The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tesla Motors sales restrictions (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
I did not realize this was was going on, until I was in Austin this weekend. and it was also just mentioned on the GW thread.

WTF?

What do the free marketeers here think about this?

Just more Rick Perry crony capitalism.

Sad.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Shouldn't there have been a link so we can see what you're writing about?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
My son has one and Telsa. Will have to go to the surpreme court to win this battle. Eventually they will win. Car dealers are afraid they will lose their job when electric cars come of age.
Dennis Michael
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/17/tesla-motors-us-sales/

[L]aws -- meant to protect car dealers -- are interfering with Tesla's ability to sell cars directly to consumers. Here's the logic of the argument against Tesla: If Tesla can sell cars directly to consumers, what stops the rest of the car industry from doing that? That is the heart of this, so let's be totally clear:

The entire argument against Tesla selling cars directly to consumers is that car dealers might have to face competition from the companies they currently represent.

That's it. It's not really about Tesla, or electric cars. It's about money. It's an argument against competition that may or may not even manifest in reality.

On the flipside, Tesla could go the franchise route and give in. But should it have to? Shouldn't Tesla be able to sell its cars directly to consumers? This side of the argument is also about money, no doubt, but there's a control aspect as well. If Tesla gives in to the franchise model, it also gives in to all the restrictions that come with it. And 50 years of political lobbying have added quite a few restrictions, largely in favor of the franchisee.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20393 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I complained about it in another thread. Hypocritical.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

I complained about it in another thread. Hypocritical.

How is it hypocritical if the bans are about car dealers protecting their franchises by limiting competition, and the bans have nothing directly to do with electric cars? See above.

Not attacking, just seeking clarification.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20393 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It was the "let the market sort it out" crowd who seem to be doing it. I linked an article in the global warming thread. I am on my phone now so I am not able to re do that.

As I said in that thread I am a big fee market guy. Also a huge car guy. Tesla may very well lead the same aysm to help he future with this technology. It is the future. It can eventually lead us off burning gasoline in cars. I never thought I would say that about an electric car.

I love new tech. I love free markets. Usually they go hand in hand.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20393 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx_mobile.html

Here is ask example Rockwall posted.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Balducci--

These arn't existing laws, these laws are getting passed to specifically outlaw Tesla's business model.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
Balducci--

These arn't existing laws, these laws are getting passed to specifically outlaw Tesla's business model.

I never said otherwise. And the article I linked to specifically mentioned new laws.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
While I agree that the laws are a bad idea, the attempt to bash Texas, (and Rick Perry), is a little one sided seeing as how there are multiple states (like NJ for instance) with varying degrees of bans against sales of Tesla cars as was pointed out in a previous thread.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, balducci wrote:
Http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/17/tesla-motors-us-sales/

[L]aws -- meant to protect car dealers -- are interfering with Tesla's ability to sell cars directly to consumers. Here's the logic of the argument against Tesla: If Tesla can sell cars directly to consumers, what stops the rest of the car industry from doing that? That is the heart of this, so let's be totally clear:

The entire argument against Tesla selling cars directly to consumers is that car dealers might have to face competition from the companies they currently represent.

That's it. It's not really about Tesla, or electric cars. It's about money. It's an argument against competition that may or may not even manifest in reality.

On the flipside, Tesla could go the franchise route and give in. But should it have to? Shouldn't Tesla be able to sell its cars directly to consumers? This side of the argument is also about money, no doubt, but there's a control aspect as well. If Tesla gives in to the franchise model, it also gives in to all the restrictions that come with it. And 50 years of political lobbying have added quite a few restrictions, largely in favor of the franchisee.



Absolutely right!
Dennis Michael
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, rockwall wrote:
While I agree that the laws are a bad idea, the attempt to bash Texas, (and Rick Perry), is a little one sided seeing as how there are multiple states (like NJ for instance) with varying degrees of bans against sales of Tesla cars as was pointed out in a previous thread.


There are other states?

I thought it was quite relevant to me , you see here in Texas we hear constantly about how business friendly Father Perry is. You know, a bootstrap kinda guy who just wants the little guy to succeed, unfettered in his god given right to capitalist reward.

But don't let that distract you from a knee jerk "defend your team" reaction.

Is hypocricy more acceptable if a bigger group engages in it?

I wasn't posting about the other states. I was posting about what I know about. I konw that seems odd to you.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
Tesla sells vehicles in violation of the state’s rules limiting the annual volume of cars it can sell directly to the public, the Georgia Automobile Dealers Association said in a petition filed with the Georgia Department of Revenue.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-29......ban.html


http://g.foolcdn.com/editorial/images/12......arge.png
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, rockwall wrote:
While I agree that the laws are a bad idea, the attempt to bash Texas, (and Rick Perry), is a little one sided seeing as how there are multiple states (like NJ for instance) with varying degrees of bans against sales of Tesla cars as was pointed out in a previous thread.


There are other states?

I thought it was quite relevant to me , you see here in Texas we hear constantly about how business friendly Father Perry is. You know, a bootstrap kinda guy who just wants the little guy to succeed, unfettered in his god given right to capitalist reward.

But don't let that distract you from a knee jerk "defend your team" reaction.

Is hypocricy more acceptable if a bigger group engages in it?

I wasn't posting about the other states. I was posting about what I know about. I konw that seems odd to you.


Hmm, I guess you missed the part were I said, "I agree that the laws are a bad idea". Try reading a post before commenting on it and it might help.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Whoosh!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tesla Motors sales restrictions (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL