The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..29..36..43..50..57~58~59 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I don't think this counts as a spoiler, since the scene I am about to mention is in the trailer for all to see.

I really really liked the movie. I thought the process of building the characters emotionally up to what ended up happening made sense. I do agree that the movie was much darker than it needed to be, but Luthor and his motivations worked for me, probably for the first time since I started reading DC books in 1972.

My only complaint was that I thought Batman looked ridiculous fighting along side Superman and Wonder Woman. He basically had nothing to bring to the table for that knock-down drag-out, and he was totally outclassed at that point.

If Superman is hard to write for, then the team of Superman and Batman must be impossible. How many times can you have, "You go move that asteroid, while I fight 40 guys to push a button to deactivate the whatever it is," before it get s too predicable? I had that issue in the 70's with the Super Friends show and still have it now.

But I digress. Truth is I really loved the movie.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19491 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2016, rockwall wrote:
I don't think they changed Superman so much as they changed the world around him.


I don't know about Sups but there is an absolute HUGE change in the Bat which really rubbed me the wrong way. When you see the movie PM me because I bet you notice it too.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:

My only complaint was that I thought Batman looked ridiculous fighting along side Superman and Wonder Woman. He basically had nothing to bring to the table for that knock-down drag-out, and he was totally outclassed at that point.



I see your point. That reminded me of Aquaman from those 1960s Justice League issues when menaces had to be made up to accommodate Aquaman to the point that it looked so contrived. While I'm at it, I don't see why DC is wasting its time by making an Aquaman movie. Aquaman has hardly any fans in comparison. So instead, all the efforts should be directed at beefing up the Flash, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern. After all, those three combined with Batman and Superman are the Big Five for DC. Aquaman as a movie is wasted effort just as Jonah Hex was. Remember how much of a flop that DC's Jonah Hex film was.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
There was an animated DC short made of Jonah Hex that I thought was pretty good. It was part of a series, and they were all well done IMHO. Yes, I agree live action Hex was a waste of effort.

I am going to keep an open mind on the Aquaman movie. Maybe it could be done well enough to make an interest. That does not mean that he belongs with the JLA. I know just what you mean Orville, about the contrived menaces.

Imagine....
Batman: We have to destroy all six of these evil villain built power stations.
Flash: Look Batman, one of them is in the mid Atlantic trench.
Batman: Good thing we have Aquaman here!
Aquaman: I was going to offer to take out the one that is in orbit, but I guess Superman can do that.

OK, that was a joke, but I agree with Orville, the point is made.

Anyone remember Aqualad in the Teen Titans getting sick because he felt useless? It was an interesting idea and it led to the wise choice of having him leave the Titans and go about his business elsewhere.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26867 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Wondering what the Robot Chicken show writers are planning for their next Super Friends / Justice League moments.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5687 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Wonder Woman was really good in BvS!

Affleck is the best Batman so far imo...

Cavill is the best Superman so far for me.

Lex was also good.

Doomsday could have been better.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5687 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, rockwall wrote:
How can DC catch up with Marvel?

They can't.


Because DC is already better. Smile


Oh Pakar, I'm disappointed in you. I thought you of all people would see the much greater value in Marvel! Smile


Why not let the box office decide?



Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19491 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Has it done well? I can't imagine it being a bomb.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Very well so far. And pre-sales for this weekend makes it look like it will continue strong.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5687 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Has it done well? I can't imagine it being a bomb.


It has done fantastically! Smile

Google it.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19491 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I personally was pleasantly surprised.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Low expectations will do that sometimes! Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19491 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea that might have helped some.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Also nice is how the movie sets up Wonder Woman for her upcoming film. I was at Barnes and Noble Store the other day where I ran across the Wonder Woman Encyclopedia. Humongous tome covering everything you would want to know about that character. Of especial interest to me is her Truth-Lasso. When ensnared in its coils, the captive is compelled to blurt out the truth. But what baffles me is that the Truth-Lasso has NO effect on the Bizarroes--as far as I know, the only creatures which are the exception. If anybody knows why, maybe they can clarify, because it was left unexplained.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5687 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, Orville_Smith wrote:
Also nice is how the movie sets up Wonder Woman for her upcoming film. I was at Barnes and Noble Store the other day where I ran across the Wonder Woman Encyclopedia. Humongous tome covering everything you would want to know about that character. Of especial interest to me is her Truth-Lasso. When ensnared in its coils, the captive is compelled to blurt out the truth. But what baffles me is that the Truth-Lasso has NO effect on the Bizarroes--as far as I know, the only creatures which are the exception. If anybody knows why, maybe they can clarify, because it was left unexplained.


How bizarre? Smile

(90's song there...)
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2016, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, Orville_Smith wrote:
Also nice is how the movie sets up Wonder Woman for her upcoming film. I was at Barnes and Noble Store the other day where I ran across the Wonder Woman Encyclopedia. Humongous tome covering everything you would want to know about that character. Of especial interest to me is her Truth-Lasso. When ensnared in its coils, the captive is compelled to blurt out the truth. But what baffles me is that the Truth-Lasso has NO effect on the Bizarroes--as far as I know, the only creatures which are the exception. If anybody knows why, maybe they can clarify, because it was left unexplained.


How bizarre?

(90's song there...)


Er, no, I never heard of that song until you mentioned it. Since I grew up during the 60s, I'm more into the Rolling Stones. But I went to Youtube and listened to that song you mentioned. Not bad at all, but I'm still into the Rolling Stones after all these years. Did you know that they're elderly and are still performing? The other week, they performed in Cuba. A certainly enduring group. They outlasted the Beatles, that's for sure.

Since this thread is about comics and you mentioned "bizarre," it reminds me of a DC comic called the Doom Patrol. I remember their logo-banner always touting them as the "World's Most Bizarre Heroes" such as Negative Man whose radio-active body made him a menace even though he was a hero at the same time. In other words, instead of being so-called superheroes, their superpowers instead made them freaks. This is what made them so innovative. Sometimes I wish they were made into a movie too, although I know that will never happen. But I can dream.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, rockwall wrote:
Very well so far. And pre-sales for this weekend makes it look like it will continue strong.


http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bo......n-880012

Excerpts:

Dismal reviews and a mediocre B CinemaScore are catching up with Zack Snyder's tentpole even as it amasses sizeable grosses at the global box office for a total $587.8 million through Friday.

Zack Snyder's Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice is plunging 70 percent in its second weekend - the biggest drop in history for a marquee superhero title - even as it easily stays at No. 1.

The Warner Bros. title earned $15.3 million Friday from 4,256 theaters for a projected second weekend gross of $50 million, well less than anticipated.

Heading into the weekend, some analysts thought BvS would pull in north of $60 million, considering it has little competition (there are no new major studio titles opening nationwide). Early returns on Friday showed it grossing closer to $58 million, meaning a 65 percent drop, on par with Snyder's Man of Steel, but traffic was lighter than expected later in the evening.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, Orville_Smith wrote:
Also nice is how the movie sets up Wonder Woman for her upcoming film. I was at Barnes and Noble Store the other day where I ran across the Wonder Woman Encyclopedia. Humongous tome covering everything you would want to know about that character. Of especial interest to me is her Truth-Lasso. When ensnared in its coils, the captive is compelled to blurt out the truth. But what baffles me is that the Truth-Lasso has NO effect on the Bizarroes--as far as I know, the only creatures which are the exception. If anybody knows why, maybe they can clarify, because it was left unexplained.

What I've read is that Bizarro was "horrified by the very idea of truth. As the antithesis of reason and logic he was able to break the lasso."

Image
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19491 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2016, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, rockwall wrote:
Very well so far. And pre-sales for this weekend makes it look like it will continue strong.


http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bo......n-880012

Excerpts:

Dismal reviews and a mediocre B CinemaScore are catching up with Zack Snyder's tentpole even as it amasses sizeable grosses at the global box office for a total $587.8 million through Friday.

Zack Snyder's Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice is plunging 70 percent in its second weekend - the biggest drop in history for a marquee superhero title - even as it easily stays at No. 1.

The Warner Bros. title earned $15.3 million Friday from 4,256 theaters for a projected second weekend gross of $50 million, well less than anticipated.

Heading into the weekend, some analysts thought BvS would pull in north of $60 million, considering it has little competition (there are no new major studio titles opening nationwide). Early returns on Friday showed it grossing closer to $58 million, meaning a 65 percent drop, on par with Snyder's Man of Steel, but traffic was lighter than expected later in the evening.

Ouch.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
This thread is pretty much the only reason I keep coming back here. Smile

Orville_Smith- have you checked out "The Flash" tv show? The second season is better than the first, fixes some of the problems the first season had with Flash forgetting how he could actually use his powers.

Dannydoyle- haven't seen the movie, but I know what you're talking about re: Batman. A similar change to Superman kind of wrecked "Man of Steel" for a lot of fans.

Cliffg37- Some of the later takes on Aquaman helped by realizing that, considering the pressure he lived at, he had to be the strongest hero on the team with the exception of Superman. Then he started tearing through metal like it was paper, crumpling rifles into balls, etc. At one point I believe everyone was trapped by some sort of gravity device, unable to move, and the villian was walking through, gloating, until Aquaman clocked him- he'd been faking the whole time.

As for the movie, you know, D.C. stands for "Detective Comics". They've got "Comics" in their own name, but insist on being so very grimdark about everything it just hurts.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..29..36..43..50..57~58~59 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL