The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Mat Franco Rub-A-Dub cups and balls routine on AGT (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Steve Friedberg wrote:
C'mon Don,
Of course it was rigged. And Mel B was a stooge. So? If 50 people (i.e., the production crew and the judges) knew it in advance, and it amazed/fooled millions, is that a bad thing?

Than you must be a Chris Angel fan as well.

Don
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Marvello wrote:
Quote:
If 50 people (i.e., the production crew and the judges) knew it in advance, and it amazed/fooled millions, is that a bad thing?

yes.

I am lucky enough to remember seeing REAL magicians perform REAL acts in front of TV audiences, with no stoogery or camera tricks.

ahh those were the days.

And Vernon fooled Houdini not once, not twice, but three times with a gaff. Did that make him less of a pure magician?

I was in Las Vegas two weeks ago watching Mac King. Mac enlisted the help of an audience member to help him pull off his final effect. Holy cow, he used a stooge. Is Mac King any less of a pure magician?

Seems to me that I'm sensing some sour grapes here....that Mat Franco isn't a "real" magician, 'cause he had the audacity to use a stooge. Guess what: Mat's got the $1MM and headline nights in Vegas. Instead of complaining of how he's not a pure magician, we ought to be celebrating his win, and figuring out how we can leverage it to improve our own careers.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
C'mon Don,
Of course it was rigged. And Mel B was a stooge. So? If 50 people (i.e., the production crew and the judges) knew it in advance, and it amazed/fooled millions, is that a bad thing?

Yes that is a bad thing. If you don't see that, perhaps magic should not be your thing. It used to be about fooling people, not using set-ups and camera tricks.

A blatant use of a stooge reduces this from magic to a playlet.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
C'mon Don,

Yes that is a bad thing. If you don't see that, perhaps magic should not be your thing. It used to be about fooling people, not using set-ups and camera tricks.

A blatant use of a stooge reduces this from magic to a playlet.

Ditto
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Mr friedberg: a gaff is not a stooge, and an "instant stooge" is different than a stooge or crew of stooges on the payroll
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
What some people here aren't getting is there is NO CONTEST on AGT.The judges are putting on an act,the call in votes mean nothing.The producers decide who is going to move on and who will win before the first show of the season.The fill in acts have no idea of any of this but they do get their air fair and rooms and meals paid for and get to be on national TV.Not a bad deal for a paid few days.So nobody wins a million dollars or gets a show in Vegas since its all rigged.If everything was on the up and up than nobody would have to sign AGT's non disclosure clause.I'm sure winner's get paid something that makes it well worth their while and that I'm ok with.I dislike the fact that AGT expects me to believe its all on the up and up.Its an insult to my intelligence.For this reason I stopped watching the show years ago.But some people will believe anything you tell them.

Don
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Even after reading this some people will think she is mad because she lost and is lying to get even.
rhpeltz
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of rhpeltz
I don't think he would have much of an act without stooges.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2014, DonDriver wrote:
What some people here aren't getting is there is NO CONTEST on AGT.The judges are putting on an act,the call in votes mean nothing.The producers decide who is going to move on and who will win before the first show of the season.The fill in acts have no idea of any of this but they do get their air fair and rooms and meals paid for and get to be on national TV.Not a bad deal for a paid few days.So nobody wins a million dollars or gets a show in Vegas since its all rigged.If everything was on the up and up than nobody would have to sign AGT's non disclosure clause.I'm sure winner's get paid something that makes it well worth their while and that I'm ok with.I dislike the fact that AGT expects me to believe its all on the up and up.Its an insult to my intelligence.For this reason I stopped watching the show years ago.But some people will believe anything you tell them.

Don

You are spot on, Don.
blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
Mat did a very good job with the cups. An yes I agree the show is about as real as TV wrestling.

Paul
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I never watch as Don has hit the nail in the head. The things they do to achieve a TV show are pretty manipulative. They actually flew people out just to film them being told they did not make the cut.

From the first year I have turned them down multiple times a year. Now people still run to be on. So few have benefited from the experience. They are out to make what they consider a good TV show and everything is geared to that end.

The strange thing is knowing this people flock to be considered! Even professionals. It reminds me of the people involved in abusive relationships that will be the ones who "change them."

So many in Branson thought being on TV would spur ticket sales. Hardly. People have way too short an attention span for those who lose.

Heck even some of the "finalists" from American Idol (A term used to describe the top 10. I hate when they change word meanings.) are singing servers at a diner! No kidding. And the longer these shows continue the more meaningless having been on actually is. The sad part is people then thimk the phone will ring off the hook with high priced offers and it invariably does not.

It may be good TV, I have no clue as I have never watched. But it is not a good way to treat people.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Mat Franco Rub-A-Dub cups and balls routine on AGT (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL