The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy Labor Day... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
To all, but especially Landmark.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It's a bit strange, I think, to see anti-labor folks celebrating Labor Day. For those who forgot what the day commemorates:

Quote:
Labor Day in the United States is a holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September. It is a celebration of the American labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of their country.

Labor Day was promoted by the Central Labor Union and the Knights of Labor, who organized the first parade in New York City. After the Haymarket Massacre, which occurred in Chicago on May 4, 1886, U.S. President Grover Cleveland feared that commemorating Labor Day on May 1 could become an opportunity to commemorate the affair. Thus, in 1887, it was established as an official holiday in September to support the Labor Day that the Knights favored.[1]

The equivalent holiday in Canada, Labour Day, is also celebrated on the first Monday of September. In many other countries (more than 80 worldwide), "Labour Day" is synonymous with, or linked with, International Workers' Day, which occurs on May 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Next thing you know, atheists will celebrate Christmas, or non-pagans Halloween.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
No disrespect meant here, but let's face it, I'd wager that most holidays don't mean much of anything anymore to most folks. To wit:

Martin Luther King Day, replaced Lincoln's birthday and most folks I know don't celebebrate anything, just another day off.

President's Day. Do we really think most of the folks really give a *** anymore, except for a day off? Some of us remember when it used be two holidays in February (per above), one for Lincoln and one for Washington. those two are worth celebrating, but somehow Lincoln got lost in the shuffle. BTW, President's day is a misnomer, the Federal holiday is still called Washington's birthday despite that it never falls on his real birthday, February 22nd.

Most folks think of Thanksgiving of Turkey and a four day weekend with their cranky relatives who many wish some would just stay home.

Christmas? Yikes, let's not even go there, what with all the folks who would like to do away with this Christian holiday.

New Year's. Probably the only one without a purpose except to party.

Easter, another Christian killer, though not celebrated as a Federal Holiday.

Memorial Day, a good reason for BBQ for most; I'd bet if the American youth were polled, they wouldn't be able to tell us why Memorial Day is important. And in my experience, few folks can tell us what the difference is between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.

Fourth of July, same as above. Except for Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.

Labor Day, as in my opening, the end of summer, parties, beaches and BBQs

Then there's Columbus Day, which used to be a holiday, but is no more. I remember in grade school, we would spend a lot of time talking about Columbus Day and America. It was a history lesson. But somewhere along the way we lost that one too.

Oh well, I'm retired so I don't need any reasons except the real ones to celebrate.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I posted that in response to your "especially to landmark," who certainly does understand the meaning of the holiday.

Of course Christmas and Halloween commemorate religious and pagan traditions. Labor Day commemorates the real life achievements of the American labor movement.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
And Memorial Day, Veteran's Day and July Fourth don't celebrate America's freedoms in "real life" and how they were won? How about lives lost?

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Of course they do! That's exactly my point- we all KNOW what those holidays stand for. But many seem to have forgotten the meaning of Labor Day.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
As in all the examples I cited above.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

True, but I'm sure a lot more people understand the meaning of the 4th of July, Veterans Day and Memorial Day. But I wonder if proponents of anti-labor legislation, who oppose minimum wage and equal pay laws, contemplate the meaning of the day while they enjoy their barbeques.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4928 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for the wishes Lobo.

And for those who want to know a little more about the history of labor struggles in the US, a good place to start is with mastermindreader's comment about why the US celebrates Labor Day in September.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

That's right. And the whole story started here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_affair
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
True, but I'm sure a lot more people understand the meaning of the 4th of July, Veterans Day and Memorial Day. But I wonder if proponents of anti-labor legislation, who oppose minimum wage and equal pay laws, contemplate the meaning of the day while they enjoy their barbeques.

And I'm just as sure that most of the young folks of today don't have a clue about the 4th of July, Memorial Day and Veterans Day, not to mention George Washington and Abe Lincoln, among many others of our great nation.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
Happy labor day.

I don't have a clue why the workers like government at all, let alone big government. The government, ain't they the people who got themselves an army to go out and conquer the little people around them and tax all their labor?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20390 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I had no idea what labor day was and am embarrassed as to what my guess might have been.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
I had no idea what labor day was and am embarrassed as to what my guess might have been.

Here at NVMS, the show isn't merely entertaining; it's educational, too!

Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
I thought it was to celebrate the day the American workforce lost the U.
;)
Have a good holiday!
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20390 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

Here at NVMS, the show isn't merely entertaining; it's educational, too!

It sure is. The most entertaining part was me sitting here like a moron and thinking "would Lobo and Bob punk me like that? Is this true?"
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Are there really folks on here who are anti-labor??
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Mayor Eric Garcetti recently announced a plan to raise minimum wage in Los Angeles by over 50%. We might have to start a new local holiday...nominees are "Inflation Day" and "Unemployment Day."

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Are there really folks on here who are anti-labor??

There are plenty here who are against unions. (And the word "labor" in the context of this holiday, means unions. It was union strikes for the eight hour work day that marked the beginning of the labor movement and resulted in the first Labor Day.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy Labor Day... (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL