The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..32..40..48..56..62~63~64 [Next]
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2016, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Re: The Flash TV show, and the idea that Supergirl hadn't heard of The Flash (and vice versa)

These articles shed some light on some other characters from DC / the Arrowverse (TV's Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and others) exist out there, and what evidence there might be to support it.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/articl......e-cameos (Feb. 9/2016)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/articl......eo-flash (different article, also from Feb. 9/16)

Someone really did their homework.

Here's something interesting - From what I understand from what I've read, the Flash character from the 1990s TV show exists in one of the earths (see the article). So not only does John Wesley Shipp play Barry's father in the current series, but they also showed him from when he played "The Flash" / Barry Allen on TV back in the 1990s (see the article).

There seems to some kind of connection between the two series (on screen), because they had Mark Hamill reprise his Trixter role on the current Flash TV show. He's played that character in both series.

http://comicbook.com/2014/12/08/mark-ham......ickster/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/20......0665366/

- Donald

P.S. If I recall correctly, when The Flash was on Supergirl, he never did meet J'onn J'onzz (Martian Manhunter) or Superman. So, we still don't know if those characters also exist on The Flash's earth, or just on Supergirl's earth.

Thanks for the links, Donald. What really surprises me about this concept is that nowadays real-life scientists claim that Parallel universes actually exist in reality. To explain it can get quite complex, what with quantum mechanics and all, but I think the best explanation comes from the book by physicist Brian Greene. But for some reason Unexplained is why it's Impossible to cross over into a parallel universe. Of course, in science-fiction, we see the heroes traverse into those worlds all the time, but apparently Impossible in reality. Maybe somebody out there can explain.
As soon as I log off, I'll be going to see Captain America Civil War. If I know Donald, he most likely saw it last night already.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On May 6, 2016, Orville_Smith wrote:

...As soon as I log off, I'll be going to see Captain America Civil War. If I know Donald, he most likely saw it last night already...

I just saw it this afternoon. An excellent movie!!

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's not a law of physics so much as trademark and copyright which keep comic book characters in their four color universe. nit sure the many worlds interpretation, with or without branes, offers a useful distance measure between those universes. comic book continuity gets serious.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I won't throw out any spoilers here, but I just saw Captain America Civil War, and I loved it. Another movie that DC cannot top... and Remember I am a long time (1973) DC fan
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Just like Cliff, it was DC that got me into comics in the first place, specifically the Flash. And now I see that the Flash movie is in trouble because the director walked out on it. So it leaves doubts as whether there will be a Flash movie. It's getting to be too frustrating for me, so now I just focus on the Marvel franchise.

Much as I hate to abandon the Flash, I get reasonably satisfied by seeing Marvel's Quicksilver in the movies because that character has super-speed like the Flash. In other words, the use of a proxy is what relieves my frustration.

In the movies, Cyclops is a big favorite for me. And here again, I use him as a proxy. A proxy for the DC comic The Doom Patrol. The Doom Patrol were composed of characters whose superpowers made them freaks instead of heroes. That's what made them unique and bizarre. Instead of being admired, they are outcasts. The closest similarity between Doom Patrol and Cyclops is DP's Negative Man because his Unavoidable Radiation makes him a menace and through No fault of his own at all. Now you see the similarity because Cyclops' optic beam is Uncontrollable which is why he needs to wear that visor all the time. One of my favorite scenes in the 1960s issues is where Cyclops is wearing civilian clothes and therefore dark glasses instead of his visor. When a policeman becomes suspicious of him and yanks off his glasses, the optic beam shatters the cop's gun and a nearby fire-hydrant. That scene really impacted me as far as showing that he's more of a freak instead of a superhero. Where his superpower is more of a curse than a blessing. This is also my favorite example of angst as it made me feel sorry for Cyclops.

What I'm also saying is that while I realize I'll never see DC's Doom Patrol as a movie, I can at least gratify myself by enjoying Cyclops on film. (By the way, Cyke is back again in the X-men film premiering a month from now.)

Now to the Captain America Civil War movie which I of course loved. It reminded me of the time I bought an issue of Captain America during the 1960s when a particular issue's Letter-Column was even more interesting than the issue's story. The letter-column had a heated debate about Patriotism. As I vaguely recall, the story had Cap questioning his own patriotism, and so it provoked a heated debate in the letter-column about the validity of patriotism. In the current Cap Movie, we see that idea in a sense, but it's taken to a whole new level. And even on a grand scale.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don't give up on a Flash movie. In my mind Quicksilver is just not the Flash. I do see the need for a proxy though! I am also a big fan of the Flash. Hopefully it gets back on track.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Saw Civil War today. The sequels are getting better than the originals.

DC needs to dump Zach Snyder if they are ever to have a hope of making a successful film again.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Speaking of Quicksilver, I thought it was interesting that Marvel Studios had the rights to use his character in the Avengers' Universe (MCU), and that 20th Century Fox had the rights to use him in the X-Men Universe. So, there were different variations of him in "Avengers: Age of Ultron" (2015) and in "X-Men: Day of Future Past" (2014).

The one from Avengers also had a short cameo appearance at the end of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" (2014). And because that movie came out a month or two before "X-Men: Days of Future Past", that was technically the first studio to show Quicksilver on the big screen.

The version of his character from "Days of Future Past" is also going to make an appearance in the upcoming "X-Men: Apocalypse", due in part to the fact that he was a big hit in the "Days of Future Past" movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver_%28comics%29#Film

- Donald
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
What I loved about quicksilver from the DoFP film was the scene where they showed him fighting a series of prison guards. Most speedsters are shown in real time as a blur. It is a much cheaper special effect I suppose. But, showing the fight from quicksilver's point of view made me realize what it takes to fight as he does and how careful he has to be. I thought it was way cool.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On May 9, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
What I loved about quicksilver from the DoFP film was the scene where they showed him fighting a series of prison guards. Most speedsters are shown in real time as a blur. It is a much cheaper special effect I suppose. But, showing the fight from quicksilver's point of view made me realize what it takes to fight as he does and how careful he has to be. I thought it was way cool.

Regarding Quicksilver, I don't know whether we can call it plagiarism or not, but Quicksilver's perspective as seen in the movie is a "steal" from the Flash. Back in the 1960s was a Flash story in which an Alien lady, Doralla Kon, from another dimension, found herself inadvertently in our dimension. What perplexed her was that she saw all the Earth-people as immobile, stock-still. So she wondered why they were "frozen." Then she spotted the Flash and saw that he's the ONLY one that is moving. Upon the two of them meeting each other, with Flash seeing that Doralla is friendly, he explains that all those other people are actually moving, but that Doralla sees them as immobile, because of her super-speed. Flash teaches Doralla how to control her speed so that she eventually sees the other people moving "normally." So the Flash magazine was the first with that idea, and that's what I thought of immediately as soon as I saw Quicksilver in that scene you mentioned.
Was that plagiarism? Because it reminded me of that law-suit where DC Comics sued Fawcett Comics when Fawcett created Captain Marvel. It was seen by DC as plagiarism.
Maybe plagiarism is too harsh a description, but as a die-hard fan of the Flash, I see Quicksilver as an upstart. Let's face it, the Flash was/is the ORIGINAL speedster in the comics.

As far as Cliff mentioning the decision as to how super-speed is depicted on film, I have an interesting reply to that. But it comes from the 1970s TV series The Six-Million Dollar Man. When depicting cyborg,Steve Austin, running at super-speed, it was ironically shown in SLOW-MOTION. The decision to do that was interesting. You see, initially, when they tried to show the rapid speed by speeding up the film, the result was the same ridiculous effect you see from a SILENT film like the Keystone Cops. In those silent films, it's different,though, because the "speed" effect is Unavoidable due to the type of comparatively "primitive" camera that they used at that time. But in the Steve Austin series, it was AT FIRST tried deliberately, but it resulted in the same "Keystone Cops" effect. Consequently, the decision was finally made to ironically show super-speed in slow-motion.

Oh,and, Cliff, thanks for the interesting PM you sent me.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1942 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
DC sucks.

So....

Wolverine and Spiderman forever!
Imagine if they had a kid... It's Marvel, anything could happen!
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Captain America topped the box office for the second week in a row at $72 million.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2016, Orville_Smith wrote:
Surprising about the forthcoming Doctor Strange movie is that the Ancient One will be portrayed by a lady-actress. Is it going to be a Gender-Bender like those aliens in Star Trek, namely the Talosians, which are made to look Male but are actually played by Females? Or, on the other hand, will the Ancient One be shown as an actual Female? Whatever the case, I look forward to attending the premiere.

Apparently, the Ancient One is now a "Celtic female," (KELL-tic please, the SELL-tics play basketball!)

According to Doug Walker (a.k.a. The Nostaliga Critic) the reason for this is political and financial.

It's a quick reference, but apparently 18% of Marvel's total worldwide box office is China, and China, not being thrilled with Tibet right at this moment, is going to have a problem with a film that shows a Tibetian monk as the mentor/father figure of the hero.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
The reason why I enjoyed "X-men Apocalypse" is probably different than how most of you like it. Because most of you would look at the movie as a whole, but for me what made the whole film worthwhile is the part which shows Cyclops manifesting his mutation at a regular public school for the first time. Why this appealed to me so much is because of my bias that Cyclops is my favorite X-men due to his outcast status that he can not control his power. So what really surprised me was when he first encounters Jean Grey and realizes that Jean is just as much a freak as far as the danger of her telekinesis. Actually, my criticism is that I don't agree with that scene at all because it totally ruins the basic mythology of Jean Grey the way I saw her during the 1960s. Her telekinesis was always benign and even an advantage, as opposed to Cyclops' power which is a "curse."

Granted, when Jean became the Phoenix, that all changed, but here at Xavier's school during the early days, she was always benign. Admittedly,it's because I have such a bias for the Cyclops character that I felt that the film's depiction of Jean Grey ruined or undercut the "curse" of Scott's optic beam, that "curse" having always been what attracted me to Cyclops in the first place.

If I had written the script, the improvement I would have made is to show Scott's angst about his mutation, that as much as he loves Jean, that he still has to distance himself from her because he considers his optic beam as too dangerous to carry on a relationship with a woman. I would have emphasized that aloofness (and its accompanying loneliness).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This is the first time I didn't really like Jean Greay. I just don't like the actress. She almost ruins Game of Thrones for me.

Overall the series has been disappointing for me. I do not mean to say I think they are overall bad or anything of the sort. I just expect more, yet I can not say what that is. Maybe the constant fluctuations between good guy and bad guy for some of the characters drives my disappointment.

Cyclops has always seemed whiney to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On May 31, 2016, Orville_Smith wrote:
The reason why I enjoyed "X-men Apocalypse" is probably different than how most of you like it. Because most of you would look at the movie as a whole, but for me what made the whole film worthwhile is the part which shows Cyclops manifesting his mutation at a regular public school for the first time. Why this appealed to me so much is because of my bias that Cyclops is my favorite X-men due to his outcast status that he can not control his power. So what really surprised me was when he first encounters Jean Grey and realizes that Jean is just as much a freak as far as the danger of her telekinesis. Actually, my criticism is that I don't agree with that scene at all because it totally ruins the basic mythology of Jean Grey the way I saw her during the 1960s. Her telekinesis was always benign and even an advantage, as opposed to Cyclops' power which is a "curse."

I saw "X-Men: Apocalypse" last night, and enjoyed it. I thought it tied in nicely to the previous 2 movies.

The next section might contain SPOILERS to some.

You mentioned about the scene with Scott in the high school. There's also a scene in the movie "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (2009), where Scott Summers is a teen, and has an "incident" with his powers within a high school.

When I saw Jean Grey demonstrating a higher reach of her powers / being more powerful in the new movie, I took it as a parallel to what happened with her character in "X-Men: The Last Stand" (because both were the third film in those series). There were a couple of other parallels that I saw between those two films as well.

- Donald
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea with her "discovery" of her powers happening at different times it is odd. Though with timelines and such it must be tough to keep them all in line with what is happening.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
I'm a big Marvel fan... however, I don't understand why would they take such an amazing superhero like Captain America, and turned it into a ****ing hydra agent?! (In the newest comic)

AND, he was an hydra agent all along??

Oh well...

I'm sure Captain America will get back to normal some day...

DC does not have this plot twists now, does it? Smile
I shall see you on the other side.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea NOBODY has ever been Batman but Bruce Wayne. No plot twists at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I saw "X-Men: Apocalypse" the other day and I was pretty disappointed. Something about it rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't much like the start of the movie (that took place in ancient times ... it was too 'busy' for my tastes), and the CGI graphics (the 'tunneling' bit) in the opening title sequence seemed to go on forever and nearly gave me a headache. The movie certainly wasn't all bad, but I certainly did not enjoy it as much as many of the other Marvel movies.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..32..40..48..56..62~63~64 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL