The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..27..36..45..54..63~64~65 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19766 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That happens a lot more than you might imagine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Fantastic Four was the first Marvel comic I read as a kid back in the 60's and was the comic series that converted me to Marvel comics so despite the horrible reviews and expecting the worst, I decided to go see Fantastic Four myself last night. With such low expectations, I generally find the movie wasn't as bad as advertised. Well, in this case the low expectations didn't help. What a heaping pile of horse doo doo that thing was. Despite Fox having already announced a sequel, I'll be amazed if they go through with it after the load of money they're going to loose on this stinker. Just horrible, horrible, horrible.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19766 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I went today. Had a private screening. (Advantages of being able to go during the day!)

I have to say I didn't mind the movie in many ways. I had no expectations as I said I never watch trailers or read about it or anything like that.

I am not sure how many times I have to get new origin stories. That is getting odd. I understand why they do it but really wish at some point they would just say to themselves "here is the FF and here is the story". Same with any hero.

I have seen much worse movies, but I will say in comparison the entire cast from the first two did a much better job bringing the characters to life than this bunch.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
What is it with the FF that they can't get a decent film? The 90's one is understandable, it was made on a serious shoestring (One million dollars, I believe) and was only filmed so the studio wouldn't lose the option. (The cast was not told this, by the way, they had no idea they were shooting a film that was never ment to be released.)
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19766 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sort of the Marvel version of a "Superman curse" as I call it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
So, the next movie in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) is "Captain America: Civil War".

I was reading up on the movie on wikipedia, and I thought it was interesting that the character of Nick Fury doesn't appear to be listed.

He was in the other two "Captain America" movies (so I assumed he'd be in the third one), and I also recall that Samuel L. Jackson signed a contract to be in 9 of the MCU movies as Nick Fury, starting with "Iron Man" (or was the contract offered after his cameo in "Iron Man"?) And of course, he made a cameo in the TV show, "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." I wonder when he'll be back?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America:_Civil_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_L._Jackson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi......l_Comics

- Donald

P.S. There were rumors of a "Nick Fury" movie at one time, but it's not listed among the 10 movies in Phase 3 of MCU.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2015, Donald Dunphy wrote:
So, the next movie in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) is "Captain America: Civil War".

I was reading up on the movie on wikipedia, and I thought it was interesting that the character of Nick Fury doesn't appear to be listed.

He was in the other two "Captain America" movies (so I assumed he'd be in the third one), and I also recall that Samuel L. Jackson signed a contract to be in 9 of the MCU movies as Nick Fury, starting with "Iron Man" (or was the contract offered after his cameo in "Iron Man"?) And of course, he made a cameo in the TV show, "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." I wonder when he'll be back?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America:_Civil_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_L._Jackson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi......l_Comics

- Donald

P.S. There were rumors of a "Nick Fury" movie at one time, but it's not listed among the 10 movies in Phase 3 of MCU.


Curiously, Nobody mentions the version of Nick Fury starring David Hasselhoff, which I thought was quite good. With the eyepatch, he really had a striking resemblance to the depiction in the comics.
On the other hand, the 1970s film of DR. STRANGE was disappointing. Last I heard, the new cinematic version is due out in November of next year. The actor bears some resemblance to Dr. Strange, and I have high hopes for it as the state-of-the-art cgi should make possible the graphic potential of Extradimensional realms.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19766 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Remember those old Captain America movies from that time?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Remember them? I HAVE them! A double DVD set showed up at Wal-Mart and were in the $3.50 bin! I bought it along with "Dark Shadows" which I watched and then donated to the public library because my wife, massive "Dark Shadows" fan that she is, couldn't STAND the movie just from watching the trailer. I remember seeing the first one when it aired and was appalled by what they did with the source material.

I didn't see the second one, I will watch them at some point. I notice the second one is the one they use for pictures on the DVD box because it's the only one that used the correct costume. (Although they still had the shield all wrong.)
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2477 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Ed, the movies you are speaking of starred Reb Brown from the late 70's. They should have correctly been called "Son of Captian America," because that is who Reb played, Steve Rogers son. The "wrong" uniform in the first one was that Jr. was hesitant to take up dad's mantle, but eventually he does and in the second one, we see who we expect to see.

Reb did a reasonable job of acting, but that could not help that fact that the script sucked, and the whole business was a blatant rip off and an effort to capitalize on the success of "The Six Million Dollar Man," which was running strong at that time.

The one plus was Connie Selecca as the Doctor and Confidant. She was not a damsel in distress. Christopher Lee was the bad guy in the second one, and probably felt it to be the low point of his career.

I liked the music though. Wonder what Stan Lee thought of it?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2477 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
BTW, I laughed out loud every time Cap took off on his bike. He launched out his his van by firing a rocket. HA ha ha, fire a rocket inside a van.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
So, following the huge success of Daredevil, Netflix will be releasing their 2nd Marvel Superhero show on November 20th, AKA Jessica Jones.

They released a very short teaser trailer that is kinda fun.

(Danny, it's a trailer even you might like as it doesn't really give anything away.)

Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Coming up this week on CW's Flash is the appearance of Jay Garrick,the Golden-Age Flash from the 1940s.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2015, Cliffg37 wrote:
Ed, the movies you are speaking of starred Reb Brown from the late 70's. They should have correctly been called "Son of Captian America," because that is who Reb played, Steve Rogers son. The "wrong" uniform in the first one was that Jr. was hesitant to take up dad's mantle, but eventually he does and in the second one, we see who we expect to see.


There is nothing to indicate that Steve Jr. passed up on the "real" costume because he didn't think he could live up to it. It is far more likely that the producers thought; "We don't want that old costume that's been used since the '40s, we can design something much better." Then the fan response hit and they thought; "Oops!" and fixed the error.

Quote:
Reb did a reasonable job of acting, but that could not help that fact that the script sucked, and the whole business was a blatant rip off and an effort to capitalize on the success of "The Six Million Dollar Man," which was running strong at that time.


Yes. Reb DID do a fine job, everything considered, and yes, it is clear that this is just slapping "Captain America" on a weak "Six Million Dollar Man" style script and assuming no one would notice.

Quote:
The one plus was Connie Selecca as the Doctor and Confidant. She was not a damsel in distress. Christopher Lee was the bad guy in the second one, and probably felt it to be the low point of his career.


You've never seen "1942," have you? Here's a funny story. When they wrote the script for "Ghostbusters," they planned for "Gozer" to come out as an old man in a tweed suit. It was supposed to be that "Gozer" had taken up the form of "Evo Schendoor," the architect and Gozer worshiper who designed the building in the first place. When they couldn't get the actor they wanted, they re-wrote it for a woman. Christopher Lee says his agent talked him OUT of taking the "Ghostbuster" job, promising him a plum role in a Stephen Speilburg film, which turned out to be the turkey and flob "1984." Imagine that last sequence from "Ghostbuster" with Christopher Lee's voice; "Are YOU a GOD?"

Quote:
I liked the music though. Wonder what Stan Lee thought of it?


He probably thought it was terrible. He probably thought it was better than the 1990's "Captain America" movie where Cap gets frozen on his first mission and the Red Skull is Italian!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
When Ed mentioned what Stan Lee might have thought of the 70s Captain America, it made me think what Stan would have thought of the latest Fantastic Four film. After all, Stan makes cameo-appearances in most of the Marvel movies but he did Not appear in the latest FF movie. Wonder if it's because he feels as disgruntled as we do.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
In getting Jay Garrick on the CW series, I remember when fans used to say how Garrick protected his secret-identity without a mask. But it was later explained that to do so, he vibrates at such a frequency that his facial-features get blurred.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2015, Orville_Smith wrote:
When Ed mentioned what Stan Lee might have thought of the 70s Captain America, it made me think what Stan would have thought of the latest Fantastic Four film. After all, Stan makes cameo-appearances in most of the Marvel movies but he did Not appear in the latest FF movie. Wonder if it's because he feels as disgruntled as we do.


Did he make cameos in "outside" Marvel movies AFTER the MCU began?
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
A very short cameo in Amazing Spider-Man 2.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2477 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Loved his cameo in the Ben Aflack Daredevil film. I thought he was really acting there, at least facially.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I was trying to figure out which "outside" Marvel movies have been released SINCE the MCU began and was able to dig up this list: From what I can tell, he only had cameos in the two Spider-Man movies with Andrew Garfield.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: First Class
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Wolverince
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Fantastic Four

He's also had cameos in Big Hero 6 and several Marvel TV Shows, Agent Carter, Daredevil and Agents of Shield.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..27..36..45..54..63~64~65 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.89 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL