The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..23..32..41..50..59..61~62~63 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea if you want great writing and character development that is the place to find it for sure. Oh wait I meant the other thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Look away if you're trying to avoid watching any trailers of the upcoming Avengers movie. Here is the latest, release today. Most of it is new and it is AMAZING! Be sure to watch it to the end to get the first real shot of The Vision.

I've waited this long I can wait 58 MORE DAYS!

21 more days!!
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The Daredevil on Netflix starts soon.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea if you want great writing and character development that is the place to find it for sure. Oh wait I meant the other thing.

Indeed, the writing was great. There was slap stick comedy written into the Adam West Batman series that was akin to the slap stick comedy of the classic vaudeville acts of a by gone age. The show was classic vaudeville family time for a modern TV audience (of it's day).

But I would not expect you to know anything about the history of vaudeville and slap stick comedy.

And I am not looking forward to Daredevil. It will probably be low grade.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2695 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
What is the point of telling exactly the same story?

But that is your preference and that is ok. No right answer. Actually it is the right answer for you.

People re imagine the wheel all the time. Put rubber on it and use it for all sorts of things like the pulley and gears.

I watched a play in Boston about the creator of "Astro Boy" (also, pretty much the creator of the entire anime field). In the story line, they mention that to keep costs down, they would "rotoscope" existing footage so Astro was pretty much fighting each monster in the same style each time.

Me, myself, personally, I prefer character development. But I haven't watched any of the new superhero shows as I'm usually working and don't feel like pulling them off the websites.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2695 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:

Indeed, the writing was great. There was slap stick comedy written into the Adam West Batman series that was akin to the slap stick comedy of the classic vaudeville acts of a by gone age. The show was classic vaudeville family time for a modern TV audience (of it's day).

But I would not expect you to know anything about the history of vaudeville and slap stick comedy.

And I am not looking forward to Daredevil. It will probably be low grade.

Actually, I always felt that "Gilligan's Island" was the perfect example of vaudeville style humor. But it was meant to be a comedy. I don't want comedy/super heroes. (An aside, we almost got Bill Murry as a comedic Batman before they decided on Michael Keaton.)
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
"Gilligan's Island" had a laugh track and although it was comedy it was not slap stick vaudeville comedy the way the Batman series was.

As far as TV series goes I liked the short series Sable a lot. To bad it did not find an audience on TV and was a short series.

Another series that was short lived of the 60's was THE Cat. Very good.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes Glenn you are the only one who knows anything about vaudeville.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
"Gilligan's Island was a situation comedy and the situation was the castaways being stranded on an Island and they want to get rescued. And they come up with a plan and Gilligan goofs it up.

Batman was very different in their approach to writing. After it's first run away success season there were a lot of copy cat shows the next season with an attempt at comedy super hero shows. Captain Nice and Mr. Terrific come to mind. Neither of these went past one season of bad ratings.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
Yes Glenn you are the only one who knows anything about vaudeville.

And I still don't expect you to know anything about classic slap stick comedy that was performed in vaudeville. Or how it relates to the TV show Batman. Or history of two Lois Lane's on the George Reeves Superman TV show as well.

Adam West commented on one of my DVDs of Batman that he loved it because it was the Theater of the absurd.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes you are the all knowing. You proved it earlier in this very thread.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
Yes you are the all knowing. You proved it earlier in this very thread.

Please stop trying to de-rail this thread again with your personal issues toward me.

Still not looking forward to daredevil. First of all daredevil has a mask not a blindfold.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
According to that theory the Batman you so love is bad because the comic is dark and not campy. Batman was not a slapstick vaudeville character or written as a comedy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
What? Just where do you come up with these things? And please don't de-rail this thread with your privet problems toward me. Perhaps Daredevil will be doing the blindfolded drive and that is why he has a blindfold instead of a mask.

I hope it is not as bad as the Daredevil movie was. But it doesn't look like it will be.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2695 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I haven't been following Daredevil, but I do recall in the comic, BEFORE he dons the iconic red suit, there's a incident where he needs to free som kidnapped girls and wraps a scarf (given to him by Electra) around his eyes. So there IS a prescident (sp) for him wearing a blindfold before getting his costume. (I'm imagining they're going to totally ignore the red and yellow monstrosity he wore in his first issue.)
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
I remember that first Daredevil issue. The costume then was primarily yellow, wasn't it?
Lots of tapping around the house with my eyes closed in those days.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
As I had said before, I'm worried that AntMan may be Marvel's first misstep. I hope I'm wrong.

After watching the latest trailer, I'm a bit more hopeful.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am fairly certain that you mean their first recent misstep.

To me the whole Antman/Yellowjacket/Giant Man/ Hank Pymm thing is tough. Pacifist or Avenger?They go back an forth on him way too much. Depending on who he is in the movie may well hinge how well it is done.

With recent success expectations will be high.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I was going to say, "Not at all Danny". But, in reflection, I guess the two Hulk movies were probably miss-steps by Marvel Studios. They've had such a string of solid successes that I forgot about those two for a sec.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Oops, actually, the first Hulk wasn't made by Marvel Studios. It was the Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton that was made by Marvel Studios and I think generally considered a much better movie than the first. Not near as solid a hit as just about everything else but not exactly a big misstep either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..23..32..41..50..59..61~62~63 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL