The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Crazy Years by Mr. Tango (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
458 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
See this link, this is a new routine with two special coins

http://youtu.be/Gg_DwgyBQGA
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8511 Posts

Profile of funsway
Very powerful in the spectator's hands. Any fear they will notice the possible off-alignment on the back side? Probably the shock of seeing the date change will mask it.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6896 Posts

Profile of bowers
I like this.
Todd
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1943 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, funsway wrote:
Very powerful in the spectator's hands. Any fear they will notice the possible off-alignment on the back side? Probably the shock of seeing the date change will mask it.

I'd be more concerned about the handling when they're signing the coins -- a bit of pressure in the wrong spot and... ?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Long routine for what it has. Maybe that's just because it's a demo, but it seemed long anyway.

Also, if those are TUCs I don’t think I would want my spectators handling them so much. Too easy for an unwanted surprise.

Jim
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8511 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have musing on this effect during the night (sigh) -- and awake to find J-mac voicing similar concerns ...

yet, I trust Marcello, his instincts, and know that he will have performed this with many people before releasing it. I applaud Marcello for coming up with a completely novel result of a Translocation.

So, perhaps the answer is that we have now shifted from "coins are great because everyone is familiar with them," to
"no one has ever handled a half dollar and don't know what to expect."

Also, if this is only performed with spectators/volunteers who have demonstrated a respectful appreciation of the magic that is about to occur, then magic will occur despite any seeming "problems."

As these volunteers will serve as witness for the greater audience, their shocked reaction tot he impossible transfer of a date will make this magic for the other observers regardless of what they personally suspect -- and they will never tell because they are part of the astonishment. My experience suggests that even if the TUC separates and joins they will either "forget it" or consider it just part of the "coin reformation" required for the effect.

the "unwanted surprise" is exactly what makes the effect work -- the excitement and astonishment of the performer ;-)

I personally will never perform this -- not because of the problems noted, but from a feeling that if I can achieve this level of volunteer affinity/trust there are more powerful effects I can be doing. I have the same feeling about many popular magci effects. Why go to the effort to produce a minor miracle when something greater is afoot? However, if I were trying to make a living from performing this might be just the thing.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
458 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
I think the effect is original, because the spectator always will be expecting that the coins travel between the spectators hands, but never they will expect to see that the year changed. You can also perform this effect as a mentalism effect where you convince to the spectator that he saw the year that you wanted and not the real year in the coin.
foretold
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of foretold
I would imagine this would be very convincing as a mental effect. Before I jump to buy I noticed these are just "preorder" at this point, is there a projected date when these will ship? Also, based on the years in the demo would I be correct that both will be eagle back quarters in the set?
foretold
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of foretold
Looks like orders have begun to ship according to a few online dealers. Eager to hear the comments that will hopefully begin to show up here soon.
Aljaz Son
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Aljaz Son
I thought this looked great!
I don't know what the TUC coins look like, but I did not expect to see the dates change on the signed coins.

Does the spectator see the date on the coin, after they sign it?

Great job on the effect Mr. Tango!

Regards
Aljaz
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1706 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Is this available in any other currency than US Quarters?
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Can you use the coins that come with this set for the other regular TUC routines like matrix, etc?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3044 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Nobody ever answered magicinsight's question, thought I would bump ity back up to the top in hopes of hearing from someone who has it, are the coins supplied the same as the coin you get when purchasing a quarter TUC?
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
I just purchased this due to a sale and whatnot and like owning it. I do have two problems though. This may help you figure-out if it's worth the money. On the demo/teaching of the effect "Crazy Years", it's apparent both spectators are "fans" (minor complaint). Two, as funsway mentions about, it seems hammed-out a bit too long in demo (minor). Three, You're going to have the spec sign a coin of what kind of looks like the bad side of a *helled coin. *No mitigation offered by Mr Tango here (oversight). Four, Mr T offers no "up close and person" time on operating the gimmick for the first timer (oversight), as we all like to be showed proper the first time.

Why this gimmick is better than a *helled coin: you can flip and bandy about the coin, then immediately produce an extra coin! Two: no nesting sounds. Three: it's more hand-out able in it's nested state

Bad news: A regular *hell will not fit over the device. 2) You're metal coin (not supplied) will not nest inside the *hell due to your coin is too large. *These two are unfortunate design flaws. If they could be accommodated, and they could, it would DOUBLE the possible uses of this half-thought-out gimmick. 3) when gimmick deployed, neither piece holds to lenghty scrutiny, as opposed to a *helled coin. One piece is.

Wouldn't you guys agree?
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
*** edit ***

I misspoke. A standard expanded *hell WILL fit over TUC.
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
So follow me here if you would. I've never owned OxF or 3CM or Triple Threat as I'm not a "gaff" guy, but I'm semi-familiar. I do have Wong's Triple.

So...a TUC beats a fli**er. I don't see how it doesn't. I was feeling at a loss for not getting Bob's new fli**er, but I think I just saved the money.

My Wong has it's place, but my TUC + ex *hell may well be ALL I need. Am I missing out?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Are these not just two TUCs that can swap leafs?
So of course a normal coin won't fit in them, but an expanded shell will (as you've corrected).

Every gaff has its place and supporters. A fl****r lets you casually toss two coins into the air and have them come down as a single coin. That's a bit harder with a TUC.

The 3CM/Triple Threat also have benefits - they're all m*****ic rather than your normal ex s***l, and a sh***ed one might not be tuned as precisely. There's a lot to be said for things that are custom built, and I hear wonderful things about Lassen and Schoolcraft quality, though I've never owned any of their stuff.

But you're right that they are a lot more similar. It all depends what effects you want to use them for, and if you think it would make the difference to you.
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
So yeah, for you hobbyist out there that use quarters and halfs (on occasion), grab yourself a TUC and expanded *hell for $80 (full price) and you just saved twice the money for an over-priced inferior product! Boom. Oxf/3CM/Triception Schoolcraft (even) all start at $160+.

Your only question on the *hell should be ma*netic or not.?

You hobbyist don't need suspicious old coins! Now I just saved you big $$$

Hurry. Get your TUC before demand goes nuts.

Yeah. I think the word's out,"fli**ers" are dead.

And finally when you pass through Denver, you can now stop and buy Donny a beer Smile

~D
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
Lemme levy this, you tonsofquestions sir,

Yes. And...

The final blow to fli**ers: Have the deployed TUC at your pincers in horizontal display. Toss that puppy to your other hand with the slightest "flick". Those two coins are now ONE! Or rather, if you're savvy...toss that puppy to your specs hand (fli**er do this?)! Yes I said it. Fli**er = dead!!

I'm like Sankey, Townsend and Angle all in one (I don't mean annoying here). Yeah. I invented that application. Send money. Okay, well, Magic community OWES me one.

And don't think about popping my "Gacia-esk" ego bubble, you meanies!

~D
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Donny - most gaffs can be used in multiple styles and positions. A fl****r can be used flat on the table. A TUC cannot. Well, it can, but it would raise much more suspicion.

Could you easily do a performance like this one with the TUC? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AvgCPyk1ok
I think it would be rather tricky.

I'll also point out that it takes only two coins to make a fl****r, but 3 to make a TUC. For expensive coins, that adds a lot of cost.

And finally, observe that Roy Kueppers sells an OxF for $114, which is about the same price for the TUC+Shell (75+38). Your $80 is even a bit low - (60+28) for quarters.

While I love your enthusiasm, (and the TUC), I still don't think it make all other gaffs obsolete. But that's why we're allowed to decide for ourselves what we want to use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Crazy Years by Mr. Tango (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL