We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 100 Best Novels, in Translation, Since 1900 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5042 Posts

Profile of landmark
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Well that lengthens by "to-read" list by about 70 titles.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why, what's wrong with the other 30?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, tommy wrote:
Why, what's wrong with the other 30?

LOL
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
64. Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse [German] 1927

Didn't know they wrote a book but sure loved their music!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2014, rockwall wrote:
64. Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse [German] 1927

Didn't know they wrote a book but sure loved their music!

You like some band called Herman Hesse?

If you meant Steppenwolf, evidently you didn't like them enough ... at least not enough to know what they named themselves after.

Smile

"The name change ... to Steppenwolf was suggested to John Kay by Gabriel Mekler, being inspired by Hermann Hesse's novel of the same name."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm surprised how few of the novels I have read. Apparently the list was made by someone with less than perfect taste.

:insertsmileyofyourchoice:
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5042 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
I'm surprised how few of the novels I have read.
Me too. I mean about me, not you. <10. Since they only allow one title per author, I found many authors whose books I've read, but not that particular title.

But I'm still trying to catch up on English. I used to read a lot of fiction when I was younger, not so much in the last twenty years or so; now, I find I'm back to fiction again and enjoying it.

That would be an interesting thread--our reading biographies. For the last twenty years, I find I've read in spurts--maybe six months of intensive book reading, and then it could be another six months before I even look at a book again.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1223 Posts

Profile of imgic
The Twilight Series wasn't included...obviously they don't have a clue as to what constitutes great literature.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
I read about 11 or 12. Steppenwolf was the first book I ever read in one sitting, but my favorite Hesse book was Sidhartha, both of which I read in high school. I read the complete Remembrance of Things Past (Proust) twice with two different translations. Still one of the greatest books ever written.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2014, HudsonView wrote:
I read about 11 or 12. Steppenwolf was the first book I ever read in one sitting, but my favorite Hesse book was Sidhartha, both of which I read in high school. I read the complete Remembrance of Things Past (Proust) twice with two different translations. Still one of the greatest books ever written.

As a teenager, Hesse was asking all the questions that were burning in my heart. I've been reticent to revisit the books because I have a sneaking suspicion they'll be full of disappointment.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5042 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well, that's a very interesting thing too. I read an awful lot as a teen, a lot of the classics; now I look back and say how the heck did I ever make it through those books, and what could I have possibly gotten from them at that age? And yet I remember loving them.
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
Same here Landmark and Magnus. I remember sitting up all night in high school reading Steppenwolf. Haven't read it since but I remember not being able to put it down then. The only other book I did that with was Catcher in the Rye, also in high school. On The Road is one of those books that I love or hate depending on how old I was when I read/re-read it. Loved it in college, hated it in my 30's (thought it was terribly written), came back to it again in my 40's. The only author that I have consistantly read and re-read throoughout my life was Henry Miller, which I still continue to read and be inspired by. After my divorce, my Henry Miller books where the only thing I took with me.

Magic Mountain was another one of those books that I read and re-read a number of times.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 100 Best Novels, in Translation, Since 1900 (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL