The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Brilliant Switch Box - by PVL (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10527 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I've never owned one of these as for me these types of units seem like a fun curiosity of a puzzle.

Alakazam is taking pre-orders for this new unit and this seems to add some new twists to this classic concept.

I like the clarity stle lucite box, and the colored plastic caps & covers look utterly ordinary.

Personally I'm not sure about taking the batteries out as part of the "lets take this this one step further," as to me that makes the unit scream that it is a gimmicked magic apparatus rather than something more mysterious, but barring that over the top possibility - this does look like a cool conversation piece.

I've never owned one of these, and this probably isn't for me but this is probably appealing to those into this type of effect. Here is the ad copy...

http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-PVL-PR......BOX.html

This is not just a Magic Switch Box, its a BRILLIANT switch box! It goes way beyond the standard switch boxes.

The effect:

4 colored switches match 4 colored LED’s. Yet, the spectator is asked to mix up the colored covers and put them any where on the Switch Box. By magic the blue switch still operates the blue LED, the red operates the red, etc!

Now both the LED covers and the switch covers are mixed, and yet, the blue switch still operates the blue LED, the red operates the red!

Then the magician removes one colored cap from one LED (blue for example). Now all of a sudden, when the blue switch is turned on, NOTHING happens!!

Then, from (for example) the yellow switch, the cap is removed. Now, the (former) yellow switch (which is now colorless) operates the colorless LED !!!

When the magician removes another LED cap, the colorless switch now operates BOTH COLORLESS LED’s!!

It must be magic.

But, wait, maybe there is something wrong with the batteries and the magican removes the batteries, but… the LED’s still burn !!

Then all colored caps are removed and if the colorless switch is turned on, now ALL FOUR LED’s goes on…

Finally, the magician removes all caps from the switches and everything is back to normal. Switch 1 operates LED 1, switch 2 operates LED 2, etc.

And the batteries are still out and… the box is completely TRANSPARENT, so everybody can see right through and nothing is hidden…

A brilliant piece of magic invented by Dutch magician Piet van Luijt (PvL)
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1757 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
As you say it's more of a puzzle than a magic trick

However if you order direct from the creator

http://www.magicfromholland.com/pvl-brilliant-switch-box/

It works out at GBP235.00 with free worldwide shipping

Instead of the GBP299.00 that Alakazam is charging ! Also
It's in stock so no need to pre order !
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
A fun toy, perhaps, but magic? Come on.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9640 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Too bad it wasn't bigger like the size of a brick or shoebox. To me what would've been great is once the colored square light cover(s) were removed and set on the table next to it, if they would still light up when the switch was flicked (while sitting on the table. Now that would be magic.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1629 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
To me, this version with the contemporary look and the box shape seems like it could contain a lot of modern trickery.

The older version, a flat board with switches that looks like something from Thos. Edison's lab, at least appears to be from an earlier era -- electrical, but not electronic.

I've seen magicians present that one and get a big response (although it definitely isn't an effect I'd use).

Cheers,
Jerry
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
235 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
It has a few nice extra touches, but to me, the old fashioned style is nicer.
I have the Wellington version, and sits perfectly on my coffee table.
It's a conversation piece when anyone comes round, and really fun to perform.
Magic? No. But definitely fun, mysterious and puzzling.
vanluijt
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of vanluijt
I have made this version, because there is an internet version of a complete visible box, with a lot of enthusiast viewers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw9MGa7iQq4
That box was not moveable, it was not for sale. But it inspired me to make something like that box.

The Brilliant Switchbox is more than the old wouden (Wellington) version. However I saw that version 20 years ago in Las Vegas and that was amazing!
There are some big differences.

1. It has a size that is ideal for table magic, Easy to carry, looks like a brilliant and is interactive withe the spectator.
2. It is solid, everything is visible.
3. The spectator may inspect the box before and after the "show".
4. What was not seen on the video, was the fact that at some point the box can be turned to the spectator and from that moment the spectator turns the switches on and off.
5. The batteries in the bottom have no sense. Mostly I don't have batteries in the box at all. At the end of the performens I sometime show this empty battery box.
I think this don't need so much attention as in the video.

Performing this, gives a lot of nice discussions. Ask what you expect by removing the caps. Man and woman will give different answers. But I think you already know that.

Cheers
Piet van Luijt
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I think you have to evaluate this for what it is, not what you'd like it to be. I could see myself visiting a senior center with this and providing some real entertainment for the folks there. I kinda like it. When will it be available?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3539 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I agree with several of the posts above. I have an old wooden switchbox that I think is much more convincing as a magic prop. I don't think this one was well thought out. First, being able to remove the battery and it still works detracts from the magic, it doesn't add to the magic. Second, the modern looking box also detracts from the magic.

My old wooden switchboard looks like nothing more than switches, a battery, and lights. I "aged" the wood even more, making it look like something that has been around for decades. My character is that of a world traveler who has picked up some interesting skills and interesting things along the way. My routine for the switchboard is about "my uncle" who was an electrician at a military base in area 51. He shut down a facility there and brought home this switchbox to use for his model train set. He used the colors to designate several different trains in his large model train set. The patter is about how everyone thought my uncle was crazy when he talked about the "haunted" switchbox. I was the only one who believed him,... and now you can decide for yourself..

The routine is very entertaining and the premise is compelling. IMO, IT ONLY WORKS because it seems old, like something that may have come out of my uncle's basement.

Jaizon, if you are thinking of using this in a senior center, you may want to check out some of the old-fashioned looking wooden ones. I think some of the senior citizens there, perhaps war vets might get a bigger kick out of a more nostalgic story from the past. Feel free to use my idea above if you like. However, I personally wouldn't do that routine with a modern looking switchbox.

KJ
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10527 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Well I commend Piet and thank him for his new creation and offering an updated modern version of this classic to the magic community.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2014, 1KJ wrote:
I agree with several of the posts above. I have an old wooden switchbox that I think is much more convincing as a magic prop. I don't think this one was well thought out. First, being able to remove the battery and it still works detracts from the magic, it doesn't add to the magic. Second, the modern looking box also detracts from the magic.

My old wooden switchboard looks like nothing more than switches, a battery, and lights. I "aged" the wood even more, making it look like something that has been around for decades. My character is that of a world traveler who has picked up some interesting skills and interesting things along the way. My routine for the switchboard is about "my uncle" who was an electrician at a military base in area 51. He shut down a facility there and brought home this switchbox to use for his model train set. He used the colors to designate several different trains in his large model train set. The patter is about how everyone thought my uncle was crazy when he talked about the "haunted" switchbox. I was the only one who believed him,... and now you can decide for yourself..

The routine is very entertaining and the premise is compelling. IMO, IT ONLY WORKS because it seems old, like something that may have come out of my uncle's basement.

Jaizon, if you are thinking of using this in a senior center, you may want to check out some of the old-fashioned looking wooden ones. I think some of the senior citizens there, perhaps war vets might get a bigger kick out of a more nostalgic story from the past. Feel free to use my idea above if you like. However, I personally wouldn't do that routine with a modern looking switchbox.

KJ

KJ, can you make a recommendation? Thanks.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3539 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Jaizon,

I purchased mine from Canada. It's called "Magic Switchbox". Here is the website link: http://magicswitchbox.wix.com/magicswitchbox

I see that it is currently priced at $130.

Every magic box will have different features. I do a pretty basic routine with mine. I can change the bulbs and the switches will follow. I can also hand it to the participant and it is just a "dumb" switchbox. My box can do much more complex stuff, I just don't use all the features.

I am very happy with it.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3539 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
BTW, my posts about an older looking box being better is just based, obviously, on my opinion and my way of presenting it. I'm sure many could come up with routines that would be better suited for a more modern looking box.

I do commend the maker of this. These are not easy to make. Probably one of the hardest props to make.

KJ
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10527 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I agree that the older look may be preferable, but if I worked at a silicon valley type company - I would want this style on my desk.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
512 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Several posters in this thread suggested that they didn’t like the clear format of the trick. As I looked over the Magic of Holland web site I discovered that they have a wooden version of the trick.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I did not find the wood one on the site from Holland, but did find a wood switchbox on the link listed above. It is much cheaper than the BSB, but has less in the way of features. Still, I like the idea of being able to distress the wood to give it a much older look.

In any case I have ordered the one from Holland, and hope to post a review in a few weeks. There is a explanatory video which you get access to after the purchase. It is quite good and covers the basics of the whole routine.
Arsenal
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
81 Posts

Profile of Arsenal
Here is link of the wooden version from Magic Holland
http://www.magicshop.nl/magic-switch-board

It's slightly cheaper than the clear version.

Here is the introduction video of the wooden switchboard (at 6:27)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC9wbVbspOY
vanluijt
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of vanluijt
The comparison between the wooden switchboard and the Brilliant Switchbox is not so easy.
The BSB is a total performance and not only a repetition of some mysterious changes.
The fact that the spectator may handle the switches gives often hilarious moments.
So, the products are more different than it seems.
The best way to assess this product is to look at the vblog of Alakazam.
Especially the commentary for the demonstration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......aikieyoA
(after 10 min.)
I'm curious about the opinion of the first purchaser in this Café
PVL
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Piet, I should have it in 2 weeks and will give an honest assessment.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5116 Posts

Profile of Amirá
£ 299.99 :o

Wow... Im interested in your feedback jaizon

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Brilliant Switch Box - by PVL (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL