The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..43~44~45~46~47..54..60..66..72..78..79~80~81 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2018, Donald Dunphy wrote:
"Avengers: Infinity War" (aka Avengers 3) is going to be released in a week now. I predict that we'll get an announcement for the title of Avengers 4 at the end of Avengers 3. They've been keeping it under wraps, ever since they made the announcement that Avengers 3 and 4 wouldn't be called "Infinity War, Parts 1 and 2".

I kinda think they'll hold off a little longer but that would be a good time to announce it.

My prediction is that Captain Marvel will make an appearance of some sort in one of the post credits scenes.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2018, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2018, Donald Dunphy wrote:
"Avengers: Infinity War" (aka Avengers 3) is going to be released in a week now. I predict that we'll get an announcement for the title of Avengers 4 at the end of Avengers 3. They've been keeping it under wraps, ever since they made the announcement that Avengers 3 and 4 wouldn't be called "Infinity War, Parts 1 and 2".

I kinda think they'll hold off a little longer but that would be a good time to announce it.

My prediction is that Captain Marvel will make an appearance of some sort in one of the post credits scenes.

I am old enough to see that last line and think; “Why would Billy Bateson be in a Marvel movie?” Then I remember.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here's something that will add more confusion to the mix:

"Captain Marvel" (movie about the Marvel Comics character) is scheduled to be released March 8, 2019

and

"Shazam!" (movie about the DC Comics character) is scheduled to be released April 5, 2019

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-captain-marv......51423862

"Obviously, you’re a Captain Marvel/Shazam fan, and I understand your consternation that a Marvel Comics character has absconded with the name of another hero who’s been around for 80 years. But here’s the main problem: Everyone else knows him as Shazam. Okay, there is a certain portion of comics fans — I would say way less than half, of which you are clearly one — that feels like Billy Batson is the One True Captain Marvel, but the rest of the general populace literally thinks the character’s name is Shazam anyways.

It’s all because of the rights issues, and mainly because how Marvel Comics has the rights to the name Captain Marvel. Fawcett, publishers of the original Captain Marvel/Shazam comics, stopped making them in the ‘50s. In the ‘60s, Marvel Comics trademarked the name Captain Marvel for their own Kree alien superhero, which meant when DC licensed the Fawcett characters in 1972, they had the Fawcett character named Captain Marvel, but couldn’t call the comic Captain Marvel, so they used his transformation cry “Shazam!” for the title."
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hmm, speaking of copyright issues, I often say "Shazam!" for a magic word when I perform. I hope DC doesn't try to sue me.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Cliff - I don’t think you have a problem, previous use; Gomer Pyle used to say “Shazam” when surprised. Also there was a gag in “The Monkees;”

PETER (tied to a chair, works himself over to a mirror and says); SHAZAM!
Flash of lightening, crash of thunder, and the mirror gets shattered!
PETER; Oh well, seven more years bad luck for Captain Marvel!

I was aware of the whole rights issue. I understood naming the title “Shazam.” Naming the CHARACTER “Shazam” is problematic as “Shazam” was supposed to be the names of the wizard that gave Billy his powers!

And how does this effect the rest of the Marvel family? Do we now have Mary Shazam, Shazam Jr. and Uncle Shazam with his “Shazambago?” (I’m not making him up. An old con man passed himself off as “Uncle Dudley,” he had a hand-made Marvel suit and break away clothing. He would “change” during the flash from their changing. They didn’t buy it for a second, but he was so charming, they let him think it was working.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Even Captain America had plagiarism problems and was threatened with a lawsuit. Because Captain America debuted several months after another superhero called The Shield a patriotic superhero published by MLJ Company. At that time Captain America's shield had a triangular shape which uncomfortably resembled that of The Shield superhero. That was the basis of the lawsuit. So Simon and Kirby had to change Captain America's shield from triangular to circular, the one we see today.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
DC keeps hinting at doing something with Kirby's New Gods characters. Marvel... has an opportunity with "Marvelman". Shazam! - or Kimota! we'll see.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Of the Simon and Kirby team, many fans mistakenly think the artwork was done by Kirby only. But sometimes Joe Simon had a hand in the art. Because it was Simon who designed Cap's shield originally as triangular-shaped. But Kirby did not like it at all. So actually you could say that the lawsuit backfired on MLJ publishers because Kirby's circular shape makes much more sense aerodynamically when Captain America throws it like a returning boomerang.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

DC also missed some opportunities to use the Siegel/Shuster background art from early Superman comics showing skies. Going gritty with Byrne's Krypton... meh.
Interesting how DC has yet to explore Etrigan or The Specter and Marvel has not tapped The Celestials. The CGI has been available since Avatar and the Lord of the Rings movies. Jason Blood makes a more interesting tortured hero than what they've done with Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent so far.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
How many of you are or were Saturday morning superhero cartoon fans? In the late 70's or early 80's, we saw the birth of an alarming trend. My guess is that somehow money was behind this; I can't imagine any other reason. The trend was this... Instead of the episode ending with the defeat of the villain and his being jailed, or at least arrested, Now the villain always got away. Rather than being incarcerated, it was good enough for the hero to bust up the antagonists plans. This of course meant that the bad guy was back next week with a new plan.

My problem here is that the kids get a really bad message regarding the point of being good. ie. it doesn't really get you anywhere.

My guess is it was cheaper to hire one voice actor to be the villain all season, than get a series of different actors.

And who was the genius who decided that Salomon Grundy should speak in an angry southern accent?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wasn't he from a Louisiana swamp?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 26, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
...ie. it doesn't really get you anywhere...

It's supposed to be safe/escapism. Somehow it just wouldn't be the same if the hero "re-educated" the villain and we had superpowered tales of reform.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
By Golly, 30 heroes in The Infinity War. Even George Lucas will envy.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

How's the movie?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It was an interesting way to do the movie.

A blonde Black Widow was odd for me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
The movie was fantastic.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
...ie. it doesn't really get you anywhere...

It's supposed to be safe/escapism. Somehow it just wouldn't be the same if the hero "re-educated" the villain and we had superpowered tales of reform.

As far as your point about reform and rehabilitation,Detective Comics tried it with Two-Face when he was first introduced. In his very first appearance, the story concluded with him getting rehabilitated. But then the editor felt it was too good of an idea to use only once, so a few years later,Two-Face returned. But at first, Two-Face was intended to be rehabilitated permanently.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

The Joker's Harley Quinn is a reverse of that theme.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Maybe we need to put this thread to rest because based on the OP, the answer is most definitely never.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2412242......icipated

"Avengers: Infinity War has handily overtaken Justice League, grossing more at the domestic box office in one weekend than the first-ever DCEU team-up film grossed in its entire domestic box office run. As of right now, Avengers: Infinity War is sitting with $641 million globally (with more international premieres in places like China still to come), and it's in a position to keep toppling records as it continues its rollout."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..43~44~45~46~47..54..60..66..72..78..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL