The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Active Marketing vs. Passive Marketing (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Back in the 1990s, I remember reading the "Mark: My Words" column in the M-U-M. The business advice column was written by the person we know on The Magic Café as Starrpower.

Anyhow, I seem to recall that one column was about the idea of Active Marketing vs. Passive Marketing.

If I recall, he defined Active Marketing as something you do, when there are specific people you are targeting your business efforts towards. For example, making phone calls, or visits, or doing mailings (especially when you have a specific name and not a generic title). You are actively trying to approach people one by one.

If I recall, he defined Passive Marketing as something you do, which is more general. Giveaways at shows, phone book advertising, newspaper ads, parent magazine ads, etc. More of a shotgun approach, where you don't know who might see or respond to your ad, because it's just passively waiting for someone to respond to it.

Active Marketing seemed to have a better impact than Passive Marketing, but both could be a part of a business's marketing picture. To a degree, you are more in control when it comes to Active Marketing.

I was also wondering how the idea of Active Marketing vs. Passive Marketing might be applied to today's marketing, which includes websites, social media, adwords, etc. Are those all Passive? I guess that targeted emails is considered Active Marketing.

I'm hoping that Starrpower and others will chime in with their thoughts. For example, I'm sure that Starrpower can add more clarity to the definitions.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, Active & Passive Marketing still exists today and are alive and well. I have been teaching these concepts for years although I was unaware of the article you referenced.

As I've said here before I think many begin marketing before they are truly ready and prepared. One of the things they should know and understand before the begin marketing is they types and styles of marketing and the concept of Active and Passive Marketing.

Much marketing is passive, I use Empire Carpeting here in the states as a good example. 588-2300, everyone knows this phone number, every one knows Lynn Hauldren (the Empire Carpet guys and a friend of mine for years, who recently passed away). Their passive marketing campaign is these commercials that air, seemingly endlessly, but to engrain their name and phone number into our consciousness (or subconsciousness), so WHEN we do ever need carpeting, they will be the first that come to mind. This is how most newspaper, magazine and print works.

Active has always been more aggressive and lucrative, but usually costs more, generally speaking. Phone rooms, telemarketers, email campaigns, and more targeted methods with calls to action are quite effective.

I think much of the tech as blurred the lines or overshadowed these longstanding and still effective conventional approaches. Yet, these are still unfamiliar to many entertainers.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Yes, I'm sure that the ideas and terms, Active Marketing and Passive Marketing, were around long before Mark shared his thoughts in that column. It was one of the first times I was exposed to the idea, and so I remembered it.

- Donald
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Donald,

You have to give Mark (Starrpower) credit, as he was one of the earlier pioneers of marketing magic. Guys like Donn Davison and Brian Flora preceded him, but I do believe Mark's stuff may have been pre-Dave Dee.

As for Active and Passive Marketing, in recent years I know Kyle has been really big on this. Maybe he'll chime in here as well.

Gerry
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I've mentioned Active Marketing vs. Passive Marketing in posts here on the Café a few times over the past 10 or 11 years, so it's possible that Kyle might have picked up the concept from the Café and run with it. Or he might have learned about it elsewhere.

When I think about earlier marketing magic pioneers that I learned from in the 1980s and 1990s (as I was starting out in magic), I also think of David Ginn and Samuel Patrick Smith. I learned quite a bit about phone calls, mailings, etc. from reading their books or listening to their cassette tapes. David Ginn published "Promoting Me and You" (Vol. 1 and Vol. 2), and Sammy Smith published the "Sell Your Act with ..." series of books, as well as his "Make it Happen" and "Booking Yourself" audio sets.

- Donald
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I feel that any marketing is active marketing.

Whether it's setting up a PPC campaign or giving out Funny Money at a show there is still some aspect that is active in it.

Sure, it can become automatic but it still needs to be on your radar and looked after.

Josh
Josh
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Bad answer. There is a huge difference. All marketing is not Active. Why, just because you are doing something rather than nothing? That's not "Active".

This is an example of opinion rather than fact, as I've referred to in another post.

Also PPC is not active marketing, sorry.

This is also why Active marketing will never go out of style or be replaced by trends or technology. As an up and coming "guru" you should be better versed on this....for your clients if nothing else.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I'm not sure I'd assume anything is "automatic". For the record, we're going back almost 17 years! (Donald, I am always amazed at how you can pull this stuff up!) Here's the full text (I apologize for the formatting; it's in MUM columnar format. And bear in mind this was 17 years ago, so some things have changed):

Early in my magic career I was invited to perform an
after dinner program at a company banquet. The job came
to me through an acquaintance in magic who worked for
the company (a hospital) who hired me. After the show, I
was approached by the event's coordinator who asked,
"If you hadn't been recommended to us, how would I have
found out about you?"

Naturally, word-of-mouth advertising is desirable, and
shouldn't be overlooked. The fact that I was doing the
aforementioned show is a tribute to its effectiveness. I get
many of my bookings through personal recommendations.
However, had it not been for our mutual contact I
would not have done that particular show. So his question
was a very good one, and one that I now try to ask myself
frequently. How can people find out about my services?

Let's put ourselves in the position of that event planner.
Assuming his employee didn't know me, how else
might he have known about my program?
Here's a short list in answer to that question (I'm sure
you'll think ofmore): He could have received unsolicited
promotional materials from me via mail, FAX,or e-mail:
he could have received a phone call from me; he could
have seen me at a public event; I might have stopped in to
see him, either with a prearranged appointment or unannounced
(cold call); he could have seen my advertisement
in a magazine, newspaper, or yellow pages; he could have
booked my through an agency; or he could
have seen a poster or flyer advertising one of my programs
and contacted me.

Those are just a few of the ways a prospect could become
aware of a performer. As you examine the list, you
may notice that it can be categorized into two groups,
which I call active marketing and passive marketing.
Active marketing refers to that type of marketing by
which one pursues the prospect, approaching him or her
in some way. This may be by mail, FAX,or any of the other
methods mentioned above. Passive marketing refers to those
methods where we do nothing but wait to be approached,
such as yellow page advertising or word-of-mouth.

I much prefer to actively participate in my marketing.
Passive marketing definitely has it's benefits and is not to
be overlooked. But whenever possible a good, active marketing
plan will keep you more involved with your client
base, and will keep you working more regularly.
Some types of marketing fall in between the categories,
an example being mass mailings. In that case,you mail
out a piece of literature, either to a list of prior clients, interested
prospects, cold prospects, or all of these. That's
the active part. Then you sit and wait for their call. That's
the passive part.

Of course, you could follow up your mailing with a
phone call. By doing so, you'd be increasing your chances
of being noticed and increase your bookings at the same
time. That would be the most desirable way to approach
marketing, but isn't always practical.

While working by phone, you are under the constraints
of both time and money (long distance charges). Calling
several thousand people, one by one, might not be an option
for you. But sending them something every few
months may be - and that's where you have to make some
decisions.

Some clients may only book one event a year. A typical
company may have one party during the holidays at
which they use entertainment. In that case I would send
only one mailing (in addition to my regular quarterly newsletter)
around September. Other groups, like schools, might
book in spring for the coming year, and that is when I
would contact them. Still others book throughout the year;
I must find ways to keep in constant contact with those
folks.

Decide how you will contact your client/prospect, and
when you will do so. I've discussed some of these ways in
past columns. As far as mailings, you might consider a
regular newsletter, postcards, announcements (such as
where you will be appearing), posters, and flyers. If you
send a quarterly newsletter, then another type of promo
during the alternate months, you can easily reach your
prospect base once a month, or at the very least once every
six weeks.

Out of sight, out of mind - truer words were never
spoken (at least in regards to entertainers!). So keep "in
sight", and you'll likely keep very, very busy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Word of mouth is not only the most effective form of advertising, it is the most affordable.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Mark, I actually remember reading your article in MUM. That's great stuff.

Donald, after I sent my post I also realized exactly what you said about Samuel Patrick Smith and David Ginn.

Hey, I now have 1,000 posts, too.

Gerry
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I find this discussion fascinating. Not so much the simple concept between Active and Passive marketing, but rather the complexities in determining the optimal blend. That requires a through understanding of all the available marketing avenues, when they are most effectively used and where one is in their current stage of business development. Those are things I struggle with, but I am having a greater understanding of why a one size fits all mentality is not optimal. I see posts here from time to time from long time veterans who never seem to augment their marketing strategy. They do the same rituals year after year believing they are optimal. My thinking is that as ones business progresses, there should be a different blend of active vs passive marketing. I did not used to understand Mindpro's objections to marketing offerings, but it is becoming more clear the more I follow these types of discussions.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I was hoping that Mark would re-post his column on the topic. Thanks for doing that, Starrpower.

- Donald
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2014, charliecheckers wrote:
That requires a through understanding of all the available marketing avenues, when they are most effectively used and where one is in their current stage of business development. Those are things I struggle with, but I am having a greater understanding of why a one size fits all mentality is not optimal.

Again, this is why I say most attempt their "marketing" before they are truly ready. Marketing has many layers. The optimal blend is likely going to be a combination of both. Passive methods can be great for generating general interest, having a presence, and having your services matched with potentially interested buyers, as a basic form of exposure and lead gen. But it's the Active that will create impressions and the the bookings.

I believe too many today think they can use tech to create a hands-off approach (meaning they'd rather rely on tech (Passive) than being hands-on aggressive (Active). How many times do you see ad copy tat says "automate" your bookings", or "generate bookings while you sleep", etc. type of perspectives.

People want to deal with live people, They don't want automation. Sure it may be good as a type of lead gen, but just as people prefer to deal with people, Active methods allow the same type of interaction and participation between parties.

We have a saying in our office that "Anytime You Want To Generate A Booking, Pick Up The Phone". This is still one of the most Active forms of generating a booking. There are many others as well. Targets are engaged and involved by Active techniques. They can be sold, ask questions, be courted, and get a personal connection. After all, marketing should be about relationships.

Yes, thanks Starrpower for reposting this. Great food for thought. I'm sure you are exposing the concept to many here as you did back when originally published.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Good article Mark. Thanks. Yes times have changed over the past 17 years, but the key to success is still “staying in sight.”

I’ve always thought of the two this way:

Passive marketing is when you sit behind your business sign.

Active marketing is when you stand beside your sign and wave. Smile

Certainly nothing wrong with having a sign, (you need many for that matter) but signs are easy to overlook.
One example is I have a large billboard sign advertising my preschool business. It is right down the street
from the business with an arrow saying turn here, yet I have people tell me all the time they never see it.
Every couple of years we swap it out with a new color and it gets noticed again.

Not always so easy being seen, you need all the arrows you can put up.

Tom
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Word of mouth is not only the most effective form of advertising, it is the most affordable.

And one over which we have the least amount of control. Tweeting, Facebook, and such adds to it in today's world. I wouldn't want to rely on it for a career.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
Bad answer. There is a huge difference. All marketing is not Active. Why, just because you are doing something rather than nothing? That's not "Active".

This is an example of opinion rather than fact, as I've referred to in another post.

This is also why Active marketing will never go out of style or be replaced by trends or technology. As an up and coming "guru" you should be better versed on this....for your clients if nothing else.

Another post by Mindpro where everyone is wrong and he is right. Unfortunately, we have different opinions. While your post makes no sense and is quite rude as you refer to me as a "guru." Mindpro - YOU are the only person who refers to me as a guru and I really don't appreciate it. What I have actually done is create a digital marketing agency managing quite a bit of money for my clients PPC, seo, and social media campaigns. I am by no means a guru and often tell you I am not, so I'm not sure why you keep saying this.

Quote:

Seems like our definition of "active" is very different, but a quick reference to Dictionary.com will show that "active" means engaged, busy, doing something, etc.

I don't think you understood (or cared to understand) my post. It was meant to give MY opinion and MY opinion is that any marketing that we do takes SOME form for active element. If we have giveaways that we give out after shows there is the time it takes to place the order for the giveaway, revise a graphic, update the graphic, pack the giveaways for the show, make an announcement that you're giving something away after the show, hand the giveaway out further solidifying yourself as a nice guy while you chat with the audience, etc.

Your inability to see past your own thoughts and feelings truly make this forum a place that is cold, unhealthy, rude, and not helpful in the least bit.

We all have opinions and for you to say I am wrong (in almost every post I write) is becoming old and tiresome. It's also rather off putting.

Quote:

If PPC is not active than what is it?

Google (only Google) makes over $50 BILLION a year from PPC. Are you really going to sit there and tell me that people are not actively working on PPC accounts??? Heck, I started a new business based on 3 podcast interviews about my PPC experience and now have a portfolio where I am managing over $9,000 in client spends.

When you say things like that (to someone like me) you not only make yourself look foolish, but you alienate a lot of good folks here who want to ask questions and want to have a discussion. What you do is spew out your "I'm right, you're wrong," speech and it turns people off.

It really is sad to see it go that way, but I can't sit here and keep reading that kind of thing from you.

Here's one thing that has always fascinated me about you Mindpro...

You have the fortitude to sit and tell me how I'm an "up and coming guru," how I am "wrong," and that my answer is a "bad answer," but yet YOU don't publicly show us who you are and what you're about.

What's super interesting is that you have even more fortitude to say "PPC is not active marketing," while in another thread you state you know nothing about PPC.

Here's the kicker - I've seen your website and if your website (which yes, we all know is not your "main" way of getting business, blah blah blah) is any indication of who you really are I would feel so bad and also a little happy.

The fact that I am as transparent as anyone can be with my businesses and the fact that I share so much information [besides the "you're wrong talk you spew] sets me in a position to tell you when you're out of line.

Josh London

P.S. I am sorry for taking away from this thread as I think it is a good discussion, but I'm sure many would agree with me here that Mindpro really takes a lot away from a thread when he starts in.
Josh
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I've been thinking about Active Marketing vs. Passive Marketing for many years, and trying my best to apply it to business. I try to do mailings, phone calls, emails, etc.

But like I said above, I also do some passive marketing... website, giveaways at shows, parent magazine ads, online directory ads, etc. At one time, the yellow pages and newspaper classifieds were also a part of my marketing picture.

Here's a possible scenario. When you give your business card to someone at a show, you are doing Passive Marketing. But if you get their business card and follow up, then you are doing Active Marketing. This is because you are in control... you have their name and contact info, and you can contact them with your offers and your timing. You aren't necessarily waiting for some unknown stranger to remember that they saw you, remember that they have your card, and remember to call you or email you out of the blue.

What if the ideal time to book a Christmas party is in August or September, but they decide to call in late November, when your schedule is already full and it's too late for them to rearrange their party date? At that point, you've lost the show because your approach was passive marketing, in waiting for some unknown stranger to call you, not knowing there was an ideal time to act. You can turn it into active marketing by getting their name, number, and address (snail mail or email), and approaching them at the right time for next year.

So, that might help with some who don't quite grasp the difference between the two ideas of passive vs. active.

- Donald

P.S. I think that Mindpro gave an excellent example above with the TV ads, as a form of passive marketing. Radio, print ads, website, directory listings, yellow pages, adwords, organic web search results, social media presence, etc. all fall into this category.

BTW, as I understand it, an opt-in email list is active marketing, but PPC is passive marketing. In one case, you know information about every single person that is exposed to your marketing and in the other case you don't.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Exactly! Thank you for further clarifying this. This is exactly also what I was trying to point out. As I stated, if Josh is trying to position himself as some type of an authority (see I didn't say guru!) he should have a decent understanding of this rather than taking offense to it. Like it or not, and this is what I had originally pointed out in the previous original Josh thread when he crossed over from being an entertainer to a "solopreneur" selling info products. When you release info on a certain topic you are perceived as an authority, specialist, expert or "guru".

I don't see why Josh is getting so defensive about something he clearly doesn't understand. What I have presented here is fact not opinion. From the beginning for whatever reason, Josh has come here and taken offense to my questions about him, his experience and his product. Again, I was just trying to get an understanding of the facts and separate it from opinion, while trying to understand his knowledge and legit experience on the topic he was selling.

The problem that we are all seeing is many of these social media/tech guys are coming off as marketing experts, when in reality they're not, they're social media/tech "specialists" specializing in one area of Passive marketing. As I stated before, all of this social/tech stuff is simply a tool in your overall marketing toolbox and efforts.

Donald, I do believe most of us use a combination of Passive and Active marketing. What many don't understand as you have pointed out is it is about who and where the control lies, and if you have the ability to lead, guide and control the process, or you are leaving it to other (people or tech) or chance to do so.

The most cost-effective way for many, whether they like to do it themselves or not, is the Active marketing path. It is frustrating to many performers as just as much as they'd rather be the creative, performers, rather than have to do the business side of the equation, this is even more present in Active marketing.

The simple truth is there are too many today that want to simply send out some emails and hope to get some business. Again this is Passive marketing. If you are really tying to generate business, bookings and profits, pick up the phone, stop by in person, utilize Active marketing. Passive marketing should be a supplement to your priority Active marketing efforts. The key to generating business is Active marketing combined with volume. I see too many that say, "well, I made 12 calls today." This will likely lead to no or minimal results at best. As member David Theil has mentioned he dedicates two hours to calls PER DAY, I believe 5 days per week. At least if he is doing 25 calls per day, he's totaling 250 a week, that's 1,000 per month. He sees results. Effective, inexpensive (cheaper today than it has ever been), and it directly results in profit. Sales is a volume game as well as an Active or control game. This too needs to be understood.

The trend today seems to use as many different Passive techniques combined together so you don't have to be Active or any more Active than necessary. I think this is the underlying basis when guys come here and say things like "you just don't get it" or "you're not up on how social media can work" or "you're not up on tech". This is their simple reasoning. I know enough about social media and all this tech stuff to know sure it can have a place in our marketing, bur it will NEVER replace Active marketing.

So when the original topic is/was how to get bookings, how to generate more bookings, how to increase bookings (and ultimate profits) the best answer is still taking control and utilizing Active Marketing. Seems the tech is just promoting Passive which is relying too much on others and not best in tune with their buying process and our interest in control.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, JoshLondonMagic wrote:

If PPC is not active than what is it?

Google (only Google) makes over $50 BILLION a year from PPC. Are you really going to sit there and tell me that people are not actively working on PPC accounts??? Heck, I started a new business based on 3 podcast interviews about my PPC experience and now have a portfolio where I am managing over $9,000 in client spends.

When you say things like that (to someone like me) you not only make yourself look foolish, but you alienate a lot of good folks here who want to ask questions and want to have a discussion.

I'm sorry Josh YOU'RE not getting it. I think it's the other way around.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
I'm jumping in late on this...

LOVE the thread..

A question just to make sure my mind is wrapped around it properly. (and that I have the terms converted properly in my mind)

Passive marketing = Inbound marketing where people are coming to me as they need a service
Active marketing = Outbound where I am going to them to push my services (Cold calling and so on)

If I have that basically right then I am all for passive, and it is much more complicated than it appears on the surface (=
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Active Marketing vs. Passive Marketing (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL