The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Drinking before a show (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I can't drink coffee before a show. Makes me have to pee!
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
No, that's your age. The coffee just helps you remember your name and where the show is.
Doc_Z
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
229 Posts

Profile of Doc_Z
I happened to be reading 13 Steps tonight, specifically the Blindfolds step. I came across this passage which seems somehow relevant to this thread...

"You might be visiting a friend to show a few tricks at a party. When you arrive, suppose you spot a mantlepiece over the fireplace. Stand there a moment and have a look at any brass monkey, 'Made in Birmingham,' or a photograph of a young man in uniform perhaps bearing a signature. Half an hour later you can do something with this knowledge. Don't waste your time gazing into a glass of gin--the Spirits won't help you!"
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1107 Posts

Profile of reese
I'm conflicted @ this thread. What's the toast? Before or after? Or just "confusion to the enemy!" ...yeah, 'nuff for me.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Stefmagic,

Seems like you are talking from experience, so can you elaborate on how you lost your adrenaline? lol Smile

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Sep 20, 2014, Stefmagic wrote:
By drinking you might loose you nervousness but, you also will loose your adrenalin that drive you in performance
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, a small amount of alcohol can actually boost energy in some individuals.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
I/E (Brains over emotions) becomes E/I....emotions over brains)

as a depressant, I agree it can in some give a boost.
Part of this may be the brakes in our brains are altered a bit.

Each of our chemistry, and history with ETOH/alcohol will determine the effect.

A long term drinker may be able to "tolerate" an amount of liquor which would lead one person to standing ovations, while others to not knowing how to end musical numbers on their guitar, to the floor, emergency room or the morgue.

The number of responses to this thread is very interesting.

Harris
still 2 old to know it all
and who has worked with all the above type of drinkers
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
magician304
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of magician304
I agree with the majority here…. never have. I want to be totally in control of everything that I do onstage as I need to be totally on point 100% of the time and thinking and reacting very quickly to things spectators might say, technical difficulties that might arise, one never really knows what will happen Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Occasionally a glass of wine...especially if I am offered and/or an open bar. I just become one of the guests strolling around and mingling. Takes the edge off and never had a problem with it. That being said, getting smashed and doing a perfomance could be a disaster....
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18821 Posts

Profile of IAIN
What is this word 'sober'?
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
I couldn't drink coffee before a show, it makes me shake!

However, a sip or two of any kind of alcohol really helps (ME)

But I don't always do it.
I shall see you on the other side.
Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
If I'm doing a late show I'll have one maybe two at the most. Helps be in the same zone as your drunk audience.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2370 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I don't judge as others have their own reality that works for them. For me, I always feel that any performance is a concentrated segment of life. Everything is compressed, heightened and magnified in order to bring the most entertainment to the audience in the shortest time. It involves not only mastery and command of the effects you'll be performing but getting feedback and adjusting to the subtleties and nuances of that particular audience and especially each spectator you work with directly. I'm operating at a much higher frequency when I'm performing and virtually any impairment would slow down my processing of information I need to create that show on the spot. Now after the show... that's a different matter!!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
If you think you perform better having a drink or two---I recommend you record your performance and listen to it after. It may surprise you.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
I never said I perform better having a drink or two!

I said a sip or two Smile
I shall see you on the other side.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
816 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Interesting thread; I haven't seen it before.

My personal rule is I allow myself ONE drink before a show (if desired). Any more drinks come after I perform only.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Easy answer - DON'T.

Only drink water before the show.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
How about a spoonful or sip about 10 minutes prior to the end of the strolling cut off time? Smile
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1574 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
How about having a drink before you post on here? Smile
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
There are some very famous mentalists who drink before shows. One even frequents these forums on a regular basis. Has it helped him? I suppose at first it did, but he does not perform much anymore.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Drinking before a show (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL