The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..21..31..41..51..61..62~63~64 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
I always loved the old Superman show when he would take six bullets in the chest, and then duck when they threw the gun.


I remember an old episode (1st season) where the villain shot Superman several times, then there was a shot of the villain reacting to the fact that his gun was empty and Superman's voice said; "Now what are you going to do with the empty gun?" The villain throws the gun at Superman and it bounces off his chest.

George Reeves may have started "ducking" after awhile, but at first they did try to have the guns bounce off of him as well.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
A Hulk fan?

Let me ask this if I may. Which type of Hulk do you prefer? The mindless rampaging smashing Hulk, the sort of intelligent can converse Hulk or the too smart to be the Hulk Hulk?

World War Hulk he shifted between the last 2.


As I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, my favorite Hulk would be the angry tantrum child-like Hulk used in The Defenders.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Always my favorite. Right on the edge of out of control.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
While you're at it about the Hulk, I think that DC's answer to the Hulk is Solomon Grundy. The first time I ran across Solomon Grundy was in that Showcase issue during the 1960s when DC was reviving the Golden Age Heroes, so in that issue, they revived both Dr. Fate and Hourman at the same time. Basically,I wanted that issue because I knew that Dr. Fate had mystical-type powers. But I was disappointed because most of the story centered on the Golden Age Green Lantern.
But I got compensated when in a later issue, Dr. Fate and Hourman came back again, this time to fight the Psycho-Pirate, a villain who can control other people's Emotions. In the end, Dr. Fate put a BLANK-mask over Psycho-Pirate's face so his facial expressions can not cause Emotions. The Psycho-Pirate must be extremely powerful because later on,he appeared in The Spectre's magazine, where his emotion-power caused innocent people to get terrified at the sight of The Spectre. Anybody who can influence The Spectre must be powerful indeed!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Batman had a villain called "The Blockbuster" who appears to be much closer to The Hulk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbuster_%28DC_Comics%29
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:
Batman had a villain called "The Blockbuster" who appears to be much closer to The Hulk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockbuster_%28DC_Comics%29


It can become confusing because there is more than one Blockbuster. I had only known of just ONE Blockbuster until you provided that link. The version of Blockbuster I am referring to is one which appeared back during the 1960s when the Justice League teamed up with the Justice Society. A mysterious phenomenon was causing inhabitants from Earth-One and Earth-Two to inexplicably teleport from one Earth to the other. Among those teleported was Blockbuster. So both the JLA and JSA had to determine the cause of the phenomenon.
To even further compound the crisis, the two Earths were being slowly drawn to each other for a collision, and it was The Spectre alone whose body (grown to gigantic size) spread-eagled between the two Earths which kept them from colliding. That showed you the Near-Godlike omnipotence of The Spectre because he made his body grow as gigantic as the whole Earth itself in order to keep the two Earths apart. That's why I usually do Not like The Spectre as his powers often rival those of God himself. At the same time, though, I realize how integral he was to the story.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:
George Reeves may have started "ducking" after awhile, but at first they did try to have the guns bounce off of him as well.

I saw David Brenner do his comedy routine on the Mike Douglas show and say the same thing. When the gun was thrown Superman would duck. Noel Neill who played Lois on the series was also a guest. At the sit down she contradicted just about everything that was in David Brenner's comedy routine including Superman ducking the gun. Superman flying and they never showed his whole body on camera was also contradicted.

Tony Curtis never said in a movie Yonder to the castle of my fadder.

Tarzan never said - Me Tarzan you Jane on film.

However it made it into comedy routines that audiences seem to want to remember as a movie fact.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tGf1r8-Snss

Wow first post back and you are wrong already.

Look at 1:05 and superman DUCKS THE GUN.

Did she contradict that?

Maybe your memory is failing?

Seems as if not ducking and bouncing off may not have been accurate. This took literally ten seconds to find. She may very well have said it but she was OBVIOUSLY quite wrong.

I have no ideas a what Tony Curtis or Tarzan said.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Back to the original subject of the thread.

As far as the movies are concerned DC certainly has a ways to go. They may be too far behind already since Marvel has already put many of their characters into big budget successes, with more planned than DC.

On the small screen DC is far ahead. The Flash is great, what with the Arrow crossovers and the upcoming introduction of the Atom.

Arrow is cool, with its own cast of minor heroes and the Ras Al Gul sub plot.

The way they're writing both shows with an eye to what's going on I'm the other is really smart. I can see many guest appearances happening (Batman in Arrow, battling Ras anyone?)

Gotham has been a pleasant surprise. I wasn't sure about the whole Gotham before Batman thing, but they've done a great job. The slow evolutions of the Riddler and Penguin are being handled well.

On the other hand Marvel has SHIELD and not much else. Agent Carter was a poor choice for a second series IMO.

They should have went with the Hulk, because Hulk smashes!

One thing is sure, both companies have so much history to draw from and so much money, that the fans win either way.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was excited about Gotham and am not disappointed. Great casting.

The Flash has been interesting as well and Arrow remains strong in my opinion.

Have not yet seen Agent Carter.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tGf1r8-Snss

Wow first post back and you are wrong already.

Look at 1:05 and superman DUCKS THE GUN.

Did she contradict that?

Maybe your memory is failing?

Seems as if not ducking and bouncing off may not have been accurate. This took literally ten seconds to find. She may very well have said it but she was OBVIOUSLY quite wrong.

I have no ideas a what Tony Curtis or Tarzan said.


So what - That is what she said and "she" was on the show. Please keep in mind that the clip is "early" Adventures of Superman. And at the time Lois was probably played by Phyllis Coates. It probably never did happen after Noel Neill took over the part of Lois. (Phyllis Coates (1952–1953) Noel Neill (1953–1958)

The rest of your post is just the regular Danny Bull Spit and not worth responding to.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I always thought that DC had better superhero's and Marvel had better writers.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
I was excited about Gotham and am not disappointed. Great casting.

The Flash has been interesting as well and Arrow remains strong in my opinion.

Have not yet seen Agent Carter.


I'm interested in seeing how they develop the young Bruce Wayne. He's still kind of in shock and getting used to being the billionaire heir. If the show runs 7 plus years he'll be a hard character to keep relevant, which will be weird since, well, he's the whole reason anyone knows about Gotham.

Agent Carter is just too fringe, and the 50's is a hard era to make interesting. I couldn't get into the pilot.

Since I'm in Florida recuperating, I'm gonna binge watch the first bunch of episodes, but I'm not too hopeful.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, bishthemagish wrote:
I always thought that DC had better superhero's and Marvel had better writers.


I always preferred Marvel because the heroes always seemed more relatable, more a part of the society they were involved in. Also more vulnerable.

Tomato - tomahto.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I also feel that DC's best stories were in the 50's, 60's and early 70's.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tGf1r8-Snss

Wow first post back and you are wrong already.

Look at 1:05 and superman DUCKS THE GUN.

Did she contradict that?

Maybe your memory is failing?

Seems as if not ducking and bouncing off may not have been accurate. This took literally ten seconds to find. She may very well have said it but she was OBVIOUSLY quite wrong.

I have no ideas a what Tony Curtis or Tarzan said.


So what - That is what she said and "she" was on the show. Please keep in mind that the clip is "early" Adventures of Superman. And at the time Lois was probably played by Phyllis Coates. It probably never did happen after Noel Neill took over the part of Lois. (Phyllis Coates (1952–1953) Noel Neill (1953–1958)

The rest of your post is just the regular Danny Bull Spit and not worth responding to.


On earth most people just say "wow I guess I was wrong".

The point is that it DID HAPPEN.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I guess this is more Danny bull spit perhaps trying to derail another thread. Where I come from on my earth professional entertainers don't go around and run down other professionals.

Getting back to DC and Marvel.

I liked the early Spiderman in the 60's and the cartoon series that is now on DVD that I used to watch on Saturday Mourning. It was a lot better than the cartoon DC stuff like Superfriends.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, bishthemagish wrote:
I guess this is more Danny bull spit perhaps trying to derail another thread. Where I come from on my earth professional entertainers don't go around and run down other professionals.



Clearly when you claimed incorrectly that he never ducked the gun that was your version of being professional.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:

Clearly when you claimed incorrectly that he never ducked the gun that was your version of being professional.


Here is what I said.....

Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, bishthemagish wrote:

I saw David Brenner do his comedy routine on the Mike Douglas show and say the same thing. When the gun was thrown Superman would duck. Noel Neill who played Lois on the series was also a guest. At the sit down she contradicted just about everything that was in David Brenner's comedy routine including Superman ducking the gun. Superman flying and they never showed his whole body on camera was also contradicted.

Tony Curtis never said in a movie Yonder to the castle of my fadder.

Tarzan never said - Me Tarzan you Jane on film.

However it made it into comedy routines that audiences seem to want to remember as a movie fact.


Clearly I am just reporting on what was said on a TV show by one of the people that starred in the Superman series. So clearly you did not read the post or comprehend the post or your just trying to start another fight over NOTHING! Or your trying to derail another thread over trivia. I really don't know what your problem is - however it is YOUR problem. Good luck with that!

Plus there were two different people that played Lois. Try reading and comprehending my above posts.

Getting back to DC and Marvel I like the animated Batman, Batman beyond and the Justice league as well as Young Justice series that came out a few years ago.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tGf1r8-Snss

Wow first post back and you are wrong already.

Look at 1:05 and superman DUCKS THE GUN.

Did she contradict that?

Maybe your memory is failing?

Seems as if not ducking and bouncing off may not have been accurate. This took literally ten seconds to find. She may very well have said it but she was OBVIOUSLY quite wrong.

I have no ideas a what Tony Curtis or Tarzan said.


Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam." Cary Grant never said; "Judy, Judy, Judy" Bette Davis never said; "Peter, give me the letter."

But I did see an episode where they emptied a gun into Superman. A close up of the bad guy with George Reeves voice off screen saying; "...and now what are you going to do with the empty gun?" Followed by the bad guy throwing the gun and it bouncing off George's chest.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..21..31..41..51..61..62~63~64 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL