near identical versions of this trick. Because for them, the trick is the thing, not the performer.

There are certainly aspects of this effect you can play up on stage, but there are aspects too that you can play up in a more intimate environment. A good performer can make it work in either environment.

It's funny, you don't find the people who are proficient in this craft fretting and fumbling and worrying about what's a stage trick and what's a close-up trick. That's because personal charisma should allow you to make the smallest trick play to the biggest audience, or make the biggest trick personal to one individual. But, of course, that's something you can't buy.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9672 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
You couldn't be more wrong as there is a thread in Penny where I was talking exactly about that it's not about the trick or the effect but it is about the performer and the presentation. As a proficient performer for my entire life that is the reason I don't care for and support this movement of stage material being reduced to closeup or walkaround. Any professional knows it's all about the performer and not the effect. As I have said here many times before, any true decent entertainer should be able to go on stage without a single trick, effect, prop, instrument or normal material of any kind and still be able to entertain a paid audience for 75-90 minutes. Most that say they're pros can't truly do this.
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
I think whenever you adapt a stage routine to a close up performance you Lose a little bit of its strength, stage allows for bigger build up, mood lighting some music to add to the moment and an overall bigger and better reveal. This is not to say though that because of this all of the strongest mentalism effects should be used for stage only, though a performance of the close up version of confabulation will almost certainly not play as strong as the stage routine, it is reasonably to argue that t will still in its weaker state be a stronger effect then say a book test or some sort of drawing duplication.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10569 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I'm not picking sides but there are many effects that have gone from a full sized to mini or strolling size - MOABT is but one of many examples. I don't think the smaller edition of MOABT hurt it in any way, and actually had some extras at a better price point.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1630 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Regarding Dream Prediction Elite, maybe have a look at Ron Wilson's classic Confabulous routine (in his book) and just adapt it for loading into a destination of your choice, such as a s**t envelope. I can't see the need for special equipment -- but hey, I've been wrong before. (It was around 1991 . . .)

If you're looking for an excellent close-up prediction routine, there's Anthony Lindan's "Fortune and Fate." It was published in a now hard-to-find booklet that includes a hugely improved variation by Dan Garrett. The original Lindan routine was called "Quizmaster" and was published in Apocalypse, Vol.12, No. 10 (Oct. 1989).

"Fortune and Fate" uses three business cards and a pen. It has a quiz-show presentation and can be very funny; however, the basic method can be adapted to any presentation you choose.

Cheers,
Jerry
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Jerry; I don't want to derail the thread but can you say anything more about the ron wilson version. Sounds like no special props as such t how does it play out?

Thanks

P
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
I can guarantee you dream elite is the best confabulation out there. All Paul's effects are well thought out and a workers delight. Paul is brilliant, I use all his products and so do all the working pros.
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
Hello everyone,

I have some information that may help you with your opinion on this new effect from Paul Rohmany. I spoke with Paul to get some insight and he asked me to include the following request:

"You can always email me questions to see if it will fit your needs - between performing, running VANISH MAGAZINE, travelling to lectures plus a family I very rarely get on to The Magic Café these days but do make time to answer those who are serious about magic and find the time to write to me personally."

I want to thank Paul Rohmany for his help and patience with my questions for this effect and I will do my best to further help with any questions any of you have about the Dream Prediction Elite. He was kind enough to demonstrate the Dream Prediction Elite to myself and other staff at Hocus Pocus via video message so we could see it work and can better answer your questions.

A bit of background - 10 years ago the Dream Predication was released - Paul's one man stage version of a giant confabulation that can be done solo. Everything he creates is done so for his own needs and working conditions. Paul works cruise ships as well and needed something that could play to a 1500 seat theater. He didn't want to rely on assistants so Dream Prediction was created. Then Dream Prediction Lite was created for smaller venues as you can see here at the Magic Castle from Jimmy Houglin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrHVZok1sL4

Five years ago Paul started doing more walk-around again at weddings, trade shows and various close-up gigs. Again He created DP Elite to meet his needs. Paul wanted something that had instant reset, could be done under most working conditions he found himself in, and using an open prediction just like Dream Prediction. Paul teamed up with his friend and illusion designer Mark Parker and set about redesigning the envelope - it has taken four years to get this to where they wanted it to be so it will work in every close-up condition. Some have asked is the method the same. They had to completely redesign the envelope so it could be done under close-up conditions and changes were made. While the basic idea is the same those who own the original will notice differences with this one. Again Paul created it to meet his needs.

There was also a desire to have an instant reset - which has been achieved here. As you can understand with close-up, it couldn't be something you have to go and hide in a corner after working a table and to reset. The reset with Dream Prediction Elite takes less than a second. Actually you reset as you put it back in your pocket. To set it up so you can perform this all night you need to do some preparation before you head out to the gig but nothing major.

The great thing about Dream Prediction (any version) is that you are only limited by your imagination. Paul shows you a basic routine of a Dream Holiday but you can take the concept and do anything with it. You can predict lottery numbers, headline predictions, dream movies, etc.

At Hocus Pocus we look at this as a tool, and any professional performer knows the value of having an effect they can easily adapt to fit their working conditions. The thing we've always liked about any Confabulation type routine is the ability to adapt it to fit your working needs. Paul Rohmany has done this for trade-shows, at movie premiers, launch parties etc. and each time the routine was structured to fit the gig.

In the DVD Paul shares a few ideas such as a lottery ticket prediction and a numerology presentation. He also mentions you can have your prediction written on ANYTHING - on the back of money, business cards or paper. As he says in the instructions you are only limited by your imagination.

The Dream Prediction Elite comes with a ‘wallet’ type notepad which helps with the performance and enables you to perform this without worrying about angels. Paul has done this at every walk-about function now for a few years and it is always with him. It’s his go to routine. He also has friends who have beta tested this and all of them are now using it in their strolling gigs or any close-up situation.

The wallet also helps protect the envelopes so they last a long time. You are supplied with ten which should last you years and give you lots of different options when it comes to performing. The wallet is made from high grade leather and made by Alan Wong who has done an amazing job.

Again, I hope this helps address some of your concerns and questions. If there is anything else you need answered please let me know and I will do my best to answer quickly for you.

Thank you,

Cole
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
Toll Free: 800-407-4040
www.hocus-pocus.com
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Dream elite is brilliant,that's all I have to say .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dream Prediction Elite- Paul Romhany (53 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL