The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slyidini silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alex cahill
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of alex cahill
Does anyone know where I can buy the right silks from here in the uk? thanks guys
cat26
View Profile
New user
Manitoba, Canada
99 Posts

Profile of cat26
They are made of a parachute nylon. You may be able to contact a supplier of this type of material and make them the size you require. Cheers.......
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Using the search feature at the top of the page I found this -
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=54

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22245 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Army surplus supply store carry parachutes. If you have such a store in the UK, purchase a parachute and take to a tailor to make for you.

Bill Smile
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
L&L publishing has just come out with a package deal for this very effect. This has been disscussed in another thread as well. Check out http://www.llpub.com it will give you all the info.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Alex,

Another name for the material used is Rip-Stop Nylon. Actually it is totally unnecessary. Tony was a tailor and wanted them to look like men's handkerchiefs. He taught his students with real silk. Tony was also not a large man and made them 21" rather than 24" (like silks come) for his convenience.

I still have some he made for me in colors because I do dove magic. They are about thirty-five years old and look worse than 200 year old silk.

Just learn the trick! There is really nothing special about the hanks if you use two different color silks.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Bob is right about the material, and the fact that silk works best. I have purchased rip stop nylon, parachute nylon, satin polyester, and others, but nothing works as well as silk. And there is the issue of putting the hems in properly. If the hem is not smooth and small, then you risk the knots binding. I have never been able to hem them good enough to be comfortable to perform with them. Therefore, I use silks. I like a 6-8 momme weight, but 5's work fine. I just tie a small piece of thread to each diagonal corner on one of the silks, and I am ready. I prefer not to use different colored silk due to the fact that the knots are "upset" can become evident by the contrasting colors.

Learn the routine from The Annotated Magic of Tony Slydini just as it's taught, and then personalize it to make it your own. Tony would present it as a challenge, usually picking large men. He would sometimes have them have a tug of war with the silks to prove the knots were tight. Then this little man would merely separate the silks and say, "No, I don't think you understand....." or "You don't think I'm serious, do you? You don't want to pull them tight?" as he effortlessly separated the silks. There are several phases included, as well as some alternate knot sequences.

Like an egg bag or rings, in the right hands, this can become a masterpiece.

Enjoy!

Scott Compton
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thanks Scott!

I typically use different color silks because I let my spectator pick the colors. (Real proof of no gimmicks!) Then I give the spectator his/her favorite color silk to keep after the routine. (It also helps get future bookings! And sometimes they will bring that silk back to use because they think it must be "special". The customer is ALWAYS right!)

On same color silks, it's easy enough to put a small pencil or Sharpie pen line to help you keep them separated in your mind.

By the way, real silk has 2/3s the tensile strength of steel. Nylon deteriorates in any light. Strength is hardly a problem.

It's a great routine and can be fit right in with sympathetic silks, MisMade Flag, Soft Soap (with real silks) and many others. It just takes two silks. (I use 18" unless doves are on the way. Then I use 24" silks.)

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Sharpie lines....now why the he** didn't I think of that! Either you are brilliant, or I'm an idiot.....wait a minute.... I think it's both.

What a great tip. Man, I love this place.

Thanks a million, Bob!

Scott
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Scott,

It works! That's how I tell the white one from the black one.

Bubba Earl
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slyidini silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL