The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » TT Handling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
I'd like to see what others are doing with the device other than the lit cig, salt, and scarves.

Tom Gagnon's booklet has a great supply of coin work with TT's, including some silk effects.

If you want to go to the next level with your TT, get this booklet. Actually, I may just delete this post and keep it to myself.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Check out the vhs "Rules of Thumb" by Sophie Ashton-Evans. Available from Kevin James.
pepijn
View Profile
Regular user
Utrecht (the netherlands)
134 Posts

Profile of pepijn
Mr. Murphy I am currently on a quest to get used to the weird thing but it just doesn't quite work yet. (I really wanted to get rules of thumb but I don't have a video player so I guess that's a problem)

But I have a question which may sound a little, or maybe not a little weird maybe just plane weird but I actually do seriosly mean it. How do you for instance pick up a pen, shopping basket or how can I use a key, The way I would normally do it would be really exposing the thumb so I keep taking the tt of. Are there methods for these sort of things because I keep having to really put my thumb under my hand in order to keep it out of sight and it just doens't look natural.

Any help would be really appriciated
Pepijn
ps sorry if these questions don't seem to smart but I was just wondering
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are very subtle ways to handle the problem. The main thing you need to conceal with modern TT's is the area where the TT joins the thumb. That's what looks like a plaster (or a band-aid, for us on this side of the pond).

If you do Klause's Bill Switch, you can see how little of it is ever exposed. There are some common sense things as well. For example, if you let your arm fall to your side, let the hand fall in a natural position that will conceal the TT, rather than aiming that side of it at the audience.

The "crossed thumb" handling and the "arthritic hand" position are definite no-nos though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Pepijn,
Keep in mind that the TT doesn't always have to be on the thumb. There are a lot of different positions for holding and concealing it. On the DVD titled Total Eclipse, Jay Scott Berry provides an excellent array of examples (regardless of whether you are useing the eclispe tip or a standard TT).
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
Gary Darwin's video is excellent for this.
magicsarge
View Profile
New user
Northamptonshire, Great Britain
79 Posts

Profile of magicsarge
I also use a TT, my handling has gotten better by wearing during my normal (non-magical day), as has been said I think its all about looking natural and feeling comfortable with it. Keep it on during the day and you'll be suprised how soon you really forget its there.
I do have trouble getting one close to my skin colour (I know I don't have to etc. but I would feel better about the *** thing if it was closer to my skin shade), do any of you guys colour/paint of blend yours in any way?
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
This is only my OPINION and experience. I am a Washington Democrat and people from Texas scare me so be nice. I am only having fun. I see Mr. Palmer is from Texas also and seeing as I owe him one, I'll shut up about it.
I used to be afraid about the angles, but I have found most people don't look at the right place anyway,the thing disapeared out of my palm why look elsewhere?I had a freind so bamboozled that I had the trick going with my hands splayed out TT on backwards and my wife laughing hysterically. I kept telling him to look closely everywhere.
I think everyone here has a good point. I would interject however that if you can just have the confidence to perform without it on your mind even though it's in your hand, you'll be surprised what you can get away with.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
IMHOP generally in handleing the TT it shoul not be visable. There are many ways to transfer it from hand to hand as well as palm it so your t is out. I think using the "straight on" move can be very powerful. THe problem I have seen is that many of us over use that move. doing it once, maybe twic in a longer routine, should be sufficent. Also, there s/b no need to move your hands quickly. Stay relaxed and let it look like normal hand movements. Early on I had the good fortune to get a tape of my performance and saw how quickly I was moving my hands around. I think I was operating under the theory that if I kept it moving they wouldn't have time to see it. I have since slowed down and it looks a lot better.

Bruce

P.S.: I have found watching a tape of my performance is a lot more revealing than prcticing in the mirror. You see yourself from the audiance's perspective. You will pick up very quickly on things that may need to be changed or reworked (or simply practiced a lot more before presenting to the public. Ice Johnson said in his lecture that you should tape yourself from multiple angles so that you can really see what it looks like and what needs additional work.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
pepijn
View Profile
Regular user
Utrecht (the netherlands)
134 Posts

Profile of pepijn
I don't know where you live but maybe you could try magicproshop.com I know that they have volume 3 and if they have that they'r bound too have the other two aswell.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I have found that even though the TT may look and feel awkward to us, it is invisible to the spectator. You don't even have to have a perfect "skin match". If you keep your hands moving and your actions are loose and natural, the TT will remain invisible. Even more invisible when pointed right at them as mentioned above. What a wonderful item we have here! Did a barehanded sugar packet vanish at work. Dumped the sugar in, then the wrapper! BADABING BADABOOM! The sugar was G-O-N-E! Jaws were hitting the floor!

I never really used TT's. I guess I underestimated the powerful effects that are capable with one. I carry mine in my pocket every day now.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Salvano, Pat Page, and Jay Scott Berry are three of my favorites in terms of handling a thumb tip. You can currently get the Pat Page for $10 through L&L and others having a video sale.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jimmy,

I left a post on
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......5&13
for you.

TT handling may move to a new level with your "special" equipment for the next few weeks. You'll be a trend setter!

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Very funny, Bob! LOL!

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
magicandrew
View Profile
New user
Australia
58 Posts

Profile of magicandrew
I have found to get used to the working of the tt wear it for a whole day without taking it off and go about your normal day routines.
you will see.
""Magic is your art handle it well""
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » TT Handling (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL