The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy Labor Day... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Mayor Eric Garcetti recently announced a plan to raise minimum wage in Los Angeles by over 50%. We might have to start a new local holiday...nominees are "Inflation Day" and "Unemployment Day."

I doubt it. When the minimum wage was raised here in Washington, there was no effect whatsoever on inflation or unemployment, nor has that been shown to be the case in any other jurisdiction that I'm aware of.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Are there really folks on here who are anti-labor??

As long as it's okay to outsource labor across national boundaries ...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Mayor Eric Garcetti recently announced a plan to raise minimum wage in Los Angeles by over 50%. We might have to start a new local holiday...nominees are "Inflation Day" and "Unemployment Day."

I doubt it. When the minimum wage was raised here in Washington, there was no effect whatsoever on inflation or unemployment, nor has that been shown to be the case in any other jurisdiction that I'm aware of.

When was that?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

January 1st of this year. $9.32.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Thanks for the Labor Day wishes Lobo. Wife and I went to Vigalentes, a comic book shop that a member in my family owns here in my local area and played Arkham Horror. I had read the rules prior to playing and once we got the hang of the rules while playing, it was actually great fun. Good game and looking forward to playing another game when wife and I get a chance. Met another couple over there as well that was probably a little older than us and they have the game and had touble with the rules of the game. So, they watched my wife and I play for a while to get a better idea of how the game is played and now they are wanting to get a game going with us as well.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
January 1st of this year. $9.32.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 1.5% increase in the minimum wage hasn't shown measurable difference in the employment rate is eight months. I'm not sure that analogize swell to a 50% increase in relatively short order.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
Quote:

There are plenty here who are against unions. (And the word "labor" in the context of this holiday, means unions. It was union strikes for the eight hour work day that marked the beginning of the labor movement and resulted in the first Labor Day.)

Oh, well then. If you had meant anti-union, you should have said so. Yep, there are indeed a few people against those. In fact, I think that by definition to be pro union would have to be considered 'extremist'.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
To preempt Balducci, it's actually only a 47.2222% increase that Garcetti is pushing.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Read history. Today is a celebration of what organized labor has done for workers, working conditions and this country. (But I have a feeling you knew that.)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
47.222% over three years, followed by cost of living increases (which would send it over 50% shortly thereafter). By way of comparison, Washington's minimum wage hasn't increased by 47.2% this millennium.

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1167 Posts

Profile of imgic
In a bit of irony I'm actually doing done work today for a client who's biggest issue is trouble with labor unions...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
Read history. Today is a celebration of what organized labor has done for workers, working conditions and this country. (But I have a feeling you knew that.)

Yeah, but you know how people are. They only want to know, "what have you done for me lately?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:

So where does one look for that union label?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4977 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There are plenty here who are against unions. (And the word "labor" in the context of this holiday, means unions. It was union strikes for the eight hour work day that marked the beginning of the labor movement and resulted in the first Labor Day.)

Oh, well then. If you had meant anti-union, you should have said so. Yep, there are indeed a few people against those. In fact, I think that by definition to be pro union would have to be considered 'extremist'.

It's Labor Day, rock, not April Fool.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's Labor Day, rock, not April Fool.

Bazinga!

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Yes, being pro-union was extreme in the days of the robber barons and the capitalist sweat shop owners who brought us such tragedies as the Triangle Shirt Waist fire in 1911. From that travesty emerged the Ladies Garment Workers Union.

Quote:
The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in Manhattan, New York City on March 25, 1911 was the deadliest industrial disaster in the history of the city, and one of the deadliest in U.S. history. The fire caused the deaths of 146 garment workers – 123 women and 23 men [1] – who died from the fire, smoke inhalation, or falling or jumping to their deaths...

Because the owners had locked the doors to the stairwells and exits, a common practice used to prevent workers from taking unauthorized breaks and pilferage,[6] many of the workers who could not escape the burning building jumped from the eighth, ninth, and tenth floors to the streets below. The fire led to legislation requiring improved factory safety standards and helped spur the growth of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union, which fought for better working conditions for sweatshop workers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Sh......ory_fire

Of course there are still those who yearn for those days of unregulated capitalism run amok. And in some states they're making a comeback.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I learned from Bob a while back that if a relatively small percentage of the population supports something, it's OK to call it extremist. by definition.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
You know what? I'm going to correct myself. Apparently, unions have a much higher favor-ability within the US than I realized.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201......support/

"In a Pew Research Center survey conducted in June 2013, about half (51%) of Americans said they had favorable opinions of labor unions, versus 42% who said they had unfavorable opinions about them."

I made the (wrong) assumption that since so few people belong to unions, that less people supported them than do. I suppose, the high percentage is in large part due to those on the left who support unions for everyone else accept themselves.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I am deeply grateful to live in a country where labour has the right to organize. I am particularly pleased that the existence of the right has created an economy where the majority of labour does not need to organize.

Happy Labour Day, my friends.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4977 Posts

Profile of landmark
In the US, our powerful labor movement was able to get rid of the extra U.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy Labor Day... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL