The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ideas for a painting reveal (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
I have a halloween show coming up and am thinking of using an effect with a blindfolded spectator that 'paints' a reveal on a canvas. I'd like to do it using some sort of invisible ink or paint on the canvas that is processed by whatever the spectator has on their brush, but am having trouble finding any information on a good medium. It needs to turn dark enough to be seen by the people in the back row in a theater which seats about a thousand. Any pointers?
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2664 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Wow! sounds like an original idea. What was your inspiration?
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
I saw a reveal on Wizard Wars where one of the contestants used a squirt gun to spray a canvas, which 'painted' Penn's face.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
796 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Not exactly what you are looking for but that's still a painting reveal : Derren brown did something in wich he would paint using false muscle r*****g (in Svengali if I am not mistaken).

Otherwise you could play with a colored indicator (hightschool chemistry) to paint the picture on the canvas, the spectator would use a basic or rather acid solution to activate it...
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
If you look around, there was a mentalist who did a reveal-like effect painting charlie chaplin. I forgot where I saw it, but it came out very clean.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, D.J. Ayur wrote:
If you look around, there was a mentalist who did a reveal-like effect painting charlie chaplin. I forgot where I saw it, but it came out very clean.

That was Haim Goldenberg, and the painting was legitimately done.
http://youtu.be/r5lta096wNc
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Nestor D wrote:
Not exactly what you are looking for but that's still a painting reveal : Derren brown did something in wich he would paint using false muscle r*****g (in Svengali if I am not mistaken).

Otherwise you could play with a colored indicator (hightschool chemistry) to paint the picture on the canvas, the spectator would use a basic or rather acid solution to activate it...

Derren did this? that's annoying! I've been doing a drawing dupe using fake muscle reading for a while and thought I was being quite original!
FitoCrawford
View Profile
New user
Madrid
11 Posts

Profile of FitoCrawford
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

It's a wonderful routine and nicely done but I think the painting was not legitimately done... but maybe I'm wrong.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, FitoCrawford wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

It's a wonderful routine and nicely done but I think the painting was not legitimately done... but maybe I'm wrong.

You are mistaken.

He worked hard for the past few years on his painting, and shared his progress with his friends on facebook.
Haim has become an amazing artist.

Tony
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Maybe this isn't the best place to discuss methods?
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
FitoCrawford
View Profile
New user
Madrid
11 Posts

Profile of FitoCrawford
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, Cervier wrote:

You're right, sorry.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1036 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Are you trying to make it seem as though they legitimately paint the picture while blindfolded?
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, Cervier wrote:

I'm not really looking for a method - I've got that. What I'm after is info about where to research the tools needed to make my method a go, specifically about where I can find information on chemically reactive invisible ink or paint. Nestor's thought has merit and I'm checking my old high school chemistry books! Thanks!!
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, StuartPalm wrote:
Are you trying to make it seem as though they legitimately paint the picture while blindfolded?

Well, not a perfect painting, but yes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ideas for a painting reveal (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL