The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bairn by Kennedy (79 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I'm only writing this because I've come across a book that I am absolutely in love with and I've not heard it mentioned anywhere else.

Right - so far this year, we've seen Bigger Fish 2, Divine, and A Piece of My Mind. All of which were excellent. Every one of them was important for one reason or another.

BUT I'm currently halfway through a book that is not only chock FULL of spectacular material, but is making me examine my approach to my material and performances.

I genuinely think this is the most important book since Maximum Entertainment.

The question the author asks is 'When a performer shows a lock on stage and gets a person to think of a code - of course it will open. The audience expects this. The same with a book test. If you ask someone to open a book and choose a word, the audience expects that you will be able to tell them the word. They may not know how, but the end result is sort of obvious and expected. Now, the process of reading the participant's mind adds some entertainment value to the effect, but in all reality, the audience still sees the punchline coming.'

The author argues that the best jokes are the ones where the punchline takes you by surprise. They are the most entertaining. And your routines should be the same. The audience shouldn't expect what happens, and I can tell you from personal experience that when the audience doesn't expect a particular revelation, that it is what makes them talk and what gets you your next gig.

It is no wonder that the author of this little book is one of the busiest guys in the business. He is always mystifying AND entertaining, and I think this might just be the book of the year.

Here is a description of one of the routines in the book:

A briefcase is displayed and the performer goes to get into it, and then realizes that he's forgotten the combination. He invites a participant onto the stage and asks them a series of questions:

You might be able to get this combination for me. But I'd need to know something about you first. For example - If you had to name an item of clothing, what would it be?

Underwear

What's the first digit then?

Which do you prefer? Coke, Sprite, Doctor Pepper, or Rum?

Rum

Okay then. What's the second digit?

And so on. In the end, the combination is generated and the briefcase opened. Applause.

But wait, what's inside the briefcase? Only everything the participant on stage freely named.

Or how about that classic - the Magic Square? Nice in and of itself. But MUCH stronger when you have a surprise ending!

So what is this book?

It is Bairn by Kennedy.

I've long said, both in public and in private, that there is no one better at revealing information within the context of mentalism, and this book is epic in every way.

Now, I don't know the guy. I've never met him, I've never Skyped with him.

I have nothing to gain by making this post. I just genuinely think this book deserves your attention.

You can find it here - and worldwide shipping is free at the moment:

http://mentalunderground.com/product/bairn/

Best,

Atlas
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1554 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Ordered.
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
940 Posts

Profile of nique
Hey Atlas you beat me to it; was going to mention Bairn here as well.

I had the pleasure of spending some time with Kennedy in Singapore earlier this year, and whilst it was only our first time meeting in person (we were only chatting over emails) I was really taken aback by how much he was willing to share with me, as I really learnt so much. If you like his published material, you'll absolutely LOVE his unpublished ideas. I've mentioned elsewhere that I was almost embarrassed that I had little in return for him, mentalism-wise. His generosity is unheard of.

Whilst waiting to board his flight at the airport, there we were, sitting at a McDonald's with his laptop out, and he showed me some of the content in Bairn. If you've got his earlier releases such as Whisper, E1 (which I love), Brainwashed or Primal Prediction, you'll know that this guy releases material that he's really worked through and actually uses regularly. One thing I like about Ken is that he's very big on interesting reveals, while keeping to traditional, low tech methods. The material in Bairn is no different.

Now, this may sound like I'm really buttering him up, but I'm not getting this book for free and as with Atlas, I don't stand to gain in any way by posting here. I've placed my order and am eagerly awaiting my copy to arrive.

~ Nique
https://youtube.com/user/nateuqin

"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, MagicAtlas wrote:
The question the author asks is 'When a performer shows a lock on stage and gets a person to think of a code - of course it will open. The audience expects this. The same with a book test. If you ask someone to open a book and choose a word, the audience expects that you will be able to tell them the word. They may not know how, but the end result is sort of obvious and expected. Now, the process of reading the participant's mind adds some entertainment value to the effect, but in all reality, the audience still sees the punchline coming.'

This is an excellent premise. You've sold me.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
"Now, I don't know the guy. I've never met him, I've never Skyped with him.

I have nothing to gain by making this post. I just genuinely think this book deserves your attention.

You can find it here - and worldwide shipping is free at the moment:"

But it's not released yet, it's still pre-order. Guess you must of got a copy sent for review.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, MagicAtlas wrote:

I genuinely think this is the most important book since Maximum Entertainment.

Atlas,

High praise. More so because it's coming from you.

Thanks for the review.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, takeachance wrote:
"Now, I don't know the guy. I've never met him, I've never Skyped with him.

You can find it here - and worldwide shipping is free at the moment:"

But it's not released yet, it's still pre-order. Guess you must of got a copy sent for review.

All true. He messaged me on Facebook and sent the book along. Steve Haresign (who published Train Tracking) is handling the printing of Bairn and I mentioned that I was interested.

I have genuinely been ecstatic about the contents. It is an awesome book and I intend to pick up a physical copy. I buy things that I like even when I am sent review copies - just ask Laurence Hookway. I'll be in the same boat as every one else who bought the book.

Best,

Atlas
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Kennedy's first book may be the single worst mentalism book I have ever purchased-not because the content was necessarily bad (apart from the trendy IS and DR of the period) but because so much of the material was unoriginal and uncredited.

And it was so shoddily made it fell apart.

I swore I'd never purchase anything from him again, but by all accounts Kennedy has become a very successful performer and if he is now releasing original material that has Atlas Brookings' highest recommendation then it has to be given serious attention.

I'm really looking forward to further reviews from people who buy the book when it is released, and who are not friends of the author.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Kennedy's first book may be the single worst mentalism book I have ever purchased-not because the content was necessarily bad (apart from the trendy IS and DR of the period) but because so much of the material was unoriginal and uncredited.

And it was so shoddily made it fell apart.

I swore I'd never purchase anything from him again, but by all accounts Kennedy has become a very successful performer and if he is now releasing original material that has Atlas Brookings' highest recommendation then it has to be given serious attention.

I'm really looking forward to further reviews from people who buy the book when it is released, and who are not friends of the author.

Martin, I'm pleased you brought this up. A short explanation of that - in brief, I was young and nieve, when I released Thoughts So Far I had been performing a lot, but not reading much at all. So I put down in print what I had been performing and sent it around some friends. They seemed to enjoy it and never once mentioned any issues with the ideas, so I went ahead with publication of Thoughts So Far.

Howveer on doing so, I received some feedback from a handful of people with crediting concerns so I immediately stopped selling it.

I feel like I did the right thing by ceasing sale of Thoughts So Far at the earliest time I could.

Bairn has now been read by some really top names including Banachek and Atlas Brookings who's thoughts you can read both here and on the website for Bairn.

Bairn does represent everything I have created and performed since then, and I hope you enjoy it.

IF anyone has any questions at all, I'm here so feel free Smile

- K
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Thanks for your response Ken. I respect that you withdrew the book, it was certainly the right thing to do -guess that means I have a collector's item, eh! Smile

Good luck with 'Bairn'. It sounds very interesting indeed.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
***, another one I can't have an impartial opinion about. I designed the book and, for what it's worth given my involvement, I think it's a really nice book (and not just because it looks great Smile ).

There are lots of pieces in there, a very wide variety, which isn't the be-all-and-end-all of a book like this but the scale of it is kind of beguiling. And the book is written in an unusual way - it's quite off the wall without being inaccessible and the material itself has the feeling of being the result of extensive real world work. There are a number of points where K explains not just how to do something but also why he does it that way, and even detailing the actual real world situations that drove the development of that handling. The writing and the presentation is knockabout and fun, but the material feels doable and of a very high standard, it's actually serious stuff.

So, I won't offer a full review because obviously I'm too close, but my subjective opinion is: if you want a bunch of pro-grade material to chew through wrapped up in a book that is genuinely funny to read, then maybe check it out.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I've Skyped with Kennedy (just the once) and I've spent 2 days with the bloke in Newcastle. He is a genuinely lovely guy and 'Thoughts So Far' wasn't THAT bad, how many of has have published anything at all? I'll be getting this book, it's by a solid working pro who just happens to be a bit mad. Cograts on the release Kennedy Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The quotes by Atlas Brookings and Banachek on Ken's website are quite impressive to say the least. Will be getting this book for sure!
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
I'm sure it will be interesting and the reviews are eagerly awaited but surely there is more to making it a limited edition than making it hardback? I've owned numerous collector's pieces over the years and they are more than simply hardback versions of a softback book.

He's very open and honest and doesn't try to mislead in the text, but calling it a limited edition is surely trying to psychologically enhance the sale. Isn't it simply paperback at £65 and hardback at £100 (only a small number of hardback copies exist).

Perhaps it's just me.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
£65 for 41 audience tested effects, created over a period of years sounds like a reasonable price, so congratulations to Kennedy for not jumping on the high-price bandwagon. If the reviews from real customers continue to be positive I'll definitely be purchasing.

I do hope the softcover binding is superior to Thoughts So Far, though. Pages of that book started dropping out within days.
Atticus R. Cane
View Profile
Regular user
since Mar 15, 2007 and still only
181 Posts

Profile of Atticus R. Cane
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2014, Rolyan wrote:

He's very open and honest and doesn't try to mislead in the text, but calling it a limited edition is surely trying to psychologically enhance the sale.

If the Bairn limited edition is anything like the remaining "4 licenses" for Mind Possibilities, it will be readily available for years to come.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
My understanding is that K wanted to make hardback copies available but the initial hardback run is going to be the only ones printed, whereas the softcover will be reprinted as and when the stock is depleted. Is that a limited edition? Dunno.
The physical manufacture of both soft and hardcover books is being handled by the ubiquitous Steve Haresign who also printed Train Tracking and Divine, both of which are very well made.

Phill

Posted: Sep 9, 2014 11:50 am
Doh, my mistake, sorry I said that Steve printed Divine which he didn't. Obviously the MC forum system forbids me from editing my post because it's 1996 and forum software has only just been invented. Steve DID print Train Tracking and both versions of A Piece of my Mind and he's currently underway with Bairn.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
mikesmithmagic
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of mikesmithmagic
This book, in a word, awesome.
"I seriously love the disarming flexibility of Mick Wilson's SDP...one of those rare card-handling procedures that exemplifies the concept of 'why run when no one is chasing you'. SDP is an open-handed utility tool that conjurers will use to great advantage when creating new effects in the years to come."

Mick Ayres, South Carolina, 2016
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Update on delivery of Bairn (sorry I look so rough lol):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyQRTO3iqxc
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I'm very intrigued by this.

If you don't mind my asking: How many of these effects require us to own other mentalism props? Particularly in the stand up material?

Posted: Sep 12, 2014 10:59 pm
Just found this list of contents:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/238016489/Bairn-Contents

Some um very... interesting titles and descriptions. Feeling a little 50 Shades of Gray coming on (no pun intended.) XP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bairn by Kennedy (79 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL