We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Parapsychology : the Australian Sheep-Goat Scale (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
741 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
A classic test to see how much of a believer/skeptic you are :

https://www.wlv.ac.uk/PDF/sas_ASGS.pdf

I love it : it's raw meat for psychological/parapsychological presentation Smile

This could be used to select a volonter, survey a sitter before a reading, or subtly suspend disbelief as you make your subject consider every enconter he add with ESP in his life (I believe one could enginer a Scale for this precise purpose...)...

What would you do with it ?

an other version here :

http://aiprinc.org/Thalbournes_ASGS.pdf

and

http://aiprinc.org/Thalbournes_Transliminality_Scale.pdf

see here for more informations :

http://aiprinc.org/resources.asp
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
921 Posts

Profile of Aus
Very handy info Nestor D, thanks for sharing it.

Magically

Aus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The whole point of Schmeidler's original sheep/goat experiment, though, was the finding that people who were "goats" had markedly lower scores on standard ESP tests than those identified as "sheep." This has been interpreted as an example of "negative psi."
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
That's great Nestor D. Thank you for passing that on.

Best,
Alex
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
841 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Very interesting posts and thanks for sharing, Nestor D.
Many decades ago (early 70's) I was collaborating on a special form of psychological scale to see if belief in a all sorts of and a variety of paranormal ideas, phenomena, experiences, etc was significantly correlated with "hypnotic suggestibility". I was working with Dr T. X. Barber, PhD at the time as he had had published by then over well over 100 experimental-type hypnosis research articles in peer-reviewed professional journals. I called the research "scale" the "Psiosophy Scale" and we were to use the "Barber Suggestibility Scale" after administering both to a group of nursing students (captive and regular research "victims") at our hospifal at the time.
Alas we never completed the statistical and data refinements of the Psiosophy", although the initial results did show some trending toward a significant correlation. Therefore, Dr Barber and I never completed that particular project.
Obviously, in that general area of study Scmeidler went on to complete some very interesting and significant work and with a differenf form of measurement and data collection scales.
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
"A relationship between narcissistic personality and paranormal belief was discovered in a study involving the Australian Sheep-Goat Scale". Smile

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Sheep-Goat_Scale
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
741 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
That's interesing DocBenWiz, I have read that :

Quote:
Thalbourne and Houran (2000) found that participants scoring high on transliminality also
tended to:
(i) believe in more psi related and unusual events;
(ii) to report more paranormal and unusual experiences;
(iii) to have a greater sense of being high and that the mind is tremendously powerful;
(iv) to be more given to introspection and daydreaming;
(v) to experience altered consciousness.
There was no significant correlation with age or tolerance of ambiguity

The last scale I shared is a "transliminality scale", the fourth point could suggest hypnotic suggestibility but I am not competent when it comes to hypnosis.

It's indeed not just a "test", that scale have been used ever since to demonstratre other thing than the sheep/goat effect ("if you're a skeptic you will miss : you need to believe") : they found that peoples with strong egos tend to score higher on the scale (they believe easier, that's a good thing to know...).

edit : C.J. just double-crossed me Smile
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1340 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Absolutely fascinating! Thank you for sharing this, Nestor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Parapsychology : the Australian Sheep-Goat Scale (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL