The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help with Dream Bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2214 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
My show Saturday Aug 23 went pretty good with the exception of my dream bag routine. The problem is the boxes would not open smoothly. I'm not sure if it was the extreme heat and humidity.

I have tried to use these in the past and had the same problem.

Is there a fix that will guarantee they will open correctly each time. I love the routine I have for it and want to continue to use it without fear of it failing.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Which brand are you using? Some work much better than others, there's quite a few on the market
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The "fix" is to understand the problem BEFORE the next performance. Pick up each box individually and watch it open. Is it all of the boxes behaving the same, or just one or two that fail to open properly? You may be able to fix those bad boys with scissors and tape by observing what it is that is slowing them down.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
As you grab the strap with your right hand, play with it a little by moving it slightly. With your left hand holding the bag feel for the movement on the bottom of the box, grabbing it with pressure. As you have the bottom of the box in your left hand, now you can pull the strap out with the right hand. It will be open from the pressure you used grabbing the bottom. You might want to put some patter in the effect while pulling them out to give you a few more seconds on grabbing the bottom.

Other way is to hold the bottom of the bag with your left hand. Reach in with your right hand. With your right fore finger put a space between the top and bottom of the box. Grab the bottom of the box through the bag with your left hand. Now grab the strap with your right hand, keeping the bottom of the in your left hand with pressure until you know the box in open, next letting it go.

Don't just reach in quickly pulling the boxes straight out relying on the boxes to be open.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Follow the above advice, try to fix the problem with your handling or the prop. If you cannot find the problem, I would replace them. When you are performing you need reliable props, its worth the cost.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1822 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Good advice, Dynamike. That's the way I always do it. Also, the slower you pull them up (covered by patter), the more time the boxes have to open up fully. Moving the ribbon gently to and fro also helps with the "opening."

If you still encounter problems, it may be the brand of Dream Bags you're using.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
Also check the bag too.Make sure the inside seam's are not restricting the boxe's from opening properly.
Todd
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2214 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Thanks guys.. lot of great information here..I do appreciate it. Anyone else like to chime in please feel free to do so.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help with Dream Bag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL