The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..24..33..42..51..60..62~63~64 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, bishthemagish wrote:
Still not looking forward to daredevil. First of all daredevil has a mask not a blindfold.

Just watched the 1st 3 episodes of Daredevil. I would agree with most the reviews that have been out there so far in that it's easily the best superhero show on TV. (It's the first one that I'll continue to watch and happily recomend, unlike all the rest.) Also, it's an origin story which is why I think he starts out wearing a blindfold and not the full costume. He hasn't switched to the costume yet but based on the Netflix picture of the series, he will be putting on the actual Daredevil costume at some point.

The acting is all top notch. No over-acting, nothing way over the top, very gritty. It also ties in nicely to the overall Marvel Universe with a few small references to things that have happened in the movies, like the destruction of large parts of NY from the first Avengers movie.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am anxious to see it. As I said Stick is one of my favorite characters.

Most origin stories start with an interim costume and build to what we traditionally think of.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am fairly certain that you mean their first recent misstep.

To me the whole Antman/Yellowjacket/Giant Man/ Hank Pymm thing is tough. Pacifist or Avenger?They go back an forth on him way too much. Depending on who he is in the movie may well hinge how well it is done.

With recent success expectations will be high.

I don't think THIS Ant-Man is Hank Pym (worst moment in my mind was when they put him in a trench coat and a floppy hat and had him going by his regular name "Dr. Pym." I couldn't help but feel they were trying to rip off Tom Baker's Doctor Who)
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
Still not looking forward to daredevil. First of all daredevil has a mask not a blindfold.

Just watched the 1st 3 episodes of Daredevil. I would agree with most the reviews that have been out there so far in that it's easily the best superhero show on TV. (It's the first one that I'll continue to watch and happily recomend, unlike all the rest.) Also, it's an origin story which is why I think he starts out wearing a blindfold and not the full costume. He hasn't switched to the costume yet but based on the Netflix picture of the series, he will be putting on the actual Daredevil costume at some point.

The acting is all top notch. No over-acting, nothing way over the top, very gritty. It also ties in nicely to the overall Marvel Universe with a few small references to things that have happened in the movies, like the destruction of large parts of NY from the first Avengers movie.

Just binge watched Daredevil.

Awesome.

It might not be for some however, since they foolishly decided to develop the characters.

Bring on Season 2.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Just finished it myself. Best Superhero Show done for TV. Easily. Looking forward to AKA Jessica Jones and really hoping Netflix decides to do a 2nd season of Daredevil.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Just finished it myself. Best Superhero Show done for TV. Easily. Looking forward to AKA Jessica Jones and really hoping Netflix decides to do a 2nd season of Daredevil.

Yep.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am watching episode 3 now. Fantastic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I had no interest whatsoever in watching Daredevil, but yesterday I listened to an hour and half long podcast by Kevin Smith ("Fatman on Batman") devoted solely to analyzing the awesomeness of the show.

...I'm on episode 2 now, awesome!
I have to admit, I don't know why everyone cares so much about the fight scenes. They're good, very good for tv/movie fight scenes, but they don't blow me away; it's the story and character development that's making it work (IMO).

I haven't followed this thread (there are a lot of pages), but on the level of tv and movies I don't think there is any way for DC to catch up to Marvel, especially not after this. I CANNOT wait for Jessica Jones!
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:

<<SPOILERS>>
Kevin Smith (in his 1.5 hour long love-song/podcast to netflix's Daredevil) mentions that he Does end up in the suit (with mask and everything), but they take the first season to build it up organically. he says that the name, the costume and everything else are developed beautifully in the same way.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
So what, in all of your opinions, makes a successful superhero movie?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2015, seadog93 wrote:
Quote:

<<SPOILERS>>
Kevin Smith (in his 1.5 hour long love-song/podcast to netflix's Daredevil) mentions that he Does end up in the suit (with mask and everything), but they take the first season to build it up organically. he says that the name, the costume and everything else are developed beautifully in the same way.

Of course he ends up in the suit. The first part of superman he is a baby almost always. But they develop the story. LOL.

I do like the way they keep building to "The Man Without Fear".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The new trailer for "Batman v Superman" is really good, IMHO... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was pretty underwhelmed by it myself.

Is that Holly Hunters voice I hear in it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I don't think that any batman movies have got me excited since I was a kid with the Buurto movies (which in hindsight are not even remotely true to the comics, with batman using guns, killing, etc.). I've enjoyed the more recent ones, but they don't scream "Batman" to me. I've heard such awful things about the recent superman movies that I have no interest. In general, unless Grant Morisson is writing him, I don't care to much about Superman (...smallville was cool).

Batman the animated series!!!
...'nuff said.

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2015, landmark wrote:
So what, in all of your opinions, makes a successful superhero movie?

Good question, and one that for me is kind of hard to answer but I'll give it a try by also talking about what I don't like.

It's got to be written for adults and be believable. Believable is a funny word to use in the context of Superhero movies but, at least within the world they create, it should be believable. People act like you would expect.

For instance, I don't like The Flash at all. It's written for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer crowd. Young adults. Besides Barry Allen, two other characters that are main characters are young attractive adults who just happen to be geniuses. You've got this kind of surfer dude guy who is supposed to be an incredible genius who can create anything. It's just not believable. (Agents of Shield does the same thing which I hate.)

Here's a good example of why it's not believable. I've watched maybe half a dozen or so episodes. More than once, The Flash essentially stopped a villain from using his powers and then basically let the guy run away. I mean, come on, he's the Flash, in half a second he could of at least run up to the guy and knocked him out. Stuff like that really ruins a Superhero show.

Also, it needs to be relatively true to the source material. This is another area where The Flash blows it. Very little about the character is true to the original source material other than his powers and his name.

I wouldn't say that Daredevil ranks up there with Justified or Breaking Bad but it's much closer than most the dreck that's on TV. Great actors, pretty good writing, a complete story instead of the villain a week that is normal for most super hero shows.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Ten days left.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
About Daredevil it is the best portrayal of the Kingpin in live movies. The cartoons are always good, but this is great. Vincent D'Onofrio really suprised me.

Defenders will be interesting.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Da......443.html

"It's official, Daredevil fans! Netflix just confirmed that the Marvel series will be back for a second season. Daredevil Season 2 will premiere in 2016"

Hooray!
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Da......443.html

"It's official, Daredevil fans! Netflix just confirmed that the Marvel series will be back for a second season. Daredevil Season 2 will premiere in 2016"

Hooray!

Yes!!!!!!!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Told ya!

With those initials it had to be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..24..33..42..51..60..62~63~64 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL