The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Mat Franco wins AGT (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2014, DonDriver wrote:
AGT is all rigged and the fix is in before the first show of the season is aired.Its phoney as a 3 dollar bill.

Don

Ha! Not sure if that is sarcasm, because you disagree or if you are truly agreeing. Either way, I like your post.

Not so sure that it is "rigged"

There is no doubt he did a descent job, just nowhere near the level of West in my opinion. I typically am one that thinks that the singers should not be on the show, as mentioned above, as there are so many other shows for vocalist, but seriously the best two performers on that stage last night were Quintavious and Emily West, with Acro Army and Miguel running a close third. Not really sure what show America was watching.
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
All the AGT fine print, from the contracts to the liability disclaimers, clearly state that the producers have final say on all results. When you see an act like some loner who plays guitar and sings for his initial audition, are you not surprised when when three episodes later he's got a full band and back-up singers? When a ventriloquist auditions with a crude paper-mache mask on his pet dog, and the very next time he appears the dog is wearing a multi-thousand $$$ animated prosthetic does that not register with you guys?

The AGT producers pour money, time, and other resources into the acts they want to promote. The "judges" clearly are working from predetermined scripts, and the acts that will be moving forward know well in advance so they (and their individual AGT-provided producers) can plan, script, and rehearse their next routines. The acts that the producers don't care about are typically left to flounder amongst their own devices. "Rigged" is an understatement, but if anyone thinks ANY "reality TV" has anything to do with actual reality then they deserve to be fooled by it.

DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
A friend of mine had his 8 year old son on AGT.Hes a knife thrower.He won the first round.The contract his dad signed says in it that just because you win the first round,that's no guarantee you will be called back to be on a second time.He never got called back.

magicwatcher2005,You are right on about no reality TV show has anything to do with "reality".Rigged is the only word I could think of without my post being deleted....what I really think of AGT...well.

I guess we should all worry about all the bad things going on in the world instead of a fixed so called talent show.

Don
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I remember when Dan Sylvester here and he said that he was planted to be there in the front of the line just to use him some promos, and he also said "I am not sure of anything at this point except that nothing seems on the up and up."
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Don, magicwatcher and tmoca,
Instead of criticizing the show, why not figure out ways that you can leverage the increased positive awareness that Mat's win has brought magic? For instance, II've already put out three bids which say that if they hire me, they'll see the kind of million-dollar magic that just won America's Got Talent.

I, too, thought David and Leeman were better...but I'm delighted that Mat won, because it's good news for us as magicians. Honestly, I'm concerned that your criticism comes off as little more than sour grapes. This is a great opportunity for you to showcase your talents: don't channel the energy in negative directions.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Steve Friedberg wrote:
Instead of criticizing the show, why not figure out ways that you can leverage the increased positive awareness that Mat's win has brought magic? For instance, II've already put out three bids which say that if they hire me, they'll see the kind of million-dollar magic that just won America's Got Talent.

I, too, thought David and Leeman were better...but I'm delighted that Mat won, because it's good news for us as magicians. Honestly, I'm concerned that your criticism comes off as little more than sour grapes. This is a great opportunity for you to showcase your talents: don't channel the energy in negative directions.

We have the right to criticize the show for one...we don't have to like it...and no one has to agree...and personally, I have no need or desire to associate myself with AGT, or Franco in anyway.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
And, he wasn't that good. He screwed up the ACR FFS. I don't care that he recovered well.

Flame away!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
I finally saw the finale and I held my breath each time an act was removed. I thought for sure Emily West was going to win. My heart leapt when they called Matt's name!
He beat some very very very talented people.
I also tip my hat to the rest of our magic brothers who went so very far!!
WELL DONE MATT! Smile Smile
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10019 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So why watch AGT if you don't like it, feel it's rigged and have nothing good to say about it? Yjis has always amazed me. You do have a choice you know.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
So why watch AGT if you don't like it, feel it's rigged and have nothing good to say about it? Yjis has always amazed me. You do have a choice you know.

I don't recall anyone saying that they didn't enjoy the overall show.

I did enjoy the show, I just didn't particularly agree with the outcome. There were some VERY talented people on there and I very much enjoyed many of the performances. Everyone in the finals was good, there is no question about it. All were entertaining, the best simply did not win.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Emily West was signed to Capitol Records Nashville, she debuted on Billboard's Hot Country Songs charts in early 2008 with the single "Rocks in Your Shoes". This song peaked at No. 39 early in the year, and is the first single from a self-titled EP. She entered the country charts a second time with "Blue Sky", a duet with Keith Urban, in 2010. Emily appeared in the April 18, 2010 episode of Celebrity Apprentice, as the "music make-over" target for the women's team led by Cyndi Lauper. Lauper won the challenge and as a result West donated 100% of the first month of iTunes sales of her song "Blue Sky" to the Stonewall Community Foundation, Lauper's charity.

So.. why was she allowed to be on AGT? If they allow performers on AGT who already have established themselves in their art, why don't we see well-known bands or for that matter Magic Acts (I am sure that Richard Turner or Pop Haydn someone similar would win hands down)?

As Don said - it is all rigged. I still watch the show, but I am realistic about it.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
they
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of they
I was in the audience at Radio City when Matt won, and let me tell you I knew it from the start if the show. Not because it was rigged, but because every time his name was mentioned there was an ear splitting screech from every pre pubescent girl in the house. And those girls vote. A lot.

I was gobsmacked that Quintavious or Emily didn't win, and the producers implored us not to boo after Quintavious' elimination set the crowd off.

As to "reality", Ed Sheeran and Train weren't in the house that night, their segments were prerecorded the week before. And Matt's segment with Rosie and Howard, and Q's duet with JHud were taped just prior to air. Always interesting to see the sausage get made.

I don't think the acts know who wins, based on what I saw onstage off air. They congratulated each other and wished each other luck off air, and one of the producers came by and did the same. It was off mic and not done for the crowd. Also, I could read nick's prompter and the name of the eliminated acts were not on it - he reads them off cards. Matts name in lights onstage was superimposed in, as well.

It is clear that the pool is stacked with ringers, with some acts invited to "audition." Dittleman has said as much here on the forum. Not everyone stands in line....

All that said, does anyone have a read on the Out of This World handling for the audience member "human cards" shuffle? Pre***w?
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Marvello wrote:

So.. why was she allowed to be on AGT? If they allow performers on AGT who already have established themselves in their art, why don't we see well-known bands or for that matter Magic Acts (I am sure that Richard Turner or Pop Haydn someone similar would win hands down)?

We do. Kevin James was on there, as were others that have already had "established" themselves/shows. Didn't Mike Super also have a show in Vegas? Maybe not, but I thought they mentioned that.

I feel many folks could go on there are have a good shot at winning. Performers from many fields, not just ours. The question is how many people really want to participate in a talent show?
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I think that Kevin James was a ringer also, and that is also why he couldn't win, just like Emily West. Perhaps I am overthinking things, but it doesn't really matter - it's just a TV reality show, and I am glad that magic and magicians were featured on three heavily this season. Yay magic!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The term reality television is just like plastic silverware or government intelligence.
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Steve Friedberg wrote:
Instead of criticizing the show, [...]

Steve, instead of jumping on me for "criticizing" the show, why don't you learn to read a little more carefully so you'll be able to recognize that I was simply reporting factual information about the "judging" process?

I support AGT 100% as a show-biz system that has helped many of my friends in magic move onward and upward in their careers. However, that doesn't mean I'm blind to the fact it's not what the public is lead to believe it is.

Holistic Magic
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Holistic Magic
Now that I know more about Emily West, I am glad she did not win. Maybe the voters knew of her career. It is just not as interesting without the rags to riches story. I think Mat had a good story going with his grand ma. I think Quintavious should have won based on talent, but since he did not I am glad it was Mat. I am also glad that the pretty boy who looked like Mark Sanchez formerly of the NY Jets didn't win. If it all is rigged from day one, I don't think Mat Franco would have been the one they were ridding the season on. Also if the judges are 100% in on it then Mel B. and Heidi are very good actresses. Howie was over the top on all magic performances and Howard was guarded. Howard was ignored in many of the earlier performances. One thing that surprised me about Howard is that I would think he would want to know how it is done and I would also think a lot of people would email the judges solutions to the tricks, but they acted very surpised or as some would say they just acted. Anything is possible but I do to think it is 100% rigged from day one. Also having the judges be in on the tricks would make sense for a magic competition but for a talent show with other talents that needs to be judged as well that would not make sense. Some that said here that nothing was real are so wrong. The performances were all real by talented performers of all kinds. To dismiss that is so rude. What was missing this year in the finals was a comedian. If it was fixed I think there would have been a comedian in there.
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1140 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Congrats Mat!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2014, DonDriver wrote:
A friend of mine had his 8 year old son on AGT.Hes a knife thrower.He won the first round.The contract his dad signed says in it that just because you win the first round,that's no guarantee you will be called back to be on a second time.He never got called back.

magicwatcher2005,You are right on about no reality TV show has anything to do with "reality".Rigged is the only word I could think of without my post being deleted....what I really think of AGT...well.

I guess we should all worry about all the bad things going on in the world instead of a fixed so called talent show.

Don

Here is your answer: http://realitytv.about.com/od/realitytvn......ging.htm
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Back in the 1950's quiz shows were investigated by the U.S. Senate for rigging the answers.Networks and produce's were fined big money.Don't remember if anybody went to jail or not.Whats the difference in that and AGT ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Mat Franco wins AGT (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL