The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I.S.I.S. (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16~17~18 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
And how would they propose to enforce that? Do they support background checks of private and gun show sales?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2014, landmark wrote:
And how would they propose to enforce that? Do they support background checks of private and gun show sales?

Of course not. They've openly supported legislation that would preserve the gun show and private sales loop holes.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Before issuing guns, sharp knives and so on, the the US government background checks include making sure you are a fully paid up member of the Nazi Muslin Brotherhood.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Ok. Sorry, you are correct Bob- it's not fair to state ALL liberals, just some Liberals and no Conservatives want to take the right to own a gun away. No Conservatives that I know of anyway.

Oh, I'm pretty certain you could find Conservatives who would want to take guns away. It depends on who owns the guns. I wonder what the general consensus of the Black Panthers arming themselves would be among Conservatives.

I'm pretty sure it would be that the ones who haven't been convicted of violent crimes or felonies should be allowed to own guns.

I'm not arguing that, I'm pretty certain most vocal Conservatives (I'm looking at you, Rush) would take to the airwaves ranting about "extremist groups" owning guns.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Ok. Sorry, you are correct Bob- it's not fair to state ALL liberals, just some Liberals and no Conservatives want to take the right to own a gun away. No Conservatives that I know of anyway.

Oh, I'm pretty certain you could find Conservatives who would want to take guns away. It depends on who owns the guns. I wonder what the general consensus of the Black Panthers arming themselves would be among Conservatives.

I'm pretty sure it would be that the ones who haven't been convicted of violent crimes or felonies should be allowed to own guns.

I'm not arguing that, I'm pretty certain most vocal Conservatives (I'm looking at you, Rush) would take to the airwaves ranting about "extremist groups" owning guns.

Well, you said you wondered what the general consensus of conservatives would be. Are there blowhard extremists who are inconsistent? Of course. Do think that's only true of conservatives?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Do you care what the official parrots say?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Http://thegrio.com/2013/01/11/nra-was-pr......anthers/

Quote:
...The organization actively lobbied in favor of the Gun Control Act of 1968, which banned gun sales by mail, and enacted a system of licensing those people and companies who bought and sold firearms. Franklin Orth, then the executive vice president of the NRA, said that although certain aspects of the law “appear unduly restrictive and unjustified in their application to law-abiding citizens, the measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with.”

During that time, the NRA and conservative politicians such as California Governor Ronald Reagan supported gun control as a means of restoring social order, and getting weapons out of the hands of radical, left-leaning and revolutionary groups, particularly the Black Panther Party.

Responding to the perceived failures of the nonviolent civil rights movement, the Black Panthers took a more militant and uncompromising approach of the fallen leader Malcolm X. Led by figures including Huey P. Newton and Bobby Seale, the Panthers’ “by any means necessary” approach included a most aggressive gun ownership policy to protect their communities from police abuse.

Beginning in 1966, the Panthers carried out police patrols, in which they rushed to the scene of an arrest with their loaded weapons publicly displayed, and notified those being arrested of their constitutional rights. California state legislator Don Mulford introduced a bill to repeal the state law allowing citizens to carry loaded guns in public if they were openly displayed. Mulford had the Panthers in mind with this legislation.

On May 2, 1967, a group of Black Panthers protested the bill by walking into the California State Capitol Building fully armed. In response, the legislature passed the Mulford Act. And Gov. Reagan, who was a major proponent of disarming the Panthers, signed the bill into law, effectively neutralizing the Panther Police Patrols.

Yet, in the 1970s the NRA began to shift their direction rightward and actively lobby for gun rights. Their chief lobbyist, Harlon Carter, was a former border control agent and staunch supporter of gun rights. In 1977, Carter and his faction staged a coup within the NRA, against an establishment that wanted to shift away from gun control and crime in favor of conservation and sportsmen’s issues.

With the Black Panther Party and other left wing gun control foes out of the picture, the new hardline NRA feared the government would similarly take away their guns. Further, these predominantly white and conservative gun rights advocates in the NRA shared the Panthers’ distrust of the police.

Ironically, Ronald Reagan—who had signed the Mulford Act to disarm the Black Panther Party—changed his stance and advocated for guns as a defense against state power.

“So isn’t it better for the people to own arms than to risk enslavement by power-hungry men or nations? The founding fathers thought so,” Reagan said in a radio commentary in 1975.

In 1980, the NRA endorsed Reagan for president, the first such endorsement by the group. On March 30, 1981, President Reagan and three others were shot and injured by John Hinckley, Jr., 25, outside the Washington Hilton Hotel.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
What about ISIS infiltrating our porous south border? Should it be tightened like the Israel wall? Or are some waiting for another 9-11 to happen or worse?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
What proof do you have that they're infiltrating the border?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Despite what some right wingers and GOP members are saying, there is absolutely NO evidence to support the allegation that ISIS is infiltrating our southern borders. And even FOX news has questioned it.

The allegation has been rated "Pants on Fire" by Politifact: http://www.politifact.com/texas/statemen......r-patro/

Quote:
Fox News, in its original Oct. 8, 2014, online news report on Hunter’s declaration, quoted the Department of Homeland Security disputing his account.

Homeland Security told PolitiFact Texas that no such apprehensions have occurred. An agency spokeswoman, Marsha Catron, emailed: "The suggestion that individuals who have ties to ISIL have been apprehended at the Southwest border is categorically false, and not supported by any credible intelligence or the facts on the ground. DHS continues to have no credible intelligence to suggest terrorist organizations are actively plotting to cross the southwest border."

And after Hunter spoke, the Texas Department of Public Safety wrote state legislators, saying in an Oct. 8, 2014, email it "does not have any information to confirm" statements about Islamic terrorists or ISIS fighters entering the country. A DPS spokesman, Tom Vinger, confirmed the message’s authenticity.

In the message, a DPS deputy director, Robert Bodisch, mentioned the Hunter interview and an Oct. 8, 2014, news report by Judicial Watch, a conservative news website, stating Islamic terrorists had entered the country from Mexico. According to unidentified Homeland Security sources, Judicial Watch said four terrorists had been apprehended in the previous 36 hours by federal authorities and the DPS in McAllen and Pharr.

In the message to legislators, Bodisch further wrote: "An unsecure border is certainly a vulnerability that can be exploited by criminals of all kinds, and it would be naïve to rule out the possibility that any criminal organization would not look for opportunities to take advantage of security gaps along our international border. That said, DPS does not have any information to confirm the specific statements recently reported in the press."

So let's stop the fear-mongering.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
That's right, Bob. Here is a clip of the ISIS fear mongering going on at Fox News:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8LDynohu......3A0ZjYjQ

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
So some Isis members have been stopped from entering. Is it reasonable that ANY have made it across? If so, the border needs to be tightened. Unless of course you'd rather gamble with the safety of our country. If you don't live in our country, no need to reply.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Is our northern border less porous? Heck our coastline is fairly unguarded. If you want to use fear do it right.

Better yet not doing it works better.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Where is your evidence, lunatik, the ANY ISIS members have been stopped at the Mexican border?

Hint: There is none. This is just more right-wing fear mongering that some are shamelessly peddling for political reasons.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
You are correct Danny. I'd lock down al of our borders.

And Bob, if there was enough evidence of Isis members entering our country through our borders to satisfy your requirements, would you EVER approve of locking down our border? If not, Please provide an example where you would. Don't beat around the bush, please spell out an example.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I note how you completely ignored my request that you provide ANY evidence, let alone evidence that would support whatever you seem to think my requirements are, that ISIS members have attempted to cross the border.

And if you can't, please stop the fear mongering. It's getting laughable.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
They first confirmed that they detained 3-4 ISIS members but now they don't want to confirm anything. Seems suspicious, eh? It should, but with millions of illegal immigrants and a lot lot liberal supporters not wanting us to lockdown the border, it's stopping our gov't from using common sense. Talk about politics!!! You do realize terrorists have entered our country and have successfully entered our country killing thousands, right? Or did you so soon forget? Yes, they flew into our country and it's nowadays it's a lot harder for them to just hop on a plane and fly here. Do you REALLY think that the next best place for these terrorists to enter our country is not our borders? One would have to be either willfully ignorant or just plain dumb to think not

Bob, Please answer my previous question:

Please provide an example where you would lock down our borders. Don't beat around the bush, please spell out a couple of examples.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Folks want to confuse south americans seeking economic ( and political ) benefits by entering into our country as illegals with islamic terrorists?

is there really that much support for islam in south america that such would be feasible?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2014, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Folks want to confuse south americans seeking economic ( and political ) benefits by entering into our country as illegals with islamic terrorists?

is there really that much support for islam in south america that such would be feasible?

Are you saying that terrorists would make known their beliefs and intents to the locals? Would that be advantageous to the terrorists in completing their mission? Possibly, if it was some of the cartels?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
IMHO the locals are not so tolerant of (militant) non-christian faiths or politics that could interfere with their business.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I.S.I.S. (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL