The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Drinking before a show (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..10~11~12 [Next]
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1107 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Slim King wrote:
Lot's of musicians drink all night long .. It works for some and inhibits others.

As a working musician, over many decades of experience, band members who drink all night long, funk the set up ( not in a good way) and get fined or fired from the band. Strong use of alcohol and good musicianship don't mix. Never.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1474 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Jazz cigarettes on the other hand tend to help when playing guitar.... or so I've been told.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1107 Posts

Profile of reese
Uh... no comment. Except the last one. Ya know... where I said "no comment". Course, that's a different cup of tea.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1474 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I wholeheartedly reccomend a nice glass of hibiscus mint tea before a show, if you must have a drink.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1107 Posts

Profile of reese
Yeah, it'll funk up your fingers in a good way.
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
Ironically the only thread in Penny that doesn't mention BC. Smile

I can't talk though. Literally. I'm spazzed off my tits on ketamine.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1107 Posts

Profile of reese
Well, come on down! Have a cuppa. It'll relax ya. So I've been told.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1107 Posts

Profile of reese
Weirdest Penny thread ever. No one's promoting a product or offering a pre-order.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1658 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
It's funny you should mention this because I'm opening the pre-order on my latest book Alcofrolics Anomalous - Mental Miracles for the Modern Drunk, details on my site. <3
-+: https://www.miscellaneousmiracles.co.uk :+-

20% off a collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1137 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I appreciate the realists out there who mentioned comparing non traditional work (magic / Mentalism / in my case - DJing) to an office job.

I don't think the difference can be emphasized enough.

I would NEVER drink before going into my (previously held) office job (at a fortune 50 company btw). However I drank frequently while DJing 3-4 nights a week. I was also in my 20s at the time. My colleagues, manager, AND director frequently came to my residency and heard me spin. They never criticized me at work because they liked having VIP access PLUS I did my best to never let DJing affect my work.

My point is - as MUCH as I admire those who treat performing like a "real" 9-5 job, the two are quite different. Whether you're an actor, musician, magican, street performer, dancer WHATEVER - you have a pressure put upon you that no 9-5 person can relate to. You also have more leeway to dictate what is and isn't appropriate and more leeway to define who you are and how you act.

Again, NOT saying that drinking "on the job" is ok. JUST trying to express the differences between traditional work and being a performing artist.
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
917 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2014, saysold1 wrote:

I tend to think along the lines of Richard O or Ken Weber from his book - we are kind of "supermen" (or women) and you would never catch Superman drinking booze or eating the food.

That's an awfull reason for not drinking/eating (not saying you should, just saying it's the wrong reason), If anything that argument should be to support drinking.
Reader discretion is advised.
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
By drinking you might loose you nervousness but, you also will loose your adrenalin that drive you in performance
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2573 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
It's interesting to read peoples posts in response to this question. Like many responses to various subjects on the Café it's curious to see that many feel that the way they go about a certain thing is the only acceptable way.

"This is how I do it and every other possibility falls short of this", often seems to be the knee-jerk and prevalent response to any subject.

More interesting and informative responses, of which there are also many within this thread, give reasons or explanations as to why the poster holds their particular view. This is so much more interesting and informative than simply stating a position as if it's the only possible way to proceed. With this additional information it's possible to make a judgement as to whether or not the answer has a relevance to own's own situation and gives an insight into other situations that one might not have considered and that might have a bearing on other situations.

Less dogmatism and more explanation is not only more interesting, it's more helpful and has the added bonus of being likely to keep the Café stay a more convivial place.

I know that alcohol, before a show, even in a small amount, has the potential to take the edge of my own performance. For this reason I personally wouldn't have a drink before a show. My nerves don't need steadying and I already feel fearless and I like to feel an edge rather than go on feeling relaxed. Relaxed to me equates to a loss of energy and I do my best to keep my show's energy levels high.

However I can see that the affects of; relaxing you, making you feel at ease and making you more fearless, might help some performers.

The comments in this thread, made about the inappropriateness of alcohol on one's breath in various performing environments are points well made and valuable to consider.

Many people who have jobs which require them to perform in front of the public suffer from anxiety that the situation they work in brings them and I can understand why some might use alcohol to mitigate this. Bill Werbenik, the late Canadian snooker player was as famous for the amount of lager he consumed both before and during his snooker matches as he was for his playing. Often 21 pints or more!!! He later used Beta blockers, as did many other snooker players, until they became banned as a performance enhancing drug.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I have seen a lot of talented performers in an alcoholic state before performing. So my answer is cultural independant... NO!
Meditate, eat something , drink water or do something else if you need to be relaxed an in a nice mood before show time, but NOT alcohol.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
You also have to take note of the type of people that say its rude and you shoudnt. Not pointing out anyone specific, but I bet you more times than not. People that are totally against it, and probably against drinking in general, and are really big sticklers about being careful of not being rude... Are a um... certain type of person. That probably cannot relate to the normal guy that can have a drink and socialize and has a lot of friends and a night life and has a life outside of magic.

I tried to be vague, if you understand what I am saying, you probably arnt one of the people I am pointing out. IF you argue it or don't understand. well... that's my point.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2075 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I suppose each needs to decide for him or herself and then take responsibility for their behavior. I don't drink alcohol before a show.

Regards, Steve
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2014, Head Case wrote:
You also have to take note of the type of people that say its rude and you shoudnt. Not pointing out anyone specific, but I bet you more times than not. People that are totally against it, and probably against drinking in general, and are really big sticklers about being careful of not being rude... Are a um... certain type of person. That probably cannot relate to the normal guy that can have a drink and socialize and has a lot of friends and a night life and has a life outside of magic.

I tried to be vague, if you understand what I am saying, you probably arnt one of the people I am pointing out. IF you argue it or don't understand. well... that's my point.

absolutely not... I'm totally against drinking before a paid gig, but otherwise..fully for a good drink up...

maybe those who feel its ok to drink and still think they are absolutely great and marvellous - are fooling themselves on a few levels...boozing to paper over the cracks...and any kind of justification will do...

^not nice to make generalisations y'see...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2014, Head Case wrote:

Hey, I had not even commented on this thread, why single me out?
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Here's a simple question...

Would you want the doctor or anesthesiologist catching a little buzz before your surgery?

NO you say???

Why?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
Here's a simple question...

Would you want the doctor or anesthesiologist catching a little buzz before your surgery?

NO you say???

Why?

Of course I wouldn't. But my doctor's a riot when he does card tricks with a buzz on.

I've refrained from commenting on this thread, but will leave you with these words of wisdom from the legendary Joe E. Lewis:

"If you can lay on the floor without holding on, you're not drunk."

:eek:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Drinking before a show (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL