The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..36..47..58..69..79~80~81 [Next]
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Admittedly, Balducci, Apocalypse was disappointing, especially when compared with the previous X-men film. The way I see it,it was because the current film was trying for a grand-scale type approach with Apocalypse, and that grand-scale was already done successfully with Cap's Civil War a few weeks earlier. Maybe it was too soon for such an epic approach--fans were still recovering from the Cap film and needed a breather, so to speak. Too many epics at once can cause an overkill. That's why in my case, in the Apocalypse film, my favorite part was nothing about Apocalypse at all but instead the segment with Cyclops that I mentioned earlier in my review. In other words, nothing on a grand scale but instead something "down to Earth."
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2014, landmark wrote:

He seemed different. I guess it's really his costume and a bit of skin tone change. He always seemed like a filler guy, but he was more interesting than Superman to me because fire seemed like something more available to your average villain, and hence made the superhero less invulnerable seeming.

To reply to LM, it seems that the Martian J'onn J'onzz has recently become the most powerful hero at DC because he recently took on and defeated the entire Justice League. In fact, in one panel, even Superman himself admitted that he's afraid of the Martian. After all, in addition to having Superman's powers, JJ can shape-change and has ESP abilities as powerful as Marvel's Professor Xavier. Has our favorite Martian become too powerful or what?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
My problem with J'onn was always his personality. When the JLA started he was cast in the same role as everybody else. Later he seemed to have no personality. Then he became the utilitarian leader (the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one kind of thing)

J'onn could be great in the hands of the correct writer. Having him brood over his lost world and family may be accurate to such a being, but it is not interesting.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I haven't read through this entire thread (recently), but the conversation on J'onn Jonzz has resurfaced. He was one of the main characters on the first season of (the new TV series) "Supergirl." Just in case some didn't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl_(TV_series)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2016, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I haven't read through this entire thread (recently), but the conversation on J'onn Jonzz has resurfaced. He was one of the main characters on the first season of (the new TV series) "Supergirl." Just in case some didn't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl_(TV_series)

- Donald

Didn't the Martian appear on Smallville too? I also remember Doctor Fate appearing. Speaking of Dr. Fate, I recently bought a compilation of him, several issues in one book. It was somewhat disappointing, although I acknowledge that writer Paul Levitz tried to make it fresh by making the new Fate a college kid. It was a good try but still awkward. But in the same month, I also bought a Dr. Strange compilation too, and that one was very good, with Steven Strange's astral-form directing the surgery being done on his own physical body. It adds to my anticipation for his upcoming movie.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2016, Orville Smith wrote:

Didn't the Martian appear on Smallville too? I also remember Doctor Fate appearing.

I had forgotten that. But a quick Google search proved that to be true.

- Donald
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Additional comment on Apocalypse is that the actor would be very well suited for the role of Thunder agent Noman, that android character who can do soul-transference. The only difference is that his skin would be blue, but other than that, the saturnine facial features are already tailor-made. And Apocalypse wears the same kind of hood that Noman wears.
So far the closest thing I've seen of a facial resemblance to Noman on live-action film are the androids from the science fiction film CREATION OF THE HUMANOIDS. They even had the blue-skin, same as Noman's.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
My problem with J'onn was always his personality. When the JLA started he was cast in the same role as everybody else. Later he seemed to have no personality. Then he became the utilitarian leader (the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one kind of thing)

J'onn could be great in the hands of the correct writer. Having him brood over his lost world and family may be accurate to such a being, but it is not interesting.

Well,actually I think they were trying to make him just like the Spock character. After all, Spock was known for his coldness and aloofness. The big difference is that the Martian was simply cold whereas Spock's coldness was a facade as he had the inner conflict between his human half and Vulcan half.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
In the obituary today was actress Noel Neill who died at age 95. She was famous as the very first actress to play Lois Lane from the Superman films, both the movie-serials and the tv series. I acknowledge the popularity of the tv series but my favorite hero was still The Flash during that time. At the same time, though, I still have some Superman stories that are favorites but they are from the magazines rather than film. I think I should list those favorites in a subsequent post. But for the time being, I just wanted to eulogize.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
As I have often fondly said...

No one can play Lois Lane well. The problem is that to be Lois you have to be four things, two of which conflict with each other. She has to be strong and smart, while blindly blundering into trouble to be rescued. She has to be a b)itch but you have to like her.

Most actresses hit 3 out of four. In Noel's Case I never liked her much, and did not see what Clark/Superman saw in her.

Still, I toast her memory. She did entertain us after all.
Magic is like Science,
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I finally saw Batman v Superman. The so-called extended ULTIMATE EDITION version, not the theatrical. I liked it quite a bit.

My understanding is that the theatrical version cut out some essential plot points that, among other things, explained why some characters behaved as they did.

http://www.thewrap.com/batman-v-superman......mentary/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
After their huge successes with Daredevil and Jessica Jones, Netflix has just released the first trailer for Luke Cage and a teaser for Iron Fist. Game of Thrones fans may recognize the actor playing Iron Fist who met an untimely demise this season along with his sister.

Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Thanks for letting us know about Luke Cage --although as far as Black-heroes go, my favorite is still Brother Voodoo. Although the first artist to illustrate Brother Voodoo was Gene Colan, I find that the best artists for that series were those Filipino-artists such as Tony De Zuniga. I felt De Zuniga was ideally suited for those stories with Voodoo's adversary with the white-painted face. Along similar lines was another Filipino-artist Alfredo Alcala who drew the "Tales of the Zombie" series.

What got me interested in Filipino-artists was when I found out recently that the Philipines has a very popular superhero of its own called Lastikman whose body can stretch like rubber just like DC's Elongated Man. In fact, the Lastikman comic book became so popular that it spawned both a theatrical movie and a TV series, both live-action!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A couple of new trailers came out today:

Wonder Woman Comic-Con Trailer

Movie release date -- 2 June 2017.

Justice League Special Comic-Con Footage

Movie release date -- 17 November 2017.

- Donald
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I notice that the Justice League trailer seemed to be missing a big red "S."

Makes me wonder if he will appear by surprise near the end of the film to save the day.
Magic is like Science,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I hope not. That is just such lazy writing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They are doing the thing that annoys me MOST with new Era superhero movies. Why bother with masks when everyone knows who you are? Even before Flash is on the team Bruce Wayne throws a Baterang at him?

These guys are worse than magicians at keeping secrets.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
I notice that the Justice League trailer seemed to be missing a big red "S."

Makes me wonder if he will appear by surprise near the end of the film to save the day.

I'm assuming that Superman isn't shown in the trailer for "Justice League" because of the way that "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" finished. (I could discuss further, but it might be spoilers for those who haven't seen the movie.)

On the other hand, if you read the info about the "Justice League" cast on IMDB, Superman/Clark Kent is listed.

Quote:
On Jul 24, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
They are doing the thing that annoys me MOST with new Era superhero movies. Why bother with masks when everyone knows who you are? Even before Flash is on the team Bruce Wayne throws a Baterang at him?

BTW, in answer to Danny's comment about Batman (and Wonder Woman) knowing the other heroes secret identities, that is also tied into the "Batman v Superman" movie storyline. (Again, I could discuss further, but it would contain spoilers from "Batman v Superman".)

I only watched the theatrical version of the movie once, and I remember this.

Did no one else watch that movie? Smile

- Donald
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I understand that is how the movie is written. I don't think it is good.

My problem to be clear is that they know who Batman is. Secret identities used to be... oh I don't know... SECRET!

Yes I watched the movie. Did you take reading comprehension classes?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:

I don't know about Donald, but I took reading comprehension. And your complaint that EVERYONE knows who they are isn't very accurate. In the case of Flash, Lex Luther seemed to have figured it out which led Batman to learn about him. Now if you're concerned that Batman is revealing HIS identity to Flash by throwing a Batarang at him, well, I would assume it might be to help gain trust since he's letting the Flash know that HE knows who he is. So yeah, SOME people know who they are, but hardly everyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..36..47..58..69..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL