The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..33~34~35~36~37..42..46..50..54..57~58~59 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19520 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm not that enthralled with the whole "Rebirth" thing. It is better than "The New 52" but really is not great yet.

On my way to Spiderman Homecoming.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19520 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I really liked Homecoming. But once again I really like when secret identities were, oh I don't know, SECRET.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, hollywoo wrote:
At present, DC has much better comics than Marvel, Marvel has much better movies, and both have hit-or-miss TV.

I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet. It might put DC back in the running movies-wise. Which I'd like, as I'm a huge DC fan.

Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, AceOfJokers wrote:
I have a Superhero 'anagram tree' routine that all kids and most adults love. It uses both DC and Marvel characters.

That sounds awesome! I actually came upon this thread searching "comic books" to see if there were any comic-related effects. Been thinking about presenting some tricks, but with the gimmick being that I've been trying to develop the superpowers of various heroes but with limited success. Super Man's x-ray vision allowing me to see through a closed box to tell what someone's card is (or, perhaps more powerfully, a mentalism effect where I can "see" what they drew on a paper in an envelope). Spider-Man's ability to stick to things. Maybe mild telekinesis with a levitation effect, and so on. That'll be a bit down the line, though. Still very early in the learning process right now.

As far as a magical adaptation of Spiderman's ability to stick to things, there was a gimmick sold in the old 1960s Vick Lawston catalog called Suspenso where objects such as pencils could be made to "stick" to the palm of your hand. While we're at it,I still have a copy of that 1960s catalog, and wonder if anyone else does or at least remembers that catalog.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
On a sad note Joan Lee died two days ago. Stan always said she was his rock.
They were married for 69 years!!

In fact she was the one who encouraged him to write the story HE wanted to write. He wrote Amazing Fantasy 15 and the rest is history. He was on the verge of quitting comics. Good thing for all of us she was there.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15710 Posts

Profile of tommy
On a happy note, DC can catch up with Marvel by supplying Marvel superheroes with marijuana. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2681 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, Orville Smith wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, hollywoo wrote:
At present, DC has much better comics than Marvel, Marvel has much better movies, and both have hit-or-miss TV.

I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet. It might put DC back in the running movies-wise. Which I'd like, as I'm a huge DC fan.

Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, AceOfJokers wrote:
I have a Superhero 'anagram tree' routine that all kids and most adults love. It uses both DC and Marvel characters.

That sounds awesome! I actually came upon this thread searching "comic books" to see if there were any comic-related effects. Been thinking about presenting some tricks, but with the gimmick being that I've been trying to develop the superpowers of various heroes but with limited success. Super Man's x-ray vision allowing me to see through a closed box to tell what someone's card is (or, perhaps more powerfully, a mentalism effect where I can "see" what they drew on a paper in an envelope). Spider-Man's ability to stick to things. Maybe mild telekinesis with a levitation effect, and so on. That'll be a bit down the line, though. Still very early in the learning process right now.

As far as a magical adaptation of Spiderman's ability to stick to things, there was a gimmick sold in the old 1960s Vick Lawston catalog called Suspenso where objects such as pencils could be made to "stick" to the palm of your hand. While we're at it,I still have a copy of that 1960s catalog, and wonder if anyone else does or at least remembers that catalog.

I remember Vic Lawson and his monkey, Pumpernickle! I ordered a few things from him and got some odd free throw ins along with the order.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15710 Posts

Profile of tommy
Has no one mentioned Jim Steranko in this thread yet?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
What about him Tommy? I love the guy because aside from being a fine creator of comic books the man was also legitimately an escape artist.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15710 Posts

Profile of tommy
I just thought it odd that after all this time a bunch of magicians of all people, talking on this subject had not yet mentioned Jim Steranko.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Jim Steranko
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19520 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Done and done.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15710 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Spider-man homecoming.... Another winner for Marvel.

Aunt May's last line in the film may or may not have been designed to get a laugh, but it got a big one in that theater. I thought the line was very appropriate for the situation and not all that funny. My daughter and the rest of the audience did not agree with me.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I guess I'm in the minority but I was a bit disappointed by Spider-man. Maybe it's because they want to show him grow as a super hero but Spider-man was truly the most incompetent super hero I've ever seen portrayed in the Marvel universe. He caused so much unnecessary damage to everything around him, was almost completely inept at catching any villains, and gave away his secret identity 3 times in one movie. Also, if this is supposed to be immediately after Captain America Civil War with Tony Stark as the big policeman of the Sokovia accords, why does he allow Spider-man to run around fighting crime without getting approval from the appropriate govt agency every time he decides to suit up?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19520 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is his "origin" in a way. They have regressed him since he came back to Sony obviously.

At his origin Spidey was pretty inept. But I never thought of the "overall" in the world issues you mentioned. Makes sense. That is the problem with one universe I guess.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

At his origin Spidey was pretty inept.

Was he? I guess I don't remember that.

While they have 'regressed' him, they've also super-sized him. He sure never had a super spidey suit that was as smart as Iron Mans armor. (At least not starting out).
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
The other day I went to my physician for my annual checkup. As soon as I entered, the first thing I noticed was that the Receptionist's desk had a figurine of Baby Groot.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19520 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2017, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

At his origin Spidey was pretty inept.

Was he? I guess I don't remember that.

While they have 'regressed' him, they've also super-sized him. He sure never had a super spidey suit that was as smart as Iron Mans armor. (At least not starting out).

Sure almost all of them were in one way or another. Don't forget he is just a kid.

And yes the suit thing bothers me too.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1605 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Marvel js going all in with he new movie, Regrettably, all in includes Guardians of the Galaxy, count me out.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2017, Cliffg37 wrote:
Later it was revealed that Pratt gained super strength form being exposed to various radiations over the years.

Thanks,I did not know that about the Al Pratt Atom. But I remember once about a switcheroo between Batman and Superman where Superman lost his powers because they got transferred into Batman. As a result,Batman got superpowers although only temporarily.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..33~34~35~36~37..42..46..50..54..57~58~59 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL