The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » California (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Here is a serious answer if your question was a serious one. California has several high ranking Universities; both in teaching and in research. Contact them in writing and ask if they have a position available suitable to your needs. Many places now do interviews by skype or other such long range processes. This may profit you nothing, but it will cost very little too. If one in interested, you can often haggle for status. (You wouldn't walk in the door full tenured, but you might achieve it soon than normal based on your present position.)

Good luck.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
I hate to be a downer but it is really hard to reinvent yourself after 50. In your early 40's, you can still change careers and be somewhat successful at it, but after 50, your chances are much less likely. Plus California is *** expensive, especially in the San Diego area. A new wife, a new career, a new place to live....all tough by themselves. Add them together, and I wouldn't want to be the person doing it. And giving up tenure to do it? almost insane. Plus, I know it doesn't feel like it now, but after 60, you are physically on the decline and you will not have the drive or energy that you once had. There comes a point where you yearn for less in your life: less stress, less stuff, less work, less aggravation. If California is in your future, plan for retirement there. But you only have a few short years to sock away money for your retirement. This is a time when you should be nurturing what you've built so far, not starting over from scratch.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
"I never should have followed my dreams - I quit my steady gig to fulfill my potential. Instead I went broke, and got fired from a job in doggie daycare."

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/01/i_never_......_dreams/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
Yikes, balducci, that is a depressing story but one that is all too common. key to reinvention is having a strong network you can rely on. And key to reinvention is to not go too far from where you are. You work in baby steps from where you are to where you want to be. You also don't leap unless forced to do so. The best way is to have the next thing lined up before leaping. Plus you REALLY need to be a hustler
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The question was indeed serious, but sobriety kicked in.

As I said: I myself would take risks. I have before. (There is a reason I left Pennsylvania.) But there are four children involved. And yes, I'm over 50. A restart isn't really in the cards.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Just curious, but how many years do people generally work at your institution in order to earn a good pension? The little in English I could find at the site seemed to indicate that faculty are civil servants and get a government pension? Is that right?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
It's complicated. I get a government pension, but I didn't get this particular job until five years ago. So when I retire--which currently means at 67--I will have paid less into the system than most people. I'll get money, but not enough to live on.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I heard people in Europe get good vacation time.

You might consider a house trade with someone in California.

San Diego is lovely and offers many choices in driving distance, (very expensive to really live there).

I'm glad you aren't breaking up your family but it is fun and healthy to dream.

Congratulations on your new Marriage.

-Mary Mowder
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Mary,

it's a good idea to swap houses for a while. The problem is that while we get long vacation times, my son lives in Lower Saxony and my step-chldren live in Hamburg, and the vacation times are not simultaneous.

But we'll get along without moving. It was a beautiful dream for a couple of days.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I've traveled to few places where I didn't get a passing "I could be very happy living here" running through me.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
But while we're thinking of California

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, Salguod Nairb wrote:

I have never liked that song.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I've traveled to few places where I didn't get a passing "I could be very happy living here" running through me.

That is EXACTLY what happened to us. We are not only happy, but freaking out with happiness. So the fantasy began with the question: what would you do if you won the lottery and could do anything. And the answer was that we would live in Sebastopol California,

But we didn't win the lottery.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If *I* win the lottery, I'll hire you to live in Southern California and philosophize with me one night each month at 150% of your current salary.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Lobo, you rock.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Http://youtu.be/YlUKcNNmywk
The title track to possibly the best rock album ever, top to bottom.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, Tom Cutts wrote:
Yay, 'cuz we don't need another outsider coming here calling it Cali!

Yay, let's get rid of the "White Latinos" whilst we are at it as well!
Basically, Stoney stay out and Devious Get out!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
I was born in California. I also like visiting California. I just got married in Californa. Now my new wife also likes California. A lot.

We've spent the last three days fantasizing about moving to California.

I have it worse than you stone, I don't even HAVE a tenured position to worry about but I also don't have a degree in anything that might be usable in California.

But one more New England winter and by God I am seriously thinking about it.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, Salguod Nairb wrote:

I have never liked that song.

Rightfully so. Especially when you realize that it's pretty much true to life.
I like the song. But I don't like the character singing it.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2014, Devious wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, Tom Cutts wrote:
Yay, 'cuz we don't need another outsider coming here calling it Cali!

Yay, let's get rid of the "White Latinos" whilst we are at it as well!
Basically, Stoney stay out and Devious Get out!

I remember doing a musical in New York. At one point, we were rehearsing at Columbia University, way uptown. In the men's room, the stalls were covered in graffiti from "light" Latinos and "dark" Latinos ragging on each other!
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » California (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL