The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..14..25..36..47..54~55~56~57~58..62~63~64 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2476 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I just came back from Captain Marvel.

My daughter and I loved it. Yes, there were some tired cliches in it, but I got over that. The mid credit scene was cool. The after credit scene was fun, though expected. I thought the way they remembered Stan was beautiful.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
One Improvement I've seen in the new Doom Patrol TV series as compared with the magazine is the improvement in showing Rita Farr. Because in the comics what never made any sense to me was why she was considered a Freak when she has a normal appearance as compared with the other two members. After all her superpower is the same as Marvel's Henry Pym, and Henry Pym was never branded a freak at all.

In comparison,the improvement from the TV series is that whenever Rita gets emotional, she shockingly morphs into a giant blob of protoplasm. This morphing is beyond her control. So as a result she is a monster. Now her Ostracism away from normal society makes sense.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I saw an early preview of "Shazam!" over the weekend. It's actual release date is Friday, April 5th.

I thought it was excellent. Fun and funny (more so than most superhero movies). Some dark moments, and some good action moments. It had heart.

BTW, there are bonus scenes mid-credits and at the end of the credits.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
In watching the new Doom Patrol series I have mixed emotions. Overall I like it quite a bit but I feel that Cyborg is out of place as a member. Reason is because his Abnormality is similar to Robotman so Cyborg's presence is a redundancy. Victor Stone has some mechanical replacements to his human body but if you think about it Cliff Steel is the ultimate cyborg because his entire body has been replaced by a robot body, so all that remains is his human brain only! So in comparison, Cyborg is a redundancy.
Although Negative Man is my favorite Doom Patrol member I like RobotMan too. What really stands out the most for me was a Robot Man solo story from the 1960s. He had to apprehend an escaped fugitive on a remote island. In the course of the story, Robotman lost his limbs one by one, either from booby trap attacks or from deliberately uprooting a limb from his body in order to use that limb as a weapon, for example,dismembering a leg in order to use that leg as a boomerang. Finally after losing all 4 limbs, he winds up totally limb-less, yet still manages to capture the fugitive!
As an aside, it strangely reminds me of my all-time favorite movie, Tod Browning's Freaks because one of the freaks includes a real-life freak Prince Randian who was totally limbless. The difference is that he was limbless not through an accident but was instead born that way.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2476 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Just saw Shazam. Liked it. Different than mostdc movies. Different from Marvel too.
Magic is like Science,
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
While we're at it about Captain Marvel here is an obscure version which most people don't know about. His superpower is that he can split his body apart at the joints and make each segment act independently.
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/c/capmarv1.htm
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Looks like Avengers Endgame will be the highest grossing movie ever. Don't know how they can top this one.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It was interesting. A bit long for me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2476 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I just saw Avengers Endgame. Tied up a nice neat package, made me wonder where Marvel is going for Phase four and is there a five?
Magic is like Science,
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:
I just saw Avengers Endgame. Tied up a nice neat package, made me wonder where Marvel is going for Phase four and is there a five?

My feelings exactly. I don't know if they will continue to call them 'phases'.

I thought the movie was perfect and an amazing achievement to make all the Marvel movies to this point feel like one story with an ending. Certainly something that's never been done before on this scale. I look forward to what Marvel does in the future but I have my doubts that they will ever be able to accomplish the same thing that they did with this first set of movies.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2476 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I do have a question about Endgame that is bugging me, but I am going to wait a bit as the question requires spoilers to be used.
Magic is like Science,
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I really enjoyed "Avengers: Endgame". I saw it on opening night.

I'm looking forward to the new season of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (Season 6), starting in less than a week now (Friday, May 10). And it was announced that there would be a Season 7, last Fall, before they even aired Season 6. Season 6 & 7 are supposed to have 13 episodes each.

As to more movies, we have "Dark Phoenix" (aka "X-Men Dark Phoenix") coming on June 7, and "Spider-man: Far From Home" coming on July 2.

- Donald
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:

To answer Cliff, I remember seeing a comicon video where a bigwig announced that phase #4 is going for the supernatural vein. It has already been set up because of Doctor Strange.
The strategy behind the new phase is to avoid any predictability. Because no matter how big a blockbuster the Endgame is, even the Avengers can fall into a predictable pattern. So the strategy is to stay away from The Avengers for a while and go into a different direction such as the supernatural.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Anyone see Hellboy?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On May 5, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Anyone see Hellboy?

No, not me, but along similar lines I like DC's Etrigan the Demon. Interesting how Jason Blood keeps the Demon from going berserk. Etrigan would be great as a DC movie because it would fall into the horror vein. We can already see it in the X-Men movie coming up next month, the Dark Phoenix, where the trailer shows it falling into the horror vein. What with Phoenix's glowing eyes and all, it reminds me of the horror-movie classic, Village of the ***ed. (Note:Those asterisks are from this site, not me.)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26985 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On May 12, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:
...No, not me, but along similar lines I like DC's Etrigan the Demon. Interesting how Jason Blood keeps the Demon from going berserk. Etrigan would be great as a DC movie because it would fall into the horror vein. ...
If they got the right casting and context - sure. Hey look what they did with Lex Luthor on Supergirl. Smile

Given the success of dark Riverdale they're more likely to try Jason Blood/Etrigan as a guest on Heroes of Tomorrow (as with John Constantine) or try out the Phantom Stranger. We'll see how Lobo does on the show Krypton.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
If DC had a character that had the ability to travel into the future and Marvel had a character that had the ability to travel into the past, then they could catch up with each other and have a battle where they meet.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26985 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On May 16, 2019, tommy wrote:
If DC had a character that had the ability to travel into the future and Marvel had a character that had the ability to travel into the past, then they could catch up with each other and have a battle where they meet.
Hmmm Terminator meets Star Wars? Smile
BTW both companies have time traveling characters. Not long ago there was a Doctor Who / Star Trek crossover story.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Re: Orville's comment above.

I'm not into the horror movie genre, but don't forget that "The New Mutants" (from the X-Men series of movies) is supposed to be coming in April 2020, after delaying it's release for 2 years (it was originally supposed to be released April 2018). That movie is supposed to fall into the horror movie genre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Mutants_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Mutants_(film)#Release

"Dark Phoenix" also went through some delays from it's original release date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Phoenix_(film)#Release

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Phoen......oduction

re: the future of X-Men after "Dark Phoenix" and "The New Mutants":

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/disney-con......se-slate

Quote:
Speaking of the X-Men, Fox's Emma Watts was on hand to confirm that the upcoming Dark Phoenix (June 7) will be the "perfect sendoff for our X-Men team," per The Hollywood Reporter. This is the first real indication that the slate will be wiped clean and the roles will be recast as the superpowered mutants are re-introduced into the MCU.

- Donald
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well, I am more of a Rupert the Bear sort of guy.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..14..25..36..47..54~55~56~57~58..62~63~64 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL