The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Theory Book Should I Read First? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
I strongly believe theory is important, and so I have bought some of the most highly recommended books available. However, life happens and I only have so much time I can devote to reading. I have bought Strong Magic- Ortiz, Maximum Entertainment- Weber, The Magic Way- Tamariz, and The Five Points in Magic- Tamariz. Which one should be my first read and why?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5964 Posts

Profile of motown
Strong Magic.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Al Schneider's "Theory and Practice of Magical Deception"
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
I second strong magic
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
237 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Personally I would go for Maximum Entertainment....assuming of course that you have some experience performing. If you haven't then I would leave the books behind (all of them) and go and perform for strangers for a while.
Let the Entertainment Commence!
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
193 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Darwin Ortiz's Designing Miracles is absolutely essential. Much better than Strong Magic, though that is very good as well. Though neither are really for beginners.
Joe McIntyre
View Profile
New user
New jersey
61 Posts

Profile of Joe McIntyre
I would go with the Juan Tamariz books.
ZakKnapper UK
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ZakKnapper UK
Strong Magic is a good one to start with, also if you can try Theory and Practice of Magical Deception, and many more.

Zak
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I would go with Strong Magic
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1034 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I don't think it matters. If you have already purchased all of them, just read one, take notes and apply, then repeat with the next. You're likely going to have to (and want to) read each book more than once to get the maximum benefit. Of course, performing in between reading books will yield even more fruit since you'll have empirical knowledge which can be fortified by the theory you're going to read.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
Good point, Doctor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Theory Book Should I Read First? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL