The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dream Prediction Elite- Paul Romhany (53 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1502 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
I find myself in agreement with both Joe AND Mindpro. I think a confabulation effect like this can play close up but the nature of the prop that appears to be provided seems to suggest this release is geared at table-hopping which I think is entirely the wrong environment for mentalism effects.

While I am just starting to get into mentalism I agree with what you are saying to an extent. I agree that this should not be used over and over again table hopping, however, I do think this would be valuable to carry for that one special table or group. Forgetting about the prop used and the fact that is is a well known routine, to a lay audience, this would kill. Them being able to keep the prediction as well would really sell the effect. So table hopping, no, but is it worth the asking price, I think if the leather pad is of good quality then yes, I can see this playing well. Like I said, though, I perform pieces of mentalism but I am not a mentalist at all. So everything above is just my small, humble opinion.

With respect for the real mind readers on this board
-Eli
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Hi Eli,

I'm afraid I'm rather old fashioned and stuck in my ways and think mentalism should be performed by mentalists and magic by magicians. I know that is no longer the case, but (as in so many areas of life)I yearn for the old days. Smile

Martin
doktorp
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of doktorp
Sonds great. How big (in cm) is the wallet???

Thanks
Patrick Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10574 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Hi Eli,

I'm afraid I'm rather old fashioned and stuck in my ways and think mentalism should be performed by mentalists and magic by magicians. I know that is no longer the case, but (as in so many areas of life)I yearn for the old days. Smile

Martin

So in the world of mentalism, I'm curious how a confabulation type effect fits within the definition of mind reading. Precognition? Mental magic? Prediction?

I'm not trying to be facetious but it seems to me that a typical confab routine borders more in the edge of magical rather than mentalism generally. Even Copperfield has been doing his license plate routine for years and it's thoroughly entertaining.

I've been wanting to do a confab routine for a long time and last year I bought Cody Fishers pro routine but it struck me a little too dependent on wearing certain clothing and the gimmick a little too arts and craftsy for me (it is a great take on the effect).

I'm interested in Pauls version as a compact and streamlined version appeals to me.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
I watched Paul perform this yesterday and I have to say the many uses become obviously apparent. The quality of the leather looked really good and the redesign on these envelopes makes this a slam dunk in a close up setting. I can estimate the size of the wallet, I would guess it is 7 inches by 4.5 inches (17.5cm x 11.5cm), but I will check with Paul when he is available. Saysold1 I have to agree with you that while mentalism may be considered a different "branch" of magic, I have watched magicians my whole life and have always enjoyed the confabulation type of effects. I know they are different but I believe with some creativity you can work almost anything into your act.
Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
Toll Free: 800-407-4040
www.hocus-pocus.com
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2419 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Hi Eli,

Martin

Hi Martin, I don't know the actual stats but there have been a number of great magicians who have gone on to be great mentalists, Gary Kurtz for one. One adept in both can produce some incredible Theatre.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Cole,

Thanks for offering solid information about Dream Prediction Elite. In-depth detail makes all the difference when considering a magical purchase (as opposed to just "he's brilliant, buy all his stuff" type posts).

I appreciate Hocus Pocus giving customers straight facts and assuming they're intelligent enough to make discerning judgments based on this information.

Cheers,
Jerry

P.S. Paul Wingham -- I sent you a PM.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10574 Posts

Profile of saysold1
The thing about a typical confab is that in some ways it feels "too" perfect. That's my only hesitation and to me that's what makes it feel more like mental magic. Am I wrong ?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
599 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
The thing about a typical confab is that in some ways it feels "too" perfect. That's my only hesitation and to me that's what makes it feel more like mental magic. Am I wrong ?

Sure, it does look suspicious being too perfect (I'd see it more as a miracle than as a mental magic effect - even though probably using a wallet to write stuff surely seems supicious enough as to see it more of a magic effect).

But you could address what you mention by being a bit wrong about one of the predictions, no?

For example, if you tell them to choose a city you might be ambiguous about it and predict the country, etc..

Just my 2 Euro,

Andreu.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, saysold1 wrote:

In my view, Confabulation (at least the Ron Wilson version, "Confabulous") is one of the great routines in mentalism. It can be done with any theme (including one geared to the audience's interests), it involves multiple audience members, there are no "special" magic-type props (e.g., Mental Epic board), and the effect itself is utterly amazing and baffling.

Any three things named by audience members are mentioned in a sealed letter taken from your wallet -- a letter written in everyday prose. An audience member can take it home as a souvenir (and it has your contact information on it, if you like).

To me, the routine is perfect (but not "too perfect"). Mental magic or mentalism? I think it suits either.

Cheers,
Jerry
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
959 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Just called hocus Pocus. Paul and his team
Are always there to give you real information on what you want to buy.
Call them for any questions, although cole did an amazing job with his post I doubt anyone has anymore questions.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1232 Posts

Profile of Jared
I'm sure that this effect is nicely produced but the thought of having to carry a special wallet to perform this seems a little impractical. Also, given the nature of strolling in itself, longer routines such as "Confabulation" can be difficult to execute in the real-world without having to feel like you're rushing the presentation. If I were to attempt such a routine, I'd probably be more inclined to use either Mark Southworth's (pocket friendly) "The Box" or David Regal's "Special Delivery" but with only a single (gaffed)window envelope.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Any reviews about it ? I want a full performance !!! Sadly there isn't any .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
They are not ready to ship, so no reviews yet.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2374 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Its now looking like a couple of weeks until this is available.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Huh ... Planning to get this but ... Not sure if it will be worth , as mentioned in some previous posts ...
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
714 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Any new news on when this is getting released?
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2374 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2014, illusioneer wrote:
Any new news on when this is getting released?

I have heard the wallets are still being made and no firm date.

This drives me nuts when people don't stick to pre-order dates, we have seen it before but why can't they give a date they can stick to?

As soon as I get firm news I'll post here.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2374 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
The latest news is that this is expected at the end of September, Paul's supplier has let him down even though they were well aware these were supposed to be delivered by now.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1516 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
I worked on the prototype for this project and never received any payment not even for the shipping costs.

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dream Prediction Elite- Paul Romhany (53 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL