The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind's Radio Sum Total (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Can someone please explain the effect to me?
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6321 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
You can also find a version of it in Stunners. Basically, the audience makes up a large six digit number, and you show that you had several numbers from the beginning that totaled the audience's numbers.

I did a version of it in my show.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
espresto
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of espresto
Greg, I am curious. Did you perform the effect according to Stunners Plus, or did you perform it according to Becker's Standing Ovation Video? It's the same methodology but slightly different in execution.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
709 Posts

Profile of chappy
I use a presentation that combines this basic idea with several other principles that create a really startling moment for the participant when the prediction is revealed. I've shared the presentation with several performers including Banachek and Greg Arce here at the Café. This is a clever principle, and creating a worthy presentation, as is often the case, is the difficult part.

Greg.
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I am trying to figure out what number to put in when the spec calls a zero. If the magician always substracts 1 number from the spec. number, than what is a zero minus one? I tried 9 but the Radio Sum Total does not add up. Please help.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Evolve
You can say that zero is not really a number, but an abstract, and ask for another number, a tangible number between 1 and 9.

Tony
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2004-01-31 03:10, espresto wrote:
Greg, I am curious. Did you perform the effect according to Stunners Plus, or did you perform it according to Becker's Standing Ovation Video? It's the same methodology but slightly different in execution.

Greg performed HIS VERSION of Sum Total (AWE-SOME TOTAL) which is different from the other two versions and, if truth has to be told, with his version Greg has even fried magicians!

You can find his AWE-SOME TOTAL routine in his SIMPLE MINDED book.

You can check at: http://www.freestylebooktest.com/cashout
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2006-03-19 18:00, TonyEye wrote:
Evolve
You can say that zero is not really a number, but an abstract, and ask for another number, a tangible number between 1 and 9.

Tony

Thanks alot, TonyEye. I very much appreciated your help!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
707 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On 2006-03-19 18:00, TonyEye wrote:
Evolve

Tony

Hi all, I am not familiar with the "radio" version. But I have performed this effect at least 10 times over the years with audiences ranging in size from 25 to 175 and I have never had trouble calling for the numbers as Larry suggests. Would I do this effect for 5 or 10 people? No. Is thsi a great straight forward effect? YES!
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I would prefer to use the psychology cited in the other listing of this same topic to avoid the zero problem, rather that saying that zero is not a number. That is, emphasizing the acceptable digits, 1,2,3,...9. (Zero is definitely a number.)

Saying that zero is not a number might cause a problem with mathematicians in the audience. They will cite the Peano Postulates that are the theoretical generators for the integers: 0,1,2,3,4,... etc. It is better to avoid such a distraction if you can.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
665 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Zero is not a positive number.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5806 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
If you fixate on zero, your audience will too. In this routine if you have to tell someone to pick another number, and they are the least bit analytical, they will rightly guess what you are up to.
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Depending on the presentation you could have your audience call out the month they were born in instead of digits, then use January = 1, Feb = 2 etc. That way you avoid any zeros and of course you don't need to stipulate ahead of time how many you'll be asking for!
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
Um... what about October?

Chris
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
You might be over-thinking things. Just say, 'give me a number between 1 and 9' and move on. It shouldn't be a problem unless you make it a problem.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I ama firm believer in the old addage, "don't run if your not being chased". I try to use thi in all my material. I think this is applicable here, I agree, we are over thinking this.
xxx
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
476 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Chris, I did forget about that rather prominent zero in October! Doubtless there are ways to handle it cleanly depending on which months have already been called but it some situations in could be tricky.
MOJave
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MOJave
Although I have a mathematics degree, I cannot be bothered to check if this works as I havent performed it for some time. However, if they call out zero, I think you can put down a 9 and then subtract two from the next number rather than 1. It makes sense in my head, don't know if it works on paper.

Test it and let me know if I'm right, or if I have 10 mins to procrastinate over then I might do it myself Smile Hope it works for you.

Ohh and if they call out zero for the last number then you are screwed Smile.
Honestly though however if you say name a number betweeen one and ten and they say zero, you have a pretty good joke to make (without making them feel stupid) and then say try again. Smile

Christopher Bisset
Be Entertained...
www.christopherbisset.com.au
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind's Radio Sum Total (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL