We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Wizard Wars Card Trick (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

melvinsoto
View Profile
New user
Puerto Rico
16 Posts

Profile of melvinsoto
Today I watched the first episode of 'Wizard Wars' and I saw this effect that the second team did to Penn, where he signed the card, then they "steamed" the card in Penn's hand, and the signature disappeared and appeared inside the middle layer of the card. Any clue what's the name of the effect? I would really love to add that to my act!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
It is her (Ekaterina's) personal effect and she is 90% sure she will not be releasing it according to her YouTube Channel comments after that clip.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, Poof-Daddy wrote:
It is her (Ekaterina's) personal effect and she is 90% sure she will not be releasing it according to her YouTube Channel comments after that clip.

That 10% is still in play. As of this writing, there is a link to the video on her Facebook page which is eleven hours old: "Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to my original card magic effect 'LAYERS'. Comment if you would like me to release it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uSPPZNDx1c"

I really hope she does release it, but I admit that's just me being selfish. There's a lot of counterpoint on the Facebook thread, though, with a bunch of folks urging her to keep it to herself, and I do see their logic.
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
So happy to see another magician show on tv and especially one run by pen and teller I look forward to more episodes as long as they don't start exposing every trick to the public like they sometimes do lol.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of Tom G
As for it being released, if it works in the real world and not just on TV/Video, it would be interesting.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, Poof-Daddy wrote:

That 10% is still in play. As of this writing, there is a link to the video on her Facebook page which is eleven hours old: "Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to my original card magic effect 'LAYERS'. Comment if you would like me to release it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uSPPZNDx1c"

I really hope she does release it, but I admit that's just me being selfish. There's a lot of counterpoint on the Facebook thread, though, with a bunch of folks urging her to keep it to herself, and I do see their logic.

I was actually one of the first commenters (on the YouTube comments) (Jeff Ashkettle) who urged her not to release it, which was where she commented back that she was 90% against for the same reasons (as well as several others). It is a great effect and I hope she holds on to it and gets many miles out of it before releasing it "someday" in the distant future. The problem with releasing it now, is... It's HOT. it was just on TV and everybody in the magic world is looking for it. So I bet youtube is full of trolls right now searching for an exposure vid and there are those who would buy it right away to expose it "just to get the hits on their channel and the advertising bucks that come with it" (that's another discussion in "the Workers" forum right now. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

That being said, there are others out there with similar outcomes. Some possibly were the inspiration to this effect. I think this one is the best I have seen in many years. I owned a pretty good one many years ago where they signed a card with a special pen (not a marker) you secretly pushed the signed card against a gel like substance and the secretly pushed another card against it - transferring the signature. Smile it was not hard to do (not as hard as the description makes it sound) but it had other flaws. Great give away for the specs though.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Sadly that youtube link says "video removed by user"
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
It's down on her youtube and Facebook too. Must have had to pull it because it was "show footage" or something. Too bad, it was a great effect to watch.

Smile Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6988 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, Poof-Daddy wrote:
The problem with releasing it now, is... It's HOT. it was just on TV and everybody in the magic world is looking for it. So I bet youtube is full of trolls right now searching for an exposure vid and there are those who would buy it right away to expose it "just to get the hits on their channel and the advertising bucks that come with it"

That makes me SICK. Trolls is too good a word. Leech would be more appropriate. I cannot print the other words that come to mind...

Doug
colin72
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of colin72
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, melvinsoto wrote:
...they "steamed" the card in Penn's hand, and the signature disappeared and appeared inside the middle layer of the card. Any clue what's the name of the effect? I would really love to add that to my act!

If she releases it, you'll be disappointed and won't be adding it to your routine. I can't be the only one who actually looked at the signatures. It will not work in the real world... unless maybe you're working on stage and not handing the card out.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, colin72 wrote:

If she releases it, you'll be disappointed and won't be adding it to your routine. I can't be the only one who actually looked at the signatures. It will not work in the real world... unless maybe you're working on stage and not handing the card out.

there were other things that we as magicians would note too that a layperson wouldn't notice (like how easy and perfectly the layer peeled off) but I agree, as with many routines... There would be A LOT of disappointed buyers. I wouldn't use it for anything less than parlor also. with no "hand out" just a brief showing around.

Smile Smile
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1345 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, colin72 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, melvinsoto wrote:
...they "steamed" the card in Penn's hand, and the signature disappeared and appeared inside the middle layer of the card. Any clue what's the name of the effect? I would really love to add that to my act!

I noticed the same thing as colin72. While I think that you CAN hand the card out, I don't think that this would be very practical for the average magician. I had made a comment in the YouTube video, but never got a reply. I said that even it it was exposed, it's not something that the average YouTube "hack" magician would be able to show you how to make.

In case anyone wants to see it that hasn't seen it yet, she posted a new video, showing her performing it for Spidey.

http://youtu.be/j6xKeqWpLL4

Provided that you have the right cable provider, you can still see the original performance from Wizard Wars on the Syfy site.

http://www.syfy.com/now/wizard-wars
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Since it was taken down...

For anyone who did not see it, here it is performed for Spidey (w/o the tv show footage)

Smile Smile
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Loved the trick

Glad she's keeping it to herself for the foreseeable future .. It may be hot, but that's no reason to release it to hobbyists everywhere.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Paul Edmondson
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Paul Edmondson
Did this ever come out? I really would love to learn this routine or anything similar that inspired it.
RodrigoGrando
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
231 Posts

Profile of RodrigoGrando
EkaterinaMagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of EkaterinaMagic
Hi guys, four years later. Layers is now released. I released it through my own store, so I can control the quality of my products:
https://ekatmagic.com/

Let me know what you think.
Any questions, please don't hesitate. As a reviewer of magic items... I am ready Smile

Thanks
Ekat
Carta Mundi
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carta Mundi
I love it.
Recoplon
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Recoplon
So we need the a signature "pre-show", right?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Wizard Wars Card Trick (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL