The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Amazon question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
A lot of times, when I look for a book, under "other buying options," there will be used copies available, sometimes for pennies. Just tonight, I ordered one for a penny. From stores, even, not just individuals. What's the deal? Who bothers to sell a book for a penny? Shipping was $4.00... Are they going to send it media mail for $2.50 and that's the plan? Make a couple of bucks on the shipping?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4956 Posts

Profile of landmark
They lose money on each sale, but they make it up in volume.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Landmark- How does that work? If you lose money on each sale, how do you get a profit on volume? Seems to me you'd have to be making money on some sales, at least.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4956 Posts

Profile of landmark
It was a joke Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
A lot of times, when I look for a book, under "other buying options," there will be used copies available, sometimes for pennies. Just tonight, I ordered one for a penny. From stores, even, not just individuals. What's the deal? Who bothers to sell a book for a penny? Shipping was $4.00... Are they going to send it media mail for $2.50 and that's the plan? Make a couple of bucks on the shipping?

I always assumed the profit was hidden in the shipping charges.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2014, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

I always assumed the profit was hidden in the shipping charges.

I suppose so. When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains etc etc. hard to imagine with the time to list the book and pack it, the actual shipping cost to the seller, the cost of the packing envelope...all to make the profit leftover from $4.00?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
It's probably an older book that had a very large print run that didn't sell. It's like when you go to a book store and find hardbacks in a bin for a buck.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I have bought some books from abebooks.com that were sent from the UK to Canada for under $10, total cost. I think that these sellers buy estate lots and library discards, reducing their unit costs to pennies (or less). Once the valuable books are sold, the rest can be sold for whatever tiny markup comes from shipping, presumably.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1166 Posts

Profile of imgic
Could be a "loss leader". They offer to sell books at minimsl or no profit, or even at a loss, in hopes you'll buy additional items.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, landmark wrote:
It was a joke Smile

I was hoping that was the case. But I've seen stranger statements around here that were made in all seriousness. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Amazon question (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL