The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29..35..40..45..50..55..57~58~59 [Next]
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7370 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
This is the new teaser trailer for Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2:

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Baby Groot rocks!!!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7370 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The first official trailer for "Spider-Man: Homecoming" aired on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Here's the video from their official Youtube page:

- Donald
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I've been excited for Marvel taking over Spiderman but I gotta admit, the Guardians trailer has me way more excited than the Spiderman trailer.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
To answer your question Orville.... My daughter is NOT a comic book reader. She does enjoy Superhero movies, especially watching them with me. Lately she is branching out to watch them with other friends. She and I both enjoyed the often panned "Green Lantern," which we did see together in the theater.

Much as I hate to say it, Cliff, both you and me are in the minority as far as Green Lantern. Because as often panned as the film is, I enjoyed it as much as you. What impressed me the most is the presentation of the many extraterrestrials. The only disappointment was the casting choice of Ryan Reynolds. Maybe that was what spoiled the film for many viewers. I must admit it dampened it for me. How about you, Cliff? Did you find Reynolds disappointing or acceptable?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Ryan Reynolds is not my favorite actor, but I thought he was well cast. Hal Jordan is a man (or was depending on comic continuity) who takes himself very seriously and has very little humor to him. I thought Reynolds captured that intensity well. In fact he grew into it as the film progressed.

If I want to state my opinion of what was wrong with that film, I blame the editing. The acting and special effects were very good. what's wrong with the editing? There are a couple of places where it is plain to see scenes were cut and explanation was lacking. Also there was another issue for me in that When Hal first wears the ring he unknowingly kills or at least severely injures three guys who attack him. Was there a cut scene where they pick themselves up and limp away, or were they killed?

But that is me nitpicking. I liked the film and felt that what I saw was what Green Lantern would look like if there could be such a thing. Limited by the ring wearer's imagination and what they can think of at the time.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
Ryan Reynolds is not my favorite actor, but I thought he was well cast. Hal Jordan is a man (or was depending on comic continuity) who takes himself very seriously and has very little humor to him. I thought Reynolds captured that intensity well. In fact he grew into it as the film progressed.

If I want to state my opinion of what was wrong with that film, I blame the editing. The acting and special effects were very good. what's wrong with the editing? There are a couple of places where it is plain to see scenes were cut and explanation was lacking. Also there was another issue for me in that When Hal first wears the ring he unknowingly kills or at least severely injures three guys who attack him. Was there a cut scene where they pick themselves up and limp away, or were they killed?

But that is me nitpicking. I liked the film and felt that what I saw was what Green Lantern would look like if there could be such a thing. Limited by the ring wearer's imagination and what they can think of at the time.

I've never understood all the hate for the movie, or the seeming need to over analyze comic book movies.
A certain level of suspension of disbelief is required.

I go in with the mindset that I'm going to enjoy the ride. Usually I'm not disappointed.
Granted, some of them just suck, but so do some movies in every genre. I'll take a bad comic movie over a bad romantic comedy every time.

I also think Ryan Reynolds was fine. I think a lot of the dislike comes from people who wanted a different actor and go into the movie with a bias.

Collateral damage is another area where you just have to accept and assume. As a kid I always thought the lengths they went to to show you that "everyone is ok", were ridiculous.
When the Hulk and the Abomination are throwing buses at each other in midtown Manhattan, people are going to get hurt.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
Collateral damage is another area where you just have to accept and assume. As a kid I always thought the lengths they went to to show you that "everyone is ok", were ridiculous.
When the Hulk and the Abomination are throwing buses at each other in midtown Manhattan, people are going to get hurt.

You certainly speak the truth Twister, Hence the set up for Superman vs. Batman. I guess somebody felt it was time to address that very issue. Also, DC was supposed to come out with a comedy TV show that showed an insurance company working after hero/villain fights. Don't know if it ever did happen. Might have been cute.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
OOOPS! I spoke too soon....

Today, NBC has announced their lineup for the midseason and with it comes the "Powerless" premiere date. The ensemble comedy, set in the world of the DC Universe, will premiere Thursday, February 2 at 8:30 p.m.

In the first comedy series set in the universe of DC Comics, Vanessa Hudgens (Grease Live, High School Musical) plays Emily, a spunky young insurance adjuster specializing in regular-people coverage against damage caused by the crime-fighting superheroes. It’s when she stands up to one of these larger-than-life figures (after an epic battle messes with her commute) that she accidentally becomes a cult “hero” in her own right … even if it’s just to her group of lovably quirky co-workers. Now, while she navigates her normal, everyday life against an explosive backdrop, Emily might just discover that being a hero doesn’t always require superpowers.

The Powerless show cast also includes Alan Tudyk (Firefly, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story), Danny Pudi (Community, Captain America: The Winter Soldier), Ron Funches (Undateable), Kate Micucci (Garfunkel and Oates, Steven Universe) and Christina Kirk (A To Z, Manhattan).
Magic is like Science,
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5124 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
Ron Perelman is the biggest villain imo. He cared nothing about the characters or the lore; he just wanted to exploit the properties. He immediately raised not only the prices but the number of titles as well. The licensing deals he made are still affecting things.

I owned a comic store at the time. I remember how the order form grew from 4-5 pages to 30-40 pages in a matter of months. Then it became a magazine.
I had to make hundreds of decisions about how much non-returnable merchandise to order. It was a nightmare.
A lot of true believers got disgusted and stopped collecting. Even worse, a lot of people were drawn to the supposed investment value of the new books and spent ridiculous amount of money on now worthless books. Craigslist is full of people who have thousands of "80's and 90's" books.

I'm not a fan of the X-men/Inhumans direction, but I think Disney owning Marvel is a good thing, if only for the massive resources they have.

I remember those days all too well. I was a passionate collector at the time, but for the right reasons...stories, characters, and art. And then came all the variants. An overwhelming number of limited issue releases...special this, special that...but nothing adding to the actual content. One felt some pressure to "drink the Kool-Aid" or be left behind as a collector. My weekly budget doubled and tripled until enough was enough. I lost the passion and sold the majority of my collection for a pittance. What a shame.

It was fun while it lasted though. In Cleveland I shopped at the store where Brian Michael Bendis worked. He was a student at the Cleveland Institute of Art at the time and in love with comics. I believe it was called Super City and was in the Grand Arcade. He would sell his early books there...I believe I still have some somewhere. It was a lot of fun watching the rise of the independent titles and publishers, and seeing Marvel and DC take a backseat to the young upstart companies. It seemed like a revolution in the industry...a new golden age perhaps. Then greed killed it.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19491 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When things are collectable because everyone wants one that is great. Once they try to cater to the secondary market it is not so good. Special a death of Superman covers that today are worthless.

Trying to create collectable market items prior to the market deciding they are collectable is the problem.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2016, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
Ron Perelman is the biggest villain imo. He cared nothing about the characters or the lore; he just wanted to exploit the properties. He immediately raised not only the prices but the number of titles as well. The licensing deals he made are still affecting things.

I owned a comic store at the time. I remember how the order form grew from 4-5 pages to 30-40 pages in a matter of months. Then it became a magazine.
I had to make hundreds of decisions about how much non-returnable merchandise to order. It was a nightmare.
A lot of true believers got disgusted and stopped collecting. Even worse, a lot of people were drawn to the supposed investment value of the new books and spent ridiculous amount of money on now worthless books. Craigslist is full of people who have thousands of "80's and 90's" books.

I'm not a fan of the X-men/Inhumans direction, but I think Disney owning Marvel is a good thing, if only for the massive resources they have.

I remember those days all too well. I was a passionate collector at the time, but for the right reasons...stories, characters, and art. And then came all the variants. An overwhelming number of limited issue releases...special this, special that...but nothing adding to the actual content. One felt some pressure to "drink the Kool-Aid" or be left behind as a collector. My weekly budget doubled and tripled until enough was enough. I lost the passion and sold the majority of my collection for a pittance. What a shame.

It was fun while it lasted though. In Cleveland I shopped at the store where Brian Michael Bendis worked. He was a student at the Cleveland Institute of Art at the time and in love with comics. I believe it was called Super City and was in the Grand Arcade. He would sell his early books there...I believe I still have some somewhere. It was a lot of fun watching the rise of the independent titles and publishers, and seeing Marvel and DC take a backseat to the young upstart companies. It seemed like a revolution in the industry...a new golden age perhaps. Then greed killed it.

It probably hurts as much for you to look at current Ebay and auction prices, as it does for me.

That whole time period felt like a kind of betrayal to me.
I had a rough childhood and comics were an escape for me. I liked the way the dichotomy between good and evil was so clearly defined in them, since it wasn't so clear to me in real life at the time.
One of the reasons I always wanted to open up my own shop was to create a place where people who loved the books as much as I did, could get together and argue over who was stronger - Hulk or Thor?

For a while I had it, but then the ridiculous exploitation began and it just went bad.

The ironic part is that during all of the fervor over the new books; the most profitable part of the business was ALWAYS the back issue market. Given the conditions at the time, I only hoped to break even on the new stuff, with perhaps enough margin to speculate on a few things for the future.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
When things are collectable because everyone wants one that is great. Once they try to cater to the secondary market it is not so good. Special a death of Superman covers that today are worthless.

Trying to create collectable market items prior to the market deciding they are collectable is the problem.

Exactly.

That's why I loved dealing in the back issue side of things.

I didn't really know it at the time, but it was a perfect example of pure capitalism.
Supply, demand, market price and onto the next transaction.

If the demand isn't real, all you get is a bubble.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19491 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wrote a paper in college for a marketing class about the "bigger idiot theory".

It was a simple concept. When Marvel puts out a comic, or Mattel a Barbie doll theres is a work product equation involved. They know all the costs and sell for what is necessary to profit. That makes sense.

The secondary market is a different matter. None of those factors come into play, or at least fewer of them certainly. So if you spend thousands of dollars on something with only perceived value on some level you are an idiot. What you do is hold it until you can find a bigger idiot to buy it from you. So many have even burned so badly as collectibles change like the tides. Beanie Babies, comic books, baseball and sports memorabilia, cars, coins and stamps and hundreds of other secondary markets suffer from this phenomenon.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
And "out of print" magic books that get republished.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:

You certainly speak the truth Twister, Hence the set up for Superman vs. Batman. I guess somebody felt it was time to address that very issue. Also, DC was supposed to come out with a comedy TV show that showed an insurance company working after hero/villain fights. Don't know if it ever did happen. Might have been cute.

While it was about a construction company rather than an insurance company, Marvel already mined that vein;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_Control_(comics)
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:
While it was about a construction company rather than an insurance company, Marvel already mined that vein;

Not as a TV show though. (Leaked Pilot video)

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7370 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
OOOPS! I spoke too soon....

Today, NBC has announced their lineup for the midseason and with it comes the "Powerless" premiere date. The ensemble comedy, set in the world of the DC Universe, will premiere Thursday, February 2 at 8:30 p.m.

In the first comedy series set in the universe of DC Comics, Vanessa Hudgens (Grease Live, High School Musical) plays Emily, a spunky young insurance adjuster specializing in regular-people coverage against damage caused by the crime-fighting superheroes. It’s when she stands up to one of these larger-than-life figures (after an epic battle messes with her commute) that she accidentally becomes a cult “hero” in her own right … even if it’s just to her group of lovably quirky co-workers. Now, while she navigates her normal, everyday life against an explosive backdrop, Emily might just discover that being a hero doesn’t always require superpowers.

The Powerless show cast also includes Alan Tudyk (Firefly, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story), Danny Pudi (Community, Captain America: The Winter Soldier), Ron Funches (Undateable), Kate Micucci (Garfunkel and Oates, Steven Universe) and Christina Kirk (A To Z, Manhattan).

Here's the wikipedia entry for the show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerless_(TV_series)

- Donald
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Doesn't that "Powerless" series remind you of that DC magazine "The Inferior Five"? That was published during the 1960s, and I remember one of my classmates had that comic. He was the same classmate who used to buy "Mad" Magazine all the time. I did not care for "The Inferior Five" at all, but I remember him letting me borrow his "Mad" Magazine and still remember my favorite Mad parody was the one about Plastic Man. In the parody, he was called Plastic Sam.

(As an interesting aside, that classmate was the only one besides me who was into Magic at that time. His name was Jay, and he was nice enough to let me borrow his magic book, which I still recall, was written by a Will Dexter. Other than that writer's name, I don't recall the book's title, except two tricks which were producing smoke from a bare hand and I think it was the Chinese Wands where a cord that is strung through both sticks is cut and magically restored. That was during the 1960s, so I don't know if anyone has a copy of that book nowadays.)
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
How many people actually remember The Inferior Five? I actually owned the comic. I have forgotten how many there were, but it was one of those obscure titles that appealed to me. And let's face it, to a 12, 13 or 14 year old boy, Dumb Bunny was hot!

I believe that was the book where the bad guy tells his henchman, who finally did something right, "I would Kiss you if only you shaved more often." and gets the response, "That is a very good reason not to shave."
Magic is like Science,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29..35..40..45..50..55..57~58~59 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL