The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..35..41..47..53..57~58~59 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15683 Posts

Profile of tommy
How DC can catch up with Marvel is by being more comical. The funniest line in Doctor Strange was quite funny.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I also noticed the new Marvel Studio opening where the movies are in the page flips and not the comics.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
WOW! I just got home from seeing Dr. Strange.

Wow, Cumberbatch was brilliant.

They brought the comic book to life.

Stan Lee cracked me up in this one.

Remember to stay to the very end.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I agree he was brilliant and reminded me of Harrison Ford for some reason.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
WOW! I just got home from seeing Dr. Strange.

Wow, Cumberbatch was brilliant.

They brought the comic book to life.

Stan Lee cracked me up in this one.

Remember to stay to the very end.

While I'm kind of annoyed at what I've heard of Disney dictating to Marvel what should happen in the comics! (In short, the X-Men are to be removed as titles and the characters will be phased into the Inhumans! Smile ) I do think they do a great job of adding the characters into the parks where they fit;

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:
annoyed at Disney dictating to Marvel what should happen in the comics! (In short, the X-Men are to be removed as titles and the characters will be phased into the Inhumans! Smile )

Actually I had already mentioned that about the X-Men in a previous post. So I agree with you 100%. After all, the X-Men name itself is so iconic.
(Note also that the Fantastic Four magazine itself has bit the dust.)
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
To my delight, Dr. Strange made it to the top of the box office for 2 weeks in a row.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
After seeing the Dr. Strange film, as my friend and I were relaxing in the theatre-lobby, we overheard a couple (male and female) discussing. When the male asked for the lady's opinion, she said,"Cute." The male asked,"Are you referring to Cumberbatch?", to which the lady answered,"No, I meant his Cloak." I'm guessing that the lady was referring to when the Cloak deliberately tickles Stephen on his neck.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
My daughter (17 years old) liked it so much she saw Dr. Strange twice.

She is also very sad that Disney bought Marvel. I am sad for Marvel, I think she is sad for Disney.
Magic is like Science,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19488 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And yet this movie was made.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:

She is also very sad that Disney bought Marvel. I am sad for Marvel, I think she is sad for Disney.

Now that you mention your daughter, I was wondering-- is your daughter a comics-reader OR did she like the movie without having read the magazine at all? The reason I ask is because many parents who are comics-collectors like to influence their children. But there are also some superhero-movies that also appeal to audiences who don't know comics at all.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
To answer your question Orville.... My daughter is NOT a comic book reader. She does enjoy Superhero movies, especially watching them with me. Lately she is branching out to watch them with other friends. She and I both enjoyed the often panned "Green Lantern," which we did see together in the theater.

She might have been a comic book reader, but I sold my collection when she was very young. I needed to make room for my new daughter at the time, and I guess I needed to grow up a little. (Just a little though.)
Magic is like Science,
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:

I am not sad for Marvel being owned by Disney. If you read the history of Marvel comics, it's a history of constant ownership by people who wanted nothing more than to milk the product for all it was worth. The Toy Company that owned Marvel in the 80s and 90s practically drove it into bankruptcy. While I'm not happy with Disney trying to get Marvel to cancel the X-Men titles so they can put the characters into The Inhumans (which they still own) I still think Disney owning Marvel is going to be good for the company in the long run.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26867 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
So Spiderman is Luke skywalkers great grand uncle?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2016, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
So Spiderman is Luke skywalkers great grand uncle?

I think it's the other way around. After all, Star Wars happened, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

I am not sad for Marvel being owned by Disney. If you read the history of Marvel comics, it's a history of constant ownership by people who wanted nothing more than to milk the product for all it was worth. The Toy Company that owned Marvel in the 80s and 90s practically drove it into bankruptcy. While I'm not happy with Disney trying to get Marvel to cancel the X-Men titles so they can put the characters into The Inhumans (which they still own) I still think Disney owning Marvel is going to be good for the company in the long run.

Ron Perelman is the biggest villain imo. He cared nothing about the characters or the lore; he just wanted to exploit the properties. He immediately raised not only the prices but the number of titles as well. The licensing deals he made are still affecting things.

I owned a comic store at the time. I remember how the order form grew from 4-5 pages to 30-40 pages in a matter of months. Then it became a magazine.
I had to make hundreds of decisions about how much non-returnable merchandise to order. It was a nightmare.
A lot of true believers got disgusted and stopped collecting. Even worse, a lot of people were drawn to the supposed investment value of the new books and spent ridiculous amount of money on now worthless books. Craigslist is full of people who have thousands of "80's and 90's" books.

I'm not a fan of the X-men/Inhumans direction, but I think Disney owning Marvel is a good thing, if only for the massive resources they have.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hey there Twister,

Where was your comic shop?
Magic is like Science,
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
Hey there Twister,

Where was your comic shop?

Fantasy Headquarters. Bath ave in Brooklyn N.Y.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I was in New York at that time, I was buying my books in Greenwich Village. Sorry I never came to your store.
Magic is like Science,
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
It was a cool place. Actually, it was the fulfillment of a childhood dream.

In the end I was one of those who got disgusted. I was going through a divorce at the time. I ended up walking away from tens of thousands of back issues. I sold my personal collection soon after.
If I was selling those books today I could retire tomorrow, and live like a king for a long time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..35..41..47..53..57~58~59 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL