The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Replica Morgan question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
Targetting a Zillion, till now just
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
I've ordered a couple of 1899 replica Morgan Dollar coins from Amazon, and they've reached me just today. These are made somewhere in Hongkong and shipped worldwide from there. The designs in these coins are exactly like the original Morgans, with "copy" inscribed on the tail sides, so I'm legit. The edge milling and the weight are good, so these will be suitable for my purpose, i.e. sleights.

It's only that the product page described these as made of White Copper metal with worn out look. These are quite soft, but ARE MADE OF STEEL, I was sanguine after these got attracted to a magnet.

My query is simple. These coins lack the lustre of white metal, but being ferromagnetic these will be good for ditching with a magnet in my back pocket. Is this a good tradeoff? Can someone who possess this type of replica, let me know if these get rusted over time?
Best,

-Avik
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Have them silver plated, or learn how to do it yourself. Then use commonly available chemicals to tarnish them appropriately.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8724 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You got yourself a good bargain for what they are and for what you might want to do with them, magically speaking. They won't rust, that's the least of your worries. Smile If they feel worn and sorta soft already, then that's a good thing. And actually, it don't much matter if they are stamped "copy" or not in what you're doing with them - I have both sorts and haven't been put on the FBI Most Wanted. Smile And it sounds like they are good looking enough, so go with them as they are. I've personally never done nothing to any of the ones I have to enhance them -- there really was no need, unless you just need something to do. Smile

All the ones I have are also attracted to a magnet, which is a great addition that's better than real Morgans IMHO, as you can certainly use a holdout with them, I do sometimes. Specs will not know the difference, and that you can do anything with the replicas (plus feromagnetic)) that you can do with the real Morgans, for much less money or care to them, to me is well worth it.

So yeah, you got a pretty good deal. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4841 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea Anytime you use Old Coins It's Not Like Most People Know what they are Anyway! I Don't think Any one would say
" hay These are not Real!" Even If they Do You can make a joke And Say " Hay You think I can afford real Ones"
:) So I would say Just go ahead And use Them!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Thanks for the replies magicwatcher, Marion and David !!

By the way, I just clicked a pic of the coins and shared it below.

Till today I used an Eisenhower 1972 dollar coin. Being an original piece, it is a bit on the heavier side, and the lustre is there. However, as far as design is concerned, I believe Morgans are real beauties Smile

Click here to view attached image.
Best,

-Avik
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Avik, I have a bunch of these replicas which I use primarily for practice when I'm somewhere not too coin-friendly, eg. walking somewhere or taking a bus; if I drop or loose one it's not the end of the world! Also, they allow me to play with ideas such as softening coins myself, using blackening solutions, re-milling using a needle file, that sort of thing. This way I have a set of thinner, soft 'Morgans' with a nice dark patina, and a set untouched, thicker dollars.
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, CarpetShark wrote:
....softening coins myself, using blackening solutions, re-milling using a needle file, that sort of thing...

Sounds like a good idea Carpetshark !! I have a 1921 George V British worn-out Half Crown which I use for some coin routines. It looks awesome, just that the edge milling is nearly smoothened out. Can you tell me more about the remilling thing you mentioned in your post ? This coin is 50% silver, the rest being Cu-Ni. Will your method work on this? I'm intrigued to know more about your ideas Smile Smile
Best,

-Avik
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
I'll gladly share the little I know, just as long as you realize the chances of making a usable coin are nicely balanced with the likelihood of making a mess. I do nothing at all to my (new) silver coins (which are precious....my precious...), shells, etc. In short, if you can't afford to toss it away, better not dick with it!!

Ok, so having said that, just pm me with specific questions and I'll do what I can to help out. I've received so much wonderful advice from the guys here, I'm happy to get the chance to pay a little back.

Cheers
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
Avik, I am in the UK, and collect half crowns. I have over a hundred of them, some are mint uncirculated. If you are looking for a replacement, I a would be happy to sell a few to you. Alan.
Smile
Alan
Mister Wizzy
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2015, Count Elmsley wrote:
Avik, I am in the UK, and collect half crowns. I have over a hundred of them, some are mint uncirculated. If you are looking for a replacement, I a would be happy to sell a few to you. Alan.
Smile

Thanks Alan. I'll be dropping you a PM very shortly.
Best,

-Avik
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
Ive been using my replicas for years now.
And they still look the same as when I bought them.
Todd
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8724 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Have to agree with bowers here…Really no big deal using replicas.

Certainly, real Morgans have a real feel of silver to them, I suppose, but these replicas are the next best (and much cheaper) thing. It's really more so than not, what you can do with them, not what they are or aren't.

Specs will know no difference. I'm sure most folks here have both. I typically use a replica when I'm out and about. Less worry as to them, and same impact. Heck, I used to use a replica Bust dollar (1801) Smile and people would sometime inspect it and just say "WOW!, that must be worth a lot of money." Smile

It truly makes little difference, unless you make something big of it in your own mind. I'm just sayin', pretty much of which I've said here before, or something like that. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5325 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have a set of four of Joe Mogar's Magical Morgans, which are replica, ferromagnetic Morgans. They look and feel right and work very well with his magnetic expanded shell and sliding shell!

Jim
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
I use Joe's as well.Very quality set with shell.
Todd
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
J-Mac or Bowers, the set you have from Joe M, am I correct in saying he charges about $650 for his replicas ? I ask because I've been drooling over the sets over on the Johnson site, which for a silver set of Morgans is under $500.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5325 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Nope. I think they were $10.00 each. Shells were more, naturally.

Jim
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2015, J-Mac wrote:
Nope. I think they were $10.00 each. Shells were more, naturally.

Jim

That's correct and the shell is 85.00 dollars.
You can buy the set for 125.00 dollars.
Todd
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
And if you want a nice silver set.
Roy Kuepper has a morgan set for 330.00 dollars
A soft morgan set for 384.00 dollars both with
4 matching coins.
Todd
PAUL 7
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of PAUL 7
The replicas are nice coins. They are a little lighter than the real ones. I bought the peace dollars from Amazon and people think they are real. They actually sent me more than what I ordered because they didn't have the dates I wanted.

Paul
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1135 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Or you can go here:

http://www.govmint.com/2015-1-dollar-1-o......od6w4Avw

There is a "Sticky" on this very topic at the top of Nothing up my sleeve...

Please read, it may answer ALL of your questions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Replica Morgan question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL