The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Parr's Proof Positive (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
I have always enjoyed effects by David Parr. His approach is alway so eclectic--not only does he make a comic book reference, a Monty Python quote, film noir, but also makes a reference to the two states of being with a reference to Schrodinger's cat. David begins his piece with a debate regarding what makes impromptu magic impromptu? His definition remains quite purist in nature. His effect is a great improvement upon Max Maven's Positive/Negative from his Video Mind Series and additional improvements from Mystery School's Bryce Kuhlman. The result of this effect is the coin chosen by the spectator not only is predicted and under the performer's hand but also the coin's orientation of heads/tails is foreseen. I would recommend this 8-page print out to any serious mentalist and at $5.00 a bargain. Go to davidparr.com/store
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1956 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
This is really nice. I like the combination of principles at play. Brilliant!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
This is a very clean version of this plot with one slight, niggly restriction. Otherwise it would almost be the perfect solution.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
I got a copy of this fine work the moment I knew it was avaiable. I will buy anything David Parr will write up and offer as he works are always usable and interesting.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
882 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Dennfox, thank you for posting your recommendation of Proof Positive! I'm glad you like it! For those who might be unfamiliar with my version of this effect, Proof Positive is genuinely impromptu -- no preparation necessary. It starts clean and ends clean, and the only item required is an ordinary coin. It's currently available as an ebooklet in PDF format, viewable on any platform. Just follow the link to my hidden web store: http://www.davidparr.com/store/
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
This is one great $5 effect. As stated above, it is easy, impromptu and has nothing difficult about it. In my mind, a perfect followup might be Harvey Berg's 'Intercept.

Money well spent, David's thinking cuts thru the chaff to end up with a clean and simple, very do-able iteration. Thanks!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Does this involve equi as per the usual with this effect?
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
It's not the done thing to ask for details of methods. Why not spend $5 if you wish to know the techniques involved in the effect?
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
It's not the done thing to ask for details of methods. Why not spend $5 if you wish to know the techniques involved in the effect?

Because I came up with a Positive Negative routine without equi. Was hoping this one used equi.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
882 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks, everyone! I'm glad folks are enjoying this effect!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I'm genuinely surprised and delighted at how strongly this has played for me so far. Great work, David-and thanks to Sean Giles for re-igniting interest in the effect.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
882 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thank you, Martin. I think, as Sean Giles pointed out, the audience response is so strong because the effect is very clear and the conclusion is unambiguous.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Just had a read through it. Totally different to the one I came up with Smile Woohoo! But still not bad.
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
It played well for an inner-city Freshman high school class. I was lucky I had other things to follow up with because they wanted me to do it again!
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I bought this on the strength of another thread here.
Having had a few days to play, I have to say I really like it.
I too am pleasantly surprised with the reactions it gets. I can see it becoming my 'go-to' impromptu effect.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
I'm genuinely surprised and delighted at how strongly this has played for me so far. Great work, David-and thanks to Sean Giles for re-igniting interest in the effect.

You are very welcome Martin. I'm pleased that others are getting the same good reactions that I get from this effect. I first saw this performed back in 2006 by Joshua Jay on the 'Talk about Tricks' DVD set and loved how clean it looked. I think it's that clarity of the reveal that makes this play so well.

Oh and thanks to David for publishing Proof Positive in magic magazine back in 2005. This is a real bargain and a keeper. I've spent hundreds of dollars on things I don't use and this is only $5.

best,
Sean
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2868 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Some similarities to Salt?
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
882 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Bill, I've never seen that version of the effect. Based on comments posted in Inner Thoughts, I get the impression that there are the similarities that one would expect in two versions of the same effect, but that the "reveal" is different from mine.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of rasp
Is this the same as taught by Eugene Burger in his lecture?
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
882 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, rasp wrote:
Is this the same as taught by Eugene Burger in his lecture?

Eugene does not teach Proof Positive in his lectures or writings. He teaches Bryce Kuhlman's Accentuate the Positive and Tomoyuki Takahashi's Fading Coin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Parr's Proof Positive (22 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL