The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » B'wave vs Twisted Sisters (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Hey guys, what's the difference between these 2 tricks?
It looks pretty much the same to me...
and secondly...both these tricks use gimmicked cards??
thanks
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
There very similar. Twisted Sister takes the idea a step further. Eugene Burger said that Twisted Sister took a great trick (B'wave) and turned it into a good trick. For what it's worth.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I bought TS and performed it to an ok response. Believe it or not my audiences always figured that people always picked the same cards and it was a matter of odds. The were nevcer amazed because they figured they knew how it was done. I started to perform it as B'Wave and I got much better reactions. Also my presentation options opend up to me and I was able to inject a lot more humor and audience participation into it. I'm just giving you my experience. I'm not saying anything bad about TS. I have a layman friend who saw TS performed and it floored him. Perhaps B'Wave fit my style over TS.

The difference is that one uses one packet of cards and the other (TS) uses two. In BW people have to really coopperate with you. In TS you have a reason to ask what color card they pick. In BW my reason, should they ask, is that the book says they are supposed to tell me which will often get a chuckle.
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Quote:
On 2004-01-21 14:27, lastnitesfun wrote:
There very similar. Twisted Sister takes the idea a step further. Eugene Burger said that Twisted Sister took a great trick (B'wave) and turned it into a good trick. For what it's worth.

Mark

Eugene Burger thinks that anything by Max Maven is great. This is quite often true, but in this case, I think Twisted Sisters takes the prize.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
For a great take on performing B'wave, check out David Eldrige's book " An act Of B'wavery".

He also has a video teaching Equivoque and uses B'wave as an example.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
kermitthefrog
View Profile
Regular user
France
128 Posts

Profile of kermitthefrog
In Twisted Sisters, there are two packets of face-down cards on the table: blue-backed queens on one side and red-backed queens on the other. The two spectators each pick a pile and think of a card in that pile. The cards they thought of are revealed to be face up (unlike the other three cards in each pile), and to have changed places (between the two piles). The other cards in each packet are turned over and revealed to be blank. That description is a little rough, but it will do for now.

B'Wave is about the same, but with one packet of cards. The spectator thinks of one of the cards, and it is revealed to be face up, unlike the other three. I believe the other three are shown to be blank, but can't remember; I once owned it, but that was ten years ago.

B'Wave is a little simpler. You can do Twisted Sisters with one spectator, but it works a little better with two, since then each gets his own pile and the single spectator doesn't have to remember too much. On the other hand, there are more climaxes in Twisted Sisters, and since there are more cards involved it seems more impossible, at least in my opinion.

The principle on which the two tricks operate -- the basic gaff -- is very similar. In neither case can the cards be examined at the end. Obviously whether this is a problem depends on your performing environment and style.

Phil Goldstein is a brilliant magician. So is John Bannon.

Both tricks are terrific. I've owned both, and personally I prefer Twisted Sisters under all circumstances and thus gave away my B'Wave ten years ago. But it's a matter of taste, and the differences just sketched may help you determine which would suit you best.

Have fun.

KF
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
I was with Eugene in a workshop where he spoke on the topic. One of his best lines was akin to "Magicians love to improve things like a bull improves a china shop." And, in the opinion of myself and others, that is a good opinion about TS. B'Wave, whether on stage or close-up, is a fantastically simple yet mind blowing effect. TS takes it one step but falls over the egde doing so. Some things don't need improvement.

And from personal knoweledge, Eugene Burger dislikes any effect in which a counting element seems involved and, Max's or not, doesn't like them at all.

Mythically,
Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
I will actually have to disagree with Burger on this one. I performe twisted sisters all the time. Today I was performing for about 20 people and got an insanely good reaction. People were freaking out. I think Mr. Bannon created an excellent trick, and I know I will always use it.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ben, I have also used twisted sisters for years, and always get good reactions. But the same aplies to Bwave. I think alot of it depends on how you put the effect over. You have to be the one to draw amazement out of your spectators.

I like Bwave in situations where I have only a little time to work, or perhaps only one spectator to perform for. When I went to Abbotts flea market last spring, I purchased a version of B wave made up in giant cards. They are real thick and sturdy, and the colors are vibrant.. I think it might be a collectors piece, but don't really know for sure.

I think part of the secrret to putting over thses effects is to communicate with your eyes to the spectators the wonder you want them to feel.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Twisted sisters and b'wave..they use "similar" gaffs..but not the 'same' gaffs???
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Re;
"B'Wave, whether on stage or close-up, is a fantastically simple yet mind blowing effect. TS takes it one step but falls over the egde doing so. Some things don't need improvement. "

This is missing the point. "Twisted Sister" is not intended to be an improvement. It is a completely different effect. One is a transposition of thought of cards, one isn't. As such, I see no point in comparing the effects.

Paul.
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
I know how twisted sister works, but b'wave...u mean the spectator can name ANY of the 4 Queens, regardless of black or red.. and it'll be face up whereas the other 3 cards will be face down???
leonard
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
148 Posts

Profile of leonard
Eryanic,
You are one-half (1/2) correct.
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Can you guys explain in detail how b'wave works..like whether you can name any of the 4 queens, and it's not limited to colour (like in Twisted Sisters)
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
If you know how TS works you already know how B'wave works.

And Paul, you're right, the EFFECT (as written in the "patter" that comes with them) is different. So it is hard to compare them in terms of that. However, the workings are the same. And they can be presented in much the same way if one cares to.

No, Bannon did not mean for this to be an improvement on B'wave. But it was inspired by it.

I just think that B'wave by itself is a wonderful effect. Why clutter it up with the extras that you don't need.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
kermitthefrog
View Profile
Regular user
France
128 Posts

Profile of kermitthefrog
Some people find it real hard to accept that sometimes the differences between similar tricks are matters of taste rather than quality.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Quote:
On 2004-01-22 19:32, kermitthefrog wrote:

Some people find it real hard to accept that sometimes the differences between similar tricks are matters of taste rather than quality.
How true.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
First time I saw BWAVE it totally nailed me. It is one of the CLEANEST, direct packet tricks I have ever seen.
Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2004-01-22 12:42, lastnitesfun wrote:
I just think that B'wave by itself is a wonderful effect. Why clutter it up with the extras that you don't need.
Mark

Hmmm… I disagree. Twisted Sisters is a killer! I perform it 5 nights a week and IMHO it is crucial that you use the correct patter or else you will confuse them.

Also I have found it best to take Twisted Sisters VERY SLOW as there is so much going on. After each climax I let it sink in for a few seconds as to exactly what just transpired.

When you turn over the last six cards in the spectators mind it seems completely impossible that you managed to pick out the only two queens out of eight “free will” possible choices.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
I use B'Wave as the last phase of Racherbaumer's Fried Thrice. This approach normalizes the choice of color and card the spectator must make in the final phase. During the first two phases, you can ask the spectator if (s)he would like to change his/her mind with each choice. It is, in fact, the card they choose that has a different colored back. By the time the third phase is over, when they reconstruct the trick (and I've heard them do it!), they swear the same protocol applied in the third phase. The first two phases involve "counting" displays that makes the B'Wave display even more clean and stunning. It also allows you to involve three spectators instead of just one. I use Jacks and Queens for the first two phases and Kings for the B'Wave phase. Had the necessary card made for me by Cards by Martin.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » B'wave vs Twisted Sisters (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL