The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Parr's Proof Positive (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
jamesmwood
View Profile
Regular user
Buda, Texas (near Austin)
104 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Proof Positive is truly impromptu, easy to perform, angle free, and reasonably priced (currently it's a $7 download). However, it has two limitations. First, the version explained in the instruction booklet requires a soft surface (tablecloth, napkin, or the magician's thigh if the magician is seated). There's no explanation of how the trick can be done standing up without a table. Magicians who want to use Proof Positive for walk-around will have to develop their own method for doing so. Second, Proof Positive can unfold and end in several possible ways. The video at http://www.davidparr.com/store shows the cleanest possible outcome, which will occur about 33.3% of the time. In the video, David Parr claims that Proof Positive "always looks this clean", but in my opinion he's mistaken. Magicians who buy the trick expecting that it will always look as short and straightforward as the video performance are likely to be disappointed.
Jim Wood
Buda, Texas (near Austin)
jawood@utep.edu
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
There is no explanation on how this effect can be done standing up without a table... because that is not possible. You have to use other effects in your repertoire... simple as that.
And I believe that the other outcomes are truly equally clean and convincing, if performed with confidence and conviction.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
882 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thank you, Alexxander. I think that the word "clean," when it's used in the context of magic, has a specific meaning. In my understanding, it is not synonymous with "short." There are other words that convey that idea, such as "brief" or "quick." And in my mind, "clean" is not synonymous with "straightforward." There are other words that convey that idea, such as "direct" or "uncomplicated." When the word "clean" is used as most magicians use it, as I used it, it means that the method doesn't involve extraneous items or sleights that must be covered or ditched. It means "open" or "innocent." In other words, Proof Positive involves no extraneous props, nothing that could be perceived as a false move or sleight, and it always leads to an outcome in which my hands are truly empty, there is an ordinary coin on the table, and there is nothing else for anyone to find. That is what Alexxander is saying when he uses the word "clean" here. That is what I was saying in the video. And I think it's fair to say that other magicians have understood it that way too, because no one else has ever voiced any objection to my use of that word.

Alexxander is correct, performing this effect as it was originally intended requires a work surface. In the instructions for Proof Positive, I mention that I did come up with a modified handling that could be performed in a walk-around situation. From the text, the reader should be able to discern the gist of that handling. But I go on to admit that I didn't like performing it that way, because I felt that it compromised the effect. I much preferred the original handling, so I stopped doing the modified version. I suppose the compromise might have been acceptable to someone else. But to me, it wasn't. Instead, I've accepted that the word "impromptu" doesn't mean "can be performed in any circumstance." I can live with that.
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
I don´t see a reason why you can´t use it stand up!
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
882 Posts

Profile of David Parr
KiKi, it is possible to perform Proof Positive in a stand-up situation, as long as there is a work surface nearby. Performing it without a work surface involved compromises that, in my view, drained the power from the effect. They were compromises I was unwilling to make.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Parr's Proof Positive (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL