The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What is the good of philosophizing? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I think we should never stop being students. (But that doesn't mean staying in school all your life.)
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
Knowledge costs nothing but hard work.

An "education" costs what an institution charges.

To charge for an education implies that the education is an investment towards one's future.

Whether the future is about economics or happiness is uo to the investor.

I think the government should force colleges to guarantee that once a student graduates, the education the college provided will guarantee the student a well paid job. (More than $15 an hour.) Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Even if the student chooses to major in philosophy or the arts? Or should the government also require that students only study subjects deemed "profitable?" Glad to see, though, that you agree that $15.00 an hour is hardly a sufficient wage. So why does the right refuse to raise the federal minimum to even $10.00?

Rhetorical question. We already know why.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Aces, you are saying, are you not, that there's absolutely no problem with education for its own sake, if you can afford it?

Simple answer. YES.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, Pop Haydn wrote:
We are not to take risks to pursue our loves and interests? We should sacrifice joy and adventure to security and safety? Find some kind of work that suits the bosses and do it until we retire?

These aren't pioneer values in my mind.

Answering your first question. Definitely not if it endangers your family and loved ones. you have an obligation. That is an obligation to your family. Some self centered individuals do believe the world revolves around them and they want what they want...hate to bring it up again they feel entitled and the rest be darned.

Second question answer. What more joy could one have than to take care of their family and children and make a good life for them? Security and safety are what you owe your family. However if you are on your own, you have every right to persue what you want as long as the hardships falls on you and now your family because of your wants. I would never put personal wants ahead of my family just to please myself, NEVER. When I quit college with one semester to go until graduation I was on my own and never looked back and did not put anyone in any sort of harms way. That is just not me. As they say, "your mileage may vary".

Your third question. You do what you have to do. you make decisions on what presents itself. Have a plan. ask yourself where will I be in the next 5 years if I continue on like I am now? The next 10 years? Answer that question truthfully and you have taken the first big step in becoming successful. That is only if you act on your answer. If that plan is advancing your education in order to advance in your chosen field. Fine do it. However if you decide to educate yourself just for education sake with no goal other than to satisfy your curosity and that education takes from your family that is being self centered and self indulging and accomplishes nothing except possibly stroking your ego. However if as I said earlier. If you have no ties or obligations all bets are off and do as you please.

Lastly the pioneers did not do it for fun. They did it to make a better live for their loved ones.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I think we should never stop being students. (But that doesn't mean staying in school all your life.)

Agree 100%
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What is the good of philosophizing? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL