The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12..21..30..39..45~46~47~48~49..61~62~63 [Next]
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
The writer for the mini-series will be Gail Simone. First time I've seen a Lady write for Plastic Man. Of course there was also Ramona Fradon, a lady, but she was not the writer but the artist.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Anybody see the most recent episode of Supergirl. I was rolling on the floor laughing over it. It was an amazingly blatant political message against assault weapons. I don't want to debate who was right, but it was pretty clear what side the writers were on. Does this kind of thing have a place on supposedly light-hearted "fantasy" TV?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Yeah, I'm against guns but Jons "logic" was a little specious for my taste.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well I think people are tired of being preached at and it is showing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
How many of you are or were Saturday morning superhero cartoon fans? In the late 70's or early 80's, we saw the birth of an alarming trend. My guess is that somehow money was behind this; I can't imagine any other reason. The trend was this... Instead of the episode ending with the defeat of the villain and his being jailed, or at least arrested, Now the villain always got away. Rather than being incarcerated, it was good enough for the hero to bust up the antagonists plans. This of course meant that the bad guy was back next week with a new plan.

My problem here is that the kids get a really bad message regarding the point of being good. ie. it doesn't really get you anywhere.

My guess is it was cheaper to hire one voice actor to be the villain all season, than get a series of different actors.


I see your point and your alarm that the villains don't get caught at all. But what I find even more alarming is when the hero himself can get away with felony. Look at Marvel's Punisher. He's a hero but also a one-man lynch-mob who uses lethal bullets. In fact, beginning from his very first appearance, he tried to murder by using lethal bullets and explosives on Spiderman. In the ending of course the Punisher found out that he was wrong about Spiderman, that Spiderman was innocent. Instead of just trying to apprehend a culprit, The Punisher always tries to kill. Compare that with the other heroes who always use Nonlethal methods such as Hawkeye who uses a Stun arrow.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26941 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
Yeah, I'm against guns but Jons "logic" was a little specious for my taste.


Is that character invulnerable to bullets?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
How many of you are or were Saturday morning superhero cartoon fans? In the late 70's or early 80's, we saw the birth of an alarming trend. My guess is that somehow money was behind this; I can't imagine any other reason. The trend was this... Instead of the episode ending with the defeat of the villain and his being jailed, or at least arrested, Now the villain always got away. Rather than being incarcerated, it was good enough for the hero to bust up the antagonists plans. This of course meant that the bad guy was back next week with a new plan.

My problem here is that the kids get a really bad message regarding the point of being good. ie. it doesn't really get you anywhere.

My guess is it was cheaper to hire one voice actor to be the villain all season, than get a series of different actors.


I see your point and your alarm that the villains don't get caught at all. But what I find even more alarming is when the hero himself can get away with felony. Look at Marvel's Punisher. He's a hero but also a one-man lynch-mob who uses lethal bullets. In fact, beginning from his very first appearance, he tried to murder by using lethal bullets and explosives on Spiderman. In the ending of course the Punisher found out that he was wrong about Spiderman, that Spiderman was innocent. Instead of just trying to apprehend a culprit, The Punisher always tries to kill. Compare that with the other heroes who always use Nonlethal methods such as Hawkeye who uses a Stun arrow.


Should all hero's be the same?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
People seem to have largely forgotten that Iron Man was a very strong "B" list character before the movie elevated him. Over at DC I would have compared him to Green Lantern who, except for a brief period in the early 70's when he was relevant, was also a strong "B" list hero. I guess DC tried that. They took one of their strongest B list heroes and made a movie. We all know what happened there.

I still maintain that the script for GL wasn't bad. The acting wasn't terrible either. I still blame the failure of that movie on the directing and editing.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well before all the movies the whole Marvel deal was pretty B list as a whole. The movie mania certainly helped saved the company from irrelevance.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Great to see the premiere of Incredibles #2 this past weekend was a gigantic hit at $180 million, the best animation opening ever. Also shows that the genre of superheroes is still going strong. While I don't care for animated films too much, I still enjoyed it.
Although to tell you the truth, the real reason I went was because one of my favorite superpowers is Elasticity, and one of The Incredibles has that power. So you could say I'm a Completist as far as elasticity goes.lol
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
Great to see the premiere of Incredibles #2 this past weekend was a gigantic hit at $180 million, the best animation opening ever. Also shows that the genre of superheroes is still going strong. While I don't care for animated films too much, I still enjoyed it.
Although to tell you the truth, the real reason I went was because one of my favorite superpowers is Elasticity, and one of The Incredibles has that power. So you could say I'm a Completist as far as elasticity goes.lol


I look forward to when the movie studios can make the super power of elasticity as cool looking as they've done with so many other powers. It may still be quite a while before they can do what they do in animation look as cool in live action. I believe that is the biggest stumbling block to making a good FF movie.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That and the "origin in a box" method of worrying they seem to default to.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
That and the "origin in a box" method of worrying they seem to default to.


I'm not sure what you mean by "Origin in a box". Can you explain a little more?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The Dr. Doom having to be created at the same time thing they did in the first movie.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2018, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
Great to see the premiere of Incredibles #2 this past weekend was a gigantic hit at $180 million, the best animation opening ever. Also shows that the genre of superheroes is still going strong. While I don't care for animated films too much, I still enjoyed it.
Although to tell you the truth, the real reason I went was because one of my favorite superpowers is Elasticity, and one of The Incredibles has that power. So you could say I'm a Completist as far as elasticity goes.lol


I look forward to when the movie studios can make the super power of elasticity as cool looking as they've done with so many other powers. It may still be quite a while before they can do what they do in animation look as cool in live action. I believe that is the biggest stumbling block to making a good FF movie.

Yes,agreed. In the third movie, they missed out on a good opportunity to show elasticity when Reed had to crawl through a ventilation shaft, so that segment disappointed me. I remember once from DC's Elongated Man where he had to infiltrate secretly and so slithered through a rain drainage pipe that ran all the way from the ground to the roof. So he had to make his whole body even skinnier than a snake's. Now here comes my favorite part. When he had reached the top of the drain pipe he suddenly realized he was at the wrong location so at that point his body had to double back inside the drain pipe so he had to make himself even skinnier because he was sliding back down while his other part of the body was still sliding up! So he was going both up and down at the same time. The artist depiction showed a cutaway view of the pipe's inside so the graphics were very bizarre.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
The only way to portray Mr. Fantastic and be true to the comics in my opinion, is to have him stretching almost at all times throughout the movie. In the comics, there were always everyday scenes where he is working in his lab and stretching everywhere to grab a beaker from one location in the room and push a lever in another location and stretching his neck a lot to look at something high up. Also, the action scenes that stick with me are of him wrapping himself around villains in multiple loops, (or even The Thing to try and contain him), turning himself into a parachute when falling from a height and also of having him stretched out all over the floor when hurt or knocked unconscious while stretching.

So far, in the movies, they just have him stretching once or twice in special situations. I assume it's because it's a hard special effect to portray. But I won't be satisfied with his depiction until nearly every scene needs to be realistically CGI'ed just as needs to be done with every scene with the Hulk in it.

I'm hopeful that Marvel studios will do it right. I can't think of a hero that they've introduced that they did a bad job on (except for maybe the first Incredible Hulk movie they did). Even the ones that before seeing the movie, you would think were going to be really hard to pull off. Before GOTG came out, who would have thought they'd do such a good job with Rocket and Groot?
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
It was already reported in a separate thread that writer Harlan Ellison died. But I include it here because he also wrote for some Comics such as Marvel's The Avengers and Daredevil and also DC's Justice League. And he also owned a massive Comics collection too. Much as I hate to say it, he was very abrasive and obnoxious in his interviews. But he always remained respectful of comics art in general, always emphasizing that "Sequential art" was one of America's true native arts. I believe that phrase "Sequential art" was coined by the great Will Eisner, but Ellison used it too.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
One of the problems with elasticity is it is fairly boring as a power goes.

It also takes some real imagination to make it compelling. One reason I think using it constantly is it would lose some of the thing that is supposed to make it special. Without good writing it can be tricky.

To be fair the writing at Marcel Studio now is done quite well in many instances so that is hopefully a good sign.

Reed always seemed tough to write to me. Not only his powers, but the guy. I always enjoyed the way he used his mind PLUS his powers. An example being wrapping up the Thing and so on. I always thought his greatest asset was his mind, not so much his power.

Either way no doubt a good FF movie would be great.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Anyone following the Batman wedding fiasco?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12..21..30..39..45~46~47~48~49..61~62~63 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL